Guy gets banned from PSN for "hate speech", loses access to all of his digital games - In other words, always go physical.

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

boulderblundermatt90

Master of Quaker Oats, Devourer of Chocolate Cakes
kiwifarms.net
Incorrect. He paid for a licence. Courts have ruled that you are buying the licence to play the game even if you buy it in stores which is bullshit but thats the state of the law today.

@AnOminous @RodgerDodger Where things might get hairy for Sony is that theres a law that starts with a C i forget but i think its a last name. This law states that you cant offer incentives to buy a license or something. I know that it was used against Microsoft when they sued someone for ebaying a bunch of copies of Windows discs. They first challenged them that the software wasnt licenced but when the court ruled that it was then they sued them for offering incentives. Microsoft settled with them after that.
except that's different. copies of windows sounds a lot like burned the OS onto a CD and tried to sell that, aka pirating which is a very different beast than just buying a, say, game of persona 5 and then getting locked out of it because Atlas didn't like a tweet you made.

plus OSs aren't licensed but do have copyright protections. Look up the case again, whatever it was, because it sounds like your leaving out a lot of important details.

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
On the one hand, "hate speech" is turning into a catch-all for net communities to create echo chambers. Post a government report showing a correlation between crime and race? Supsended for hate speech! And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's pro-ISIS shit on PSN, but nothing is done about it because all these communities have massive double standards.

On the other hand, SWATting is a thing, and some asshole posting "gas the blacks" under his real name wouldn't think twice about getting some hoodrat straight up murdured by cops for beating him in Call of Duty. Locking this guy out of his games might have prevented a SWATting attempt.

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Steam has yet to do anything remotely like this. Even VAC bans only apply to the game in question, not entire game libraries. People troll the forums all the time calling people all kinds of shit and usually just get banned temporarily no matter what they do or how often.
Valve has banned a guy's steam account completely and logged him off remotely for asking if anyone wants to buy his account.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Forum Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You really shouldn't buy games for anyone with a history of taking away licenses for code of conduct violations. This include Blizzard (Overwatch), Ubisoft (Rainbow Six Siege) and now all PSN-related products.

boulderblundermatt90

Master of Quaker Oats, Devourer of Chocolate Cakes
kiwifarms.net
Reselling used software licenses is not a copyright violation. At least in the EU you have every right to do so.
that sounds nothing like what was described. what you describe is legal in America (kind of, its a bit weird) but not what was described, which sounded a lot like burned CDs.

again, there are a lot of details missing so its really hard to say.

Terminus Est

Absolutely Extraterrestrial
kiwifarms.net

chicken wings

Certified Instagram Dietician
kiwifarms.net
2: This creates an interesting dilemma. Who has never shittalked in an online game? Can you imagine you lose your temper, call a guy a faggot for whatever reasons you may have, and boom. You're gone. No game for you. Would consumers stand for this? Would this inspire a revolution and more people become PC gamers and are free to say Nigger Faggot whenever they want to?

Sony taking notes from the woke Overwatch team?

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Lemme just crosspost from the Sony censorship thread:

As big of an asperger as Billy is, I actually side with him here. It is extremely disturbing that consoles, the platform that is supposed to be offline compatible can now revoke your fucking library for being “naughty”
It doesn’t specify if it’ll let you use them offline with an “activated” console, but I’m just gonna assume that the moment you get banned, there’s a file stating so saved to the HDD the next time you sign into PSN on the console and it’ll just stay that way until you get unbanned and reconnect your unbanned console to the net. So basically if you get an email saying you got banned from Sony and your console is “activated”, do not sign into your PSN account on it for the entire duration of your ban.Maybe also just keep it away from being connected to internet entirely to be safe

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
I don’t plan on getting rid of my PS4, since I still prefer the likes of Uncharted, SOTC remake and Bloodborne to MS’s offerings and I’m too poor to own an Xbone and a PS4 simultaneously, but if Sony doesn’t get their shit together soon, I might just skip them in favor of PC in Gen 9

Last edited by a moderator:

666DEATHGAY

kiwifarms.net
and thats why you keep the shitposting to anonymous sites and burner accounts, not official stuff that is tied to your personal and financial information
it's still from your ip and will be sold to anyone who wants, and microsoft also knows everything you post if you use windows.

EasyPeasy

Proud civic nationalist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck Sony.

My account got hacked last year and the hacker ordered 2 games on my account and it charged to my PayPal. I contacted Playstation and did not get a reply so after 5 days filed a PayPal claim and got refunded. But Sony closed my Playstation account because it breached some fucking rule and I lost all my digital games.