Guy gets banned from PSN for "hate speech", loses access to all of his digital games - In other words, always go physical.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
no. that is usually legal in america. i dunno about other countries, though I hear when it comes to ownership rights, europe is outright fucking savage to companies.
Outright selling a Steam account is a blatant violation of the agreement, and one that is well known.

You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use).

• Winner
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Last Stand

We're back! Did you miss us?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
and their online services are increasingly draconian.
Sony's online infrastructures for PlayStation had always been below average since PlayStation 2. Subpar interface, poorly run internal services, servers shutting down regularly. Only with PS4, they're barely on par with XBL
1: How did Sony know? Is it just the number of reports that triggered them banning the guy or are they listening in?
Good question. As far as I recall, you can't even report somebody directly to Sony other than posts.

I think in this case, Sony made the right call with suspending this guy's account. Calling somebody "faggots" and "niggers" online does not equate to free speech. Plus, it's their service and they have a terms of service for a reason. "Rob" even seems proud of himself with that, good luck disputing that with Sony in court.

While this does raises a good question of whether you do "own" digital content, I don't think "Rob" is helping matters by getting banned for language.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
“Robert” himself seems like a moron, I’m mainly just offput by the fact that Sony can just revoke something I possibly spent hundreds of dollars on on a whim with little to no compensation. And like you guys can probably tell, I’ve been with Sony for ages, I played Crash 2 when I was 6 and I played it again back when NST was a timed PS4 exclusive in 2017. It sucks to see them spitting so much acid at their consumerbase.

huckbeine

Umu waiting for padoru
kiwifarms.net
what happened to the tea-bagging culture and your mom insults? it seems like just before the PS4/xbone generation hit, you were still able to do it

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li
U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
what happened to the tea-bagging culture and your mom insults? it seems like just before the PS4/xbone generation hit, you were still able to do it
You weren’t really even supposed to do that shit back then, we were just lucky because MS, Sony, Infinity Ward, DICE, etc were too inept to spot isolated incidents of us insulting each other on their servers

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
You know, I was thinking about buying an PS4 in the near future, but now I changed my mind. But hey, it's only an matter of time before they figure out how to permanently brick your console.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Gentrification of the online space. We all figured it would be limited to the physical world where Manhattan turned into a giant pastel billboard after decades of hookers and smack. Now it happens in the digital space, where corporations force their hands and the old pioneers either flee or bend the knee.

• Agree
  • Feels
Reactions: BR55 and Syaoran Li

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Multiple things. People started retreating into parties, some publishers decided to start using aggressive word filters, and game journalists started whining about shit like being virtually raped in GTA or called a niggerfaggot on Xbox Live.

Dedicated servers and even playlists have also gone out the window in favor of anti social matchmaking queues that are paired up with Siege style aggressive word filters and Overwatch style overzealous bans. While 10-20 years ago the most you'd find yourself banned from (especially on the PC) might be some Christian servers, now you will find yourself locked out of your $60 game or your console accounts for the same thing. With some games it's also not uncommon to feature yourself paired with random players and little to no communication.

This leads to well, this situation:

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
except that's different. copies of windows sounds a lot like burned the OS onto a CD and tried to sell that, aka pirating which is a very different beast than just buying a, say, game of persona 5 and then getting locked out of it because Atlas didn't like a tweet you made.

plus OSs aren't licensed but do have copyright protections. Look up the case again, whatever it was, because it sounds like your leaving out a lot of important details.
Im actually thinking of a different issue. I forget what case it was but it involved patent licences, tying, and price discrimination. Since there are potentially software patents involved with the video games themselves and even the PSN it could get hairy for them. Can Sony block the use of a licence they dont own that is between the user and a 3rd party? (ie the user and creators of the Division, Ubisoft) Seems like an interesting thing to try. @AnOminous @RodgerDodger

https://www.orrick.com/Insights/2013/02/A-Modern-Look-At-The-9-Patent-Licensing-NoNos

boulderblundermatt90

Master of Quaker Oats, Devourer of Chocolate Cakes
kiwifarms.net
Im actually thinking of a different issue. I forget what case it was but it involved patent licences, tying, and price discrimination. Since there are potentially software patents involved with the video games themselves and even the PSN it could get hairy for them. Can Sony block the use of a licence they dont own that is between the user and a 3rd party? (ie the user and creators of the Division, Ubisoft) Seems like an interesting thing to try. @AnOminous @RodgerDodger

https://www.orrick.com/Insights/2013/02/A-Modern-Look-At-The-9-Patent-Licensing-NoNos
I'm gonna dip from this cause this goes into knowledge I dunno about.
I do know that breaking contracts are risky, but since the contracts between sony and its partners is unknown, its hard to say which way it'd go. other than that? can't say.

Syaoran Li

The Weeaboo Woodwright
kiwifarms.net
Welp, that's it.

I'm officially done with Sony, and I've been a Playstation diehard since I was a little kid playing PS1 in the late 90's.

Guess when the PS5 comes out, I'm going to have to save up extra money and become a PC gamer and maybe also get a Switch now that Nintendo has stopped being the kiddie short bus of gaming and is actually getting quality third party games on their consoles for the first time since the Clinton years.

I fucking hate PC gaming due to the higher prices involved in a gaming PC and the overall pretentious elitism of PC gamers in general, but damn if they might be onto something now that my favorite console company has been commandeered by pretentious West Coast hipster Bolsheviks.

That being said, this Rob fellow is an idiot and can go fuck himself.

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna dip from this cause this goes into knowledge I dunno about.
I do know that breaking contracts are risky, but since the contracts between sony and its partners is unknown, its hard to say which way it'd go. other than that? can't say.
True. The contract could be between just the user and the 3rd party or it could be between the user the 3rd party and Sony.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Welp, that's it.

I'm officially done with Sony, and I've been a Playstation diehard since I was a little kid playing PS1 in the late 90's.

Guess when the PS5 comes out, I'm going to have to save up extra money and become a PC gamer and maybe also get a Switch now that Nintendo has stopped being the kiddie short bus of gaming and is actually getting quality third party games on their consoles for the first time since the Clinton years.

I fucking hate PC gaming due to the higher prices involved in a gaming PC and the overall pretentious elitism of PC gamers in general, but damn if they might be onto something now that my favorite console company has been commandeered by pretentious West Coast hipster Bolsheviks.

That being said, this Rob fellow is an idiot and can go fuck himself.
Agreed. I’ll probably keep my PS4 and continue to get 3rd party games (like Judgement, Shenmue 3, and DMC5) and MAYBE used/“ebay new” copies of the few SIE games that still interest me (Nioh 2, Death Stranding, Spidey, Medievil and nothing else), but when PS5 rolls around, I’m just gonna shift gears over to Ninty and Valve

Last edited by a moderator:

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
The worst part about all this is people who use Sony products have no legal remedy if the silicon valley inquisition decides to purge you. Because lol, you sign an arbitration agreement the moment you turn your fucking PS4 on and connect to the network. It's how Google managed to slither away from James Damore.

People need to realize that corporations have figured out how to use contract law to escape liability for their shenanigans. We need a constitutional amendment that allows for petition to the judiciary as a right.

Looney Troons

Certified Ethical Troon-Hater
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ten years ago, you called people niggerfaggots to get playful rises out of them. People thought it was funny or they ignored it. The person you would call a niggerfaggot would spend the entire game trying to hunt you down and kill you so they could call you something worse in the lobby once the game ended. That was the ebb and flow of gaming in the last generation; say some stupid shit, piss a few people off, and then it was forgotten.

Gaming fucking sucks

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino