Gun Control -

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
New Zealand: 56,000 guns handed over during amnesty (Archive)

More than 56,000 weapons have been handed to authorities in New Zealand during a six-month amnesty, police say.

The buy-back scheme was launched when authorities banned semi-automatic weapon in response to the killing of 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch.

The ban was agreed by parliament weeks after the 15 March shootings - the worst in modern times in New Zealand.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, a self-proclaimed white supremacist, has been charged and faces trial next year.

Was the programme a success?
The scheme was launched in April.

In return for handing in the firearms, owners were compensated up to 95% of the original price of the weapons.

The programme ended on 20 December with police hailing the amnesty as a success.

"We have taken well over 50,000 of these guns out of our community. That's got to be a good thing," said Police Minister Stuart Nash.

However the amnesty has faced some criticism from some groups including the Council of Licensed Firearms Owners.

The group's spokeswoman Nicole McKee told the New Zealand Herald that she believed there were 170,000 prohibited guns in the country.

Speaking about gun owners, she said: "Some of them are going to hide their firearms, some of them are protecting history and some of them - a good portion of them - don't know what's going on."

In 2016, New Zealand Police estimated that there were 1.2 million legal firearms owned by civilians - which equates to around one for every four people.

What happened in Christchurch?
On 15 March, Brenton Tarrant attacked the Al Noor mosque and Linwood Islamic Centre in Christchurch.

He is charged with the murder of 51 people, 40 counts of attempted murder and one terrorism charge.

The gunman was armed with semi-automatic rifles, and is believed to have modified his weapons with high-capacity magazines so they could hold more bullets.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges and is expected to face trial next year.

• DRINK!
Reactions: ConfederateIrishman

Get_your_kicks_with_30-06

I have become Based, the destroyer of Libs
kiwifarms.net
New Zealand: 56,000 guns handed over during amnesty (Archive)

More than 56,000 weapons have been handed to authorities in New Zealand during a six-month amnesty, police say.

The buy-back scheme was launched when authorities banned semi-automatic weapon in response to the killing of 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch.

The ban was agreed by parliament weeks after the 15 March shootings - the worst in modern times in New Zealand.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, a self-proclaimed white supremacist, has been charged and faces trial next year.

Was the programme a success?
The scheme was launched in April.

In return for handing in the firearms, owners were compensated up to 95% of the original price of the weapons.

The programme ended on 20 December with police hailing the amnesty as a success.

"We have taken well over 50,000 of these guns out of our community. That's got to be a good thing," said Police Minister Stuart Nash.

However the amnesty has faced some criticism from some groups including the Council of Licensed Firearms Owners.

The group's spokeswoman Nicole McKee told the New Zealand Herald that she believed there were 170,000 prohibited guns in the country.

Speaking about gun owners, she said: "Some of them are going to hide their firearms, some of them are protecting history and some of them - a good portion of them - don't know what's going on."

In 2016, New Zealand Police estimated that there were 1.2 million legal firearms owned by civilians - which equates to around one for every four people.

What happened in Christchurch?
On 15 March, Brenton Tarrant attacked the Al Noor mosque and Linwood Islamic Centre in Christchurch.

He is charged with the murder of 51 people, 40 counts of attempted murder and one terrorism charge.

The gunman was armed with semi-automatic rifles, and is believed to have modified his weapons with high-capacity magazines so they could hold more bullets.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges and is expected to face trial next year.
This buyback shit never ceases to amaze me. I can understand (I highly disagree with it but still understand) banning the sale of these "scary guns" but a buyback program pretty much tells me that the government thinks I am a mass murder waiting to come out. The world is fucking gay yo

• Feels
Reactions: Urist Steelthrone

Julias_Seizure

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
I think either everyone should have guns or noone should. Noone having them would be ideal because lower kill count but thats never going to happen eapecially in the states. If everyone has them noone would have any advantage over anyone else by having one and people who do would be more hesitant to actually use them if they know theyll likely get shot back at.

Trying to implement gun control would mean the only people with guns are the ones who dont give a shit about the law and would only give those types of people more power than they already have.

Duke Nukem

Leader of the Anti-Chad Extermination Squad
kiwifarms.net
I think either everyone should have guns or noone should. Noone having them would be ideal because lower kill count but thats never going to happen eapecially in the states. If everyone has them noone would have any advantage over anyone else by having one and people who do would be more hesitant to actually use them if they know theyll likely get shot back at.

Trying to implement gun control would mean the only people with guns are the ones who dont give a shit about the law and would only give those types of people more power than they already have.
Also, I love how these people always yell "It's the law!" and then shout about how the police are racist for doing their jobs. No dog in the BLM/LE fight here but it just underlines how exceptional gun control advocates really are in the grand scheme of things.

The funniest part is that they automatically believe that people will turn in their stuff just because "no scurry black guns plz" was written on a fancy piece of paper. GC advocates are dumber than communists when it comes to their tendency to outright ignore human nature.

Julias_Seizure

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
Also, I love how these people always yell "It's the law!" and then shout about how the police are racist for doing their jobs. No dog in the BLM/LE fight here but it just underlines how exceptional gun control advocates really are in the grand scheme of things.

The funniest part is that they automatically believe that people will turn in their stuff just because "no scurry black guns plz" was written on a fancy piece of paper. GC advocates are dumber than communists when it comes to their tendency to outright ignore human nature.
This exactly. Those people act like something being illegal automatically just wipes it out of existance when all it does is drive it further underground where theres next to nothing that can be done to control it.

If the government kept it legal but put regulations on it then they actually have some level of control over it as opposed to just arresting the occasional guy whos dumb enough to get caught that will be replaced by 2 more guys almost immediately

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Vecr

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
I am amazed California still allows Self Defense though the robber looks white thanks to his nose sticking out like a sore thumb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California veteran shoots robbery suspect who pistol-whipped him at market (Archive)

A U.S. Air Force veteran working as a clerk in a northern California market shot and killed a robbery suspect Sunday after the perp clocked him in the head with his gun, according to reports.

Surveillance video captured the moment two armed, masked robbery suspects stormed Kam's Market in Bay Point, Calif., located in the San Francisco Bay area around 11 p.m. The footage shows one suspect approach Mark Kasbrowicz behind the register and hit him in the head with his gun, knocking him to the ground. As the suspect loaded cash into his bag, Kasbrowicz managed to get up and grab the store’s gun out of a drawer.

“I don't know if it was fear and adrenaline kicked in together, but I tried to protect myself a little. He forced me onto the ground, he held me down," Kasbrowicz told San Francisco's KGO-TV. He said his co-worker was being held at gunpoint by the second suspect off-camera during the struggle.

The situation escalated when the masked man noticed Kasbrowicz was armed. He began to beat Kasbrowicz until one of the guns went off, causing him to flee the store. That’s when Kasbrowicz fired at him.

"I just looked around, and he was running, and just by instinct, I let go a shot," Kasprowicz told San Francisco Bay Area’s KNTV."I managed to squeeze off one round, and apparently after the fact I found out that I actually hit him."

The suspect who attacked Kasbrowicz collapsed in the parking lot and died from the gunshot wound, reports said. The second suspect managed to run out of the store and escape. Kasbrowicz received 17 staples in the head after the incident. Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office said Kasprowicz acted in self-defense and is continuing to search for the second man who fled the scene.

“Sure he is deceased now but then again I'm lucky to be alive, I am lucky my co-worker is alive,” Kasbrowicz said of the man he killed. "I was certainly in shock when I saw the video. I didn't know how serious it was until I actually saw it."

Kasprowicz spent two decades in private security after he served in the Air Force.

• Thunk-Provoking

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
Nice to see democrats as well argue for Second Amendment rights even though they would be the equivalent of a Pro-Abortion Republican.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite quotes:

Just say "Look, the right is always going to have guns, the 1% will always own the police. White supremacists and Nazis have been filling the ranks of the police for decades now. The left has to stop unilaterally disarming themselves"
This is a common problem with partisan hacks of all colors (red, blue, etc.). Try debating on why we need a public option with a Trump supporter. Any evidence goes through one ear and out the other--they outright deny established facts that aren't even subject to debate.

The only real fix is to find some common ground and try to empathize with why they feel the way they feel. They're not operating rationally to begin with, it's a reaction to a perceived threat.

It helps you speak their language and use anchors they understand in order to convince them.

I think liberals are already slowly being convinced gun rights might be smart given one can't trust the police, and right-wing demagoguery and domestic terrorism is on the rise. There are some frightening similarities to the early days of Fascism.

Would you trust the gestapo to prevent a crowd from murdering a minority? Fuck, they encouraged it with their "Pogroms".

I personally think volunteering to educate minorities on their gun rights, and perhaps helping them get them concealed carries, is a good place to spend your time convincing others they may want to take control over their own defense. Black people know full well what it's like to be disenfranchised in every way, including having their right to defend themselves attacked.
You mean these are the guys who will be dealing with claymore roomba
NYC honestly seems like a terrible place to be unless you're a rich white liberal. They make gun ownership oppressively hard, the pigs keep breaking the law for fake drug busts b/c the war on drugs is still full speed over there, and the police and politicians hate black and brown people

I wrote pro 2nd amendment emails to some candidates, senators and President Trump, here are the responses I got so far:

Donald Trump:

View attachment 1084922

Tulsi Gabbard:

View attachment 1084927

Diane Feinstein:

View attachment 1084932
30000 gun related deaths
2800000 total deaths annually
Gun deaths account for 1% of total deaths
Lets narrow down to number of deaths by unnatural causes (~200000, and this is likely an underestimate)
At best, assuming that 30000 figure is not including suicides and accidents (as you should note she did not say homicides) thats 15% of all unnatural causes of death.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
30000 gun related deaths
2800000 total deaths annually
Gun deaths account for 1% of total deaths
Lets narrow down to number of deaths by unnatural causes (~200000, and this is likely an underestimate)
At best, assuming that 30000 figure is not including suicides and accidents (as you should note she did not say homicides) thats 15% of all unnatural causes of death.
~30k is all gun deaths, including suicides and justifiable homicides.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
I only wish there was a way to keep guns away from stupid people. That's MY biggest fear. :(
One "legal" Gun store and the whole country is filled with loonies running around with guns that violate the NFA of 1934. In the Sandy Hook Massacre, which dialed the gun control movement to 11, Adam Lanza got his guns from his mother, a school teacher. So lets say this happened in California, guns would be under the Mother's name and how would you legislate how to stop underage anti social fucks from using them without some Minority Report precognition or super strong violations of the Bill of Rights.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One "legal" Gun store and the whole country is filled with loonies running around with guns that violate the NFA of 1934. In the Sandy Hook Massacre, which dialed the gun control movement to 11, Adam Lanza got his guns from his mother, a school teacher. So lets say this happened in California, guns would be under the Mother's name and how would you legislate how to stop underage anti social fucks from using them without some Minority Report precognition or super strong violations of the Bill of Rights.

California law requires firearms be locked up (either in a locked container or with a trigger/action lock) if kept in a house where children may be present. It's not like there's any kind of inspection regiment to verify, but it's a charge that could be levied against a parent/adult if a kid does something unlawful with a gun.

MrJokerRager

kiwifarms.net
California law requires firearms be locked up (either in a locked container or with a trigger/action lock) if kept in a house where children may be present. It's not like there's any kind of inspection regiment to verify, but it's a charge that could be levied against a parent/adult if a kid does something unlawful with a gun.
True, however he killed his mother which makes that charge moot.

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net

I didn't say that we should necessarily go out and make one. Just that I wish you could keep guns away from dumbasses.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
It might be a bit of a dirty tactic, but my argument against gun control is that not only would it won't keep criminals from owning guns, but that reducing the ability to buy guns would hurt the weapon manufacturing companies, which will in turn lead to mass lay offs. Said lay offs will cause violence in families, suicides and substance abuse.

• Thunk-Provoking
Tags
None