Half Life Alyx and Boneworks - The two VR games that dare to be different. Okay maybe just one, but still. AKA Floop’s shill thread.

Is VR the big gay?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just watched the full gameplay and uh

I really don't throw this word around casually

But I think if there's hope for future Half Life games

This puts a mighty huge obligation on the table to do so.

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
2nd playthrough started. Didn't even pay attention to the fact that Combine consoles are ran by mutated xen-brain-things on the inside on my first. Already finding more new stuff to gawk at.

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net
2nd playthrough started. Didn't even pay attention to the fact that Combine consoles are ran by mutated xen-brain-things on the inside on my first. Already finding more new stuff to gawk at.
There's rats and squirrels and shit caught in some of the computer brain things, shit's fucked up.

Edit: Alright just beat it, ending was... about as in-line with the series and characters as it was going to be after such a long wait and so many staff changes? Didn't bother me, thought it was kinda neat

G-man has been a weird fucker since OpFor if not earlier, switching between helper fairy and extradimensional dickhead on his (or his employers') whim, and in this situation saving Eli seems more like the latter than the former. I mean yeah he saved Eli, then immediately banished the poor bastard's daughter to the shadow realm to be brought back out god knows when. The post-credits scene is pretty clearly setting him up as villain for next game so it just sorta seems a little silly to get mad about? Maybe I only think that because I thought Eli's death at the end of E2 was kinda lame to begin with idk.

Last edited:

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
All this begs the question.. A very trustworthy source said HL3 was never gonna happen, ever, like 3-4 years ago. Did they know of Alyx? Is Alyx a relatively new undertaking? Was EP3 not put on the table til recently? Gaben basically aknowledges that Artifact was a shitshow and a bad game and moved on. They probably still have the capabilities to make great games. Question is if Half Life is really that good a universe anymore. It's from that era when genre-defining games were made, but hell, Doom is still around, and Doom invented its cliche game genre.

In this day and age and how the media treats universes, it's just tough to really get all that excited for Half Life anymore. If they rev up the engines and create games and series and comics and whatever, Gabe will be in his grave by the time we're exploring the world from a character not already in the games. They only just started doing that in Star Wars, and that IP always had projects in the work. Unless they really just dump their ungodly amount of money into HL, this still seems like a Dark Souls kind of genre. 2-3 strong contenders everybody loves and nothing after that.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God damn... even watching LP's of this game makes me physically sick.

Gameplay looks good. Hopefully the story isn't aids as you people seem to be suggesting.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
God damn... even watching LP's of this game makes me physically sick.

Gameplay looks good. Hopefully the story isn't aids as you people seem to be suggesting.
because vr footage is usually unsteady when you just watch someone looking around. it's completely different when you're the one doing it with a headset. probably one of the reasons certain people go with "lele it's just a monitor strapped to your face".

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I understand there is a playable piano in this game that is becoming quite the meme. Curious to see if the various VR controllers are sophisticated enough for people to produce high quality music on it.

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
Could I run this with a GTX980 and an i7-7700k? Not trying to upgrade for another year or so if I don’t have to, but I’m really fiending for a VR headset and this game.

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net
I understand there is a playable piano in this game that is becoming quite the meme. Curious to see if the various VR controllers are sophisticated enough for people to produce high quality music on it.
The Index controllers would seem like the best fit with their finger tracking, but they can't detect distance between fingers (only distance from the sensors in the grip, no gang signs or vulcan salutes here) so it's not great for piano. I'm sure that won't stop some people though.
Could I run this with a GTX980 and an i7-7700k? Not trying to upgrade for another year or so if I don’t have to, but I’m really fiending for a VR headset and this game.
That setup is more than good enough, you'll be fine.

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
That setup is more than good enough, you'll be fine.
Thanks, king.

I’ve been watching a lot of gameplay since I’ve been home all day and I’m wondering how easy it would be to implement some sort of rudimentary melee system. It’s a Half-Life game without any sort of *thwap* attack, so I feel like it’d be a good idea to include something like that.

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net
Just finished play it. It was fantastic, didn't get bored or tired of it either unlike Boneworks. It was comfortable to play while still providing some fun physics to mess around with and enjoyable combat.

I'm hyped for the next game, whenever that comes out. and I am okay if it's VR only as I enjoyed Alyx so damn much.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I read in an interview that they did play-test a physics-based melee combat system, but it was ultimately discarded from the release build because it was too janky and prone to bugging out and they wanted to make the gameplay in this debut VR title appear as smooth and polished as possible. I guess it must be a technical problem that hasn't been solved yet. I understand in other games with physics-based melee, there's a lot of jank involving melee weapons or objects getting stuck or trapped on edges or surfaces.

Rakdos92

kiwifarms.net
I read in an interview that they did play-test a physics-based melee combat system, but it was ultimately discarded from the release build because it was too janky and prone to bugging out and they wanted to make the gameplay in this debut VR title appear as smooth and polished as possible. I guess it must be a technical problem that hasn't been solved yet. I understand in other games with physics-based melee, there's a lot of jank involving melee weapons or objects getting stuck or trapped on edges or surfaces.
Guess HL3 is delayed until they manage to fix the melee portion of the game. I mean, could you imagine playing Gordon Freeman without a crowbar?

• Feels
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Having played Alyx, it doesn't even really feel like melee would be an improvement. You're put in a lot of situations where it'd just completely trivialize encounters.

GaddafyTheLooneyDuck

How to know if cheese is Swiss? Neutral taste
kiwifarms.net
Having played Alyx, it doesn't even really feel like melee would be an improvement. You're put in a lot of situations where it'd just completely trivialize encounters.
Why wouldn't it? The usage of appropriate props as weapons against enemies would have worked well there.

Tags
None