Half Life Alyx and Boneworks - The two VR games that dare to be different. Okay maybe just one, but still. AKA Floop’s shill thread.

Is VR the big gay?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Had to take a little break. I've just now started facing actual threats but I've spent over an hour just in the introductory level alone. Even tiny details are given an insane amount of care. Index's pressure-sensitive controllers mean you can crush cans. Pick up a matchbox, jostle it, hear the sticks rattling around, etc.

Controls are, as expected, janky. There's no jumping. To cross a gap, you "shift" across. When you're done "climbing" a ladder, you let go of all controls and it pops you up to the top. If you're a person who keeps their thumbs on the touchpad of Index controllers, you're going to have an issue accidentally swapping between weapons.

Opinion may change near the end, but it's pretty fun right now.

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
Had to take a little break. I've just now started facing actual threats but I've spent over an hour just in the introductory level alone. Even tiny details are given an insane amount of care. Index's pressure-sensitive controllers mean you can crush cans. Pick up a matchbox, jostle it, hear the sticks rattling around, etc.

Controls are, as expected, janky. There's no jumping. To cross a gap, you "shift" across. When you're done "climbing" a ladder, you let go of all controls and it pops you up to the top. If you're a person who keeps their thumbs on the touchpad of Index controllers, you're going to have an issue accidentally swapping between weapons.

Opinion may change near the end, but it's pretty fun right now.
God damn I want to play NOW

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
I don't know whether I want it to be amazing or for it to be shit or for it to start off amazing and then instantly turn to shit as a dark horse guillotine falls upon the public and the soul crushing agony of somehow getting fucked harder than the Duke Nukem fanbase is fully realized.

Reactions: AnOminous

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Hour 2. Character scenes seem kinda short, but maybe that's just me. Most of the time spent ogling the models than listening to what they have to say. Control scheme isn't so bad once you get used to it and it's not as much of a deal-breaker as people made it seem to be pre-release. Hardly notice it except when I'm panicking and trying to change or reload weapons.

Fuck headcrabs. Shotgun ammo is incredibly limited but I will blast those fuckers in half before I waste an entire mag of pistol ammo on 'em.
There are new breeds of crabs with an armored carapace. Their undersides are their weak points, meaning you have to intentionally let these fuckers lunge at you to kill them

I don't know whether I want it to be amazing or for it to be shit or for it to start off amazing and then instantly turn to shit as a dark horse guillotine falls upon the public and the soul crushing agony of somehow getting fucked harder than the Duke Nukem fanbase is fully realized.
The groundworks are amazing, and I think that's what matters most. Even if the end turns out to be shit, it's Source 2. That alone is a mapper/modder's heaven. Hoping for a speedy SDK release.

• Informative
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Coolio55

kiwifarms.net
The groundworks are amazing, and I think that's what matters most. Even if the end turns out to be shit, it's Source 2. That alone is a mapper/modder's heaven. Hoping for a speedy SDK release.
I hope it's good but what can Source 2 do that any other modern engine you can get access to waay easier can't?
I know that source and goldsrc are still very popular for modding but that's mostly for old-times's sake.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope it's good but what can Source 2 do that any other modern engine you can get access to waay easier can't?
I know that source and goldsrc are still very popular for modding but that's mostly for old-times's sake.
Modding is the life blood of so many games. Today, it's done away with in favor of DLc bullshit. You village idiot.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
The game is seriously good. Unsurprisingly, Valve's made perfect use of the Index controllers, most of the hand motions are completely intuitive and work great. Some of the navigation stuff like climbing and jumping are more finicky, but the game thus far isn't really requiring extreme precision for movement, so it's not posing a problem.

Coolio55

kiwifarms.net
Modding is the life blood of so many games. Today, it's done away with in favor of DLc bullshit. You village idiot.
Yeah. Modding is awesome ...but what I'm trying to get at is:
Don't expect it to be like the old days with amazing total conversions up the arse. People who want to make their own game are generally doing it on engines that have much more explicit licencing terms.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Guardian G.I.

СНГ scum
kiwifarms.net
Fuck headcrabs. Shotgun ammo is incredibly limited but I will blast those fuckers in half before I waste an entire mag of pistol ammo on 'em.
Do they instakill you if they reach your head like facehuggers from Alien vs. Predator games, or do they simply damage you like their HL1/2 counterparts?

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
I got tagged by one, you have to yank it off and it does damage, but it doesn't instakill. Dunno how long you have to pull it off, I expect it does continuous damage as long as it's on your head.

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
So, I haven't come across this YET, but what happens if you're completely out of ammo? Just fucked until you find more or what? Some Pistol upgrades are seriously draining

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
I like the ending a lot. No spoilers, but I kind of agree with Tyler that the ending was stellar; not worth a 12 year wait though.

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net
So, I haven't come across this YET, but what happens if you're completely out of ammo? Just fucked until you find more or what? Some Pistol upgrades are seriously draining
Yeah you're just out, hunt for more or load a save. That being said, shit's everywhere if you're looking for it and doesn't go that fast if you're making proper use of your surroundings.

Even on hard difficulty the game seems a little too forgiving for my tastes, but maybe my boneworks all ammo run had more of an effect on me than I thought.

Last edited:

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Yeah you're just out, hunt for more or load a save. That being said, shit's everywhere if you're looking for it and doesn't go that fast if you're making proper use of your surroundings.

Even on hard difficulty the game seems a little too forgiving for my tastes, but maybe my boneworks all ammo run had more of an effect on me than I thought.
It being VR makes me want to explore a lot more than usual. I could see someone who's more "run-and-gun" tend to be in more trouble.

Had my first crash (Twin bedroom at the hotel), decided to take another break at that.

Coolio55

kiwifarms.net
JESUS CHRIST. Bit the bullet and saw the ending.
It's AWFUL.
Once again it's a massive contradictive retcon even more blatant than Half Life 2's! Retconning a plot death is especially aggregious.

It looks amazing. There's no doubting that ...but I have long since grown numb to that trick. To those who've played it: Is it's gameplay better or worse than Boneworks?

Last edited:

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net
JESUS CHRIST. Bit the bullet and saw the ending.
It's AWFUL.
Once again it's a massive contradictive retcon even more blatant than Half Life 2's! Retconning a plot death is especially aggregious.

It looks amazing. There's no doubting that ...but I have long since grown numb to that trick. To those who've played it: Is it's gameplay better or worse than Boneworks?
Just from the few hours I've played today, gameplay seems a lot less in depth but a lot more polished. It may seem like a step back, not having a body or dedicated jump and crouch controls or whatever else but on the other hand you're not bugging out and glitching your wrists off some bit of physics and falling through the world.

Story, characters and visuals have been carrying it so far. I know you said you're numb to that trick but god damn dude, shit looks tasty. When that vortigaunt hands you a headcrab and tells you to eat it, you feel like you really could.

Reactions: Coolio55

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Just from the few hours I've played today, gameplay seems a lot less in depth but a lot more polished. It may seem like a step back, not having a body or dedicated jump and crouch controls or whatever else but on the other hand you're not bugging out and glitching your wrists off some bit of physics and falling through the world.

Story, characters and visuals have been carrying it so far. I know you said you're numb to that trick but god damn dude, shit looks tasty. When that vortigaunt hands you a headcrab and tells you to eat it, you feel like you really could.
You're trusting a vort with severe brain damage to give you food. I don't think that's a good idea

Tags
None