Halo MCC/Infinite/general discussion thread - PRAISE CRAIG

What did you think of Infinite after the campaign showcase?

• It looked good

• Good, but they need to iron out some issues

• Majorly apprehensive

• It sucked donkey dick

• I need to see more

• I don't know

• Craig monke

Results are only viewable after voting.

Titos

Your smile makes my heart explode :3
kiwifarms.net
New update is out about the audio design of Infinite. No new screenshots but there's some new concept art, atmospheric sounds, and a new weapon confirmation.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-march-2021
Skewer.jpg
Foreruner.png
There's also audio files in the post on waypoint and one of the basically all but confirms The Flood

Last edited:

NumberingYourState

Our fate lies in the moons tilt and shine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Brutes truly earn their title as such, they're frighteningly close to what the Byzantinians were, absolute savage killers.

Also nice to see the cold, monolithic look again. We never quite touched OG CE aesthetic levels with forerunners in Halo 2 and beyond.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
The Brutes truly earn their title as such, they're frighteningly close to what the Byzantinians were, absolute savage killers.

Also nice to see the cold, monolithic look again. We never quite touched OG CE aesthetic levels with forerunners in Halo 2 and beyond.
The Brutes remind me more of Germanic/Viking types. As in, German barbarians and Vikings, especially with their Chieftains essentially being Thor Juniors with those gravity hammers of theirs. Brute troops replacing Elites during the mainline Halo trilogy reminded me of Roman Legions being replaced by Germanic mercenaries during the last few centuries of Roman rule in the West.

Titos

Your smile makes my heart explode :3
kiwifarms.net
Here's what the Skewer (the new Brute weapon) sounds like. I've got a good feeling about this weapon.
I think since it's ostensibly an anti-vehicle weapon it would be pretty cool if it worked kinda like the Plasma Pistol EMP but instead you shoot out one skewer which attaches to the vehicle, then another one to the ground, wall, etc to make it so the vehicle is stuck in a small area until they can find the anchor and destroy it. That way it's not as limiting as getting EMPd but still has some tactical depth.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
I think since it's ostensibly an anti-vehicle weapon it would be pretty cool if it worked kinda like the Plasma Pistol EMP but instead you shoot out one skewer which attaches to the vehicle, then another one to the ground, wall, etc to make it so the vehicle is stuck in a small area until they can find the anchor and destroy it. That way it's not as limiting as getting EMPd but still has some tactical depth.
Sounds neat, hopefully we'll see some gameplay of it soon to get a better idea of what it's like.

The Doom Slayer

Tempered by the fires of Hell
kiwifarms.net
Sounds neat, hopefully we'll see some gameplay of it soon to get a better idea of what it's like.
Based on what I've seen we're not seeing any gameplay until Microsoft's E3 replacement show... which will be around June.

Unless something leaks before then, of course. Which with the way things have been going is entirely possible.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
Amidst all the hate for 343 Industries, it's kind of weird looking back at it after playing Halo 4 and actually enjoying the game. It really showed that, at one point in 343 Industries' short but tumultuous history, that it was actually capable of making a good, enjoyable game. And they had the potential to grow. But alas, the woke bug bit them, and just like Bioware, it destroyed what potential they had.

What really infuriates me about 343 Industries is that they were a company with so much potential, which owed to their first Halo game, Halo 4. I knew this when Halo 4 turned out to be the Halo Reach 2 that everyone wanted but no one asked for, minus the robust Firefight mode, of course. But the game was still solid as ever, with a great story that was a nice selling point, a decent villain, and fun gameplay with the old Covenant foes still being their usual selves and the new Promethean enemies being an OK substitute for the Flood. While the Flood gives you this arcade feel of old-school shooters pitting you against literal hordes, (the best version of the Flood to me was still Halo 1) Promethean Knights felt more like fantasy boss units due to their heavy shielding, weapons, and teleportation abilities, showing off the kind of technological bad guy that would usually outclass a Spartan.

Spartan Ops had its story quality veer from OK to WTF now and then, but it was still a fun game mode to play in my experience. By the end of Halo 4, 343 Industries had a strong basis to build future Halo games, with the Didact, Jul 'Mdama, and Catherine Halsey on the same team (the Reborn Covenant) being a sort of replacement for the old trio of villains, the Prophet of Truth, the Gravemind, and 343 Guilty Spark. One villain was the best and worst of the Forerunners rolled into one character who has the military technology of the Forerunners at their peak, the second villain is a cunning, strategic-minded leftover from the Old Covenant that refuses to die, and the third villain knows all of the Spartans' and ONI's secrets AND has a motive to screw over the Earth government that used her as a scapegoat for its war crimes.

Then they squandered all the potential by having the Janus Key and the Didact be resolved in the comics, and by having the Prometheans turn against the Didact's right-hand man. Then Halsey just turns out to be on the good team all along, which also wasted the story setup from Spartan Ops. That would be forgivable, if the story they set up was OK, but it wasn't. A failed attempt at getting woke, demonizing a character who went out like a martyr in Halo 4, not to mention the Hunt the Truth podcasts which amounted to a hill of beans. Halo 5's story single-handedly wrecked 343 Industries as a studio. There were already shades of it in the comics, but that story crushed any future potential the Halo franchise had. Which is why you have people wanting Halo 3 or Halo 4 be the final game in the franchise while ignoring everything else that takes place afterwards.

The best thing we can hope for in Halo Infinite or any future Halo story is that Cortana is actually the good guy, and that she's unifying the galaxy because what's left of the Banished and the Spirit of Fire crew came to her and told her about the Flood taking over the Ark and staging strikes all across the galaxy, and Cortana shared this with Blue Team while they were in the Cryptum, so Blue Team takes over the Infinity in Cortana's name while the Arbiter starts attacking any faction that defies her. Blue Team forces ONI and the human government to work with Cortana at gunpoint to ensure that the Flood threat is contained.

Gravemind

A monument to all your sins
kiwifarms.net

The main menu in Halo 3 is an actual, accessible map. Wow. That's groundbreaking. I thought it was just a video.

One other game I recall doing the same thing is Saints Row 1.
Generalkidd's videos and exposition style are incredibly grating for me after having watched a fair bit of his content over the last couple of years (I happen to find him way too prone to rambling and stilted thoughts for someone who's trying to create something that's informative), but he does cover interesting topics at least.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Season 6 is live. Waypoint blog post here, patch notes here. Quick rundown if you're not able to play yet:
  • The Exchange is now live. Items seem to rotate in and out weekly, and you can see what's available next week and how much it will cost. This week's items include the Black Rhine assault rifle and Mongoose skins for Halo 3 (3 points each) and the Golden shotgun skin for Halo CE (unknown points, I already have it). Next week will have Black Rhine shotgun and Hornet skins (3 points each) and Bug-Splattered Buck for ODST (unknown, I already have it). The Rhine armor bundle for Halo 3 is available all season for 20 points.
  • Halo 3 is once again the focus for customization rewards, including six Halo Online sets (COS, Hammerhead, Infiltrator, Lancer, Nomdagro, and Rhine), four Fireteam Raven sets (ODST\TAC, ODST\HVY, ODST\COMM, and ODST\DEMO), fifteen animated visors, three new techsuits, and six new back accessories (the four ODST backpacks, the Pulaski fire axe, and the Sword and Board shield). The Katana is now its own separate accessory and can be combined with any chestpiece. There are also twelve vehicle skins, including Hornet skins for the first time, and seven weapon skins.
  • Season 6 is another 100-tier season, so you'll need to grind a lot of points to get through it all. On the plus side, aside from new seasonal challenges rewarding several points apiece, the number of weekly challenges that grant points have been raised to six PVP and six PVE, so you can now earn twelve points a week.
  • Waterfall is available for custom games only. 343 said they want to get more data from players to make sure there aren't any other performance issues or bugs before they put it in the matchmaking playlists.
  • New gametype, Escalation Slayer, is basically like Call of Duty's Counter-Strike's Gun Game. Start with low-tier weapons and get a better gun with every kill, winning when you get a kill with the final weapon. Knock other players back a tier through assassination or plasma stick. Available in Reach, H2A, and Halo 4, and it will rotate as a featured social playlist (but not this week, it's Grifball instead).
  • Seasonal challenges:
    • Package Deal: Complete the Non-Prophet Organization and Story Scorey challenges. Rewards the Another Sunrise animated visor.
      • Non-Prophet Organization: Get 7000 points by defeating Covenant enemies. Earn additional progress for more powerful enemies.
      • Story Scorey: Get 50 points by completing campaign missions. Earn additional progress for completions with a higher final total multiplier.
    • Double Up: Complete the Spree Real Estate and Nerdy Thirty challenges. Rewards the GEN2 Azure techsuit.
      • Spree Real Estate: Earn 200 multikill and spree medals in matchmade PVP games.
      • Nerdy Thirty: Complete 30 weekly challenges.
    • Best at Both: Complete the Point Guard and Ranked Beats Everything challenges. Rewards the Sword and Board back accessory.
      • Point Guard: Earn 1500 points in matchmade PVP games. Assists give 1 point, kills give 2 points, and headshot kills give 3 points.
      • Ranked Beats Everything: Win 25 competitive matchmade games.
    • Never Chase: Complete a custom game earning at least three kills on Waterfall.
    • Got Your Backdraft: Complete 20 matchmade Firefight games.
    • 50 On This Account: Complete 50 matchmade multiplayer games.
  • Tips for challenges:
    • Don't know yet how much different enemies count for Non-Prophet Organization, but any vehicle-heavy level should do nicely. Alternatively, you can play an unlimited Firefight game (invincible, bottomless clip, maxed weapon damage) and grind it out like that.
    • For Story Scorey, there's an easy method: play Lone Wolf, get at least one kill, and survive for at least a minute. This counts as a mission completion for challenges.
    • With Grifball active this week, it's an excellent time to grind out Spree Real Estate. Multikills and sprees aplenty.
    • Since there are a maximum of 26 weekly challenges available per week, you'll have to wait until next week at the earliest to finish Nerdy Thirty.
    • Focus on competitive games for Ranked Beats Everything, and finish up any remaining PVP games after that in social games for 50 On This Account. I've found Halo 4 Squad Battle to be the easiest playlist to get wins in, but play whichever one you're most comfortable with.
    • Point Guard is probably easiest to finish in SWAT, since you should get plenty of headshot kills there.
    • Got Your Backdraft doesn't require full-set Firefight games, so play the Reach Firefight Doubles playlist to finish it faster.
    • Finally, get a buddy (or a second controller if you're on Xbox) and play a quick custom game on Waterfall for Never Chase. Don't forget to kill each other three times before ending the game.

Last edited:

Endu

Dark Falz can go fuck itself
kiwifarms.net
Luckily, I don't care for skins in MCC, so I don't have to put too much thought into the Exchange. Though I will be starting the grind to do as many challenges as I can to try and get everything unlocked in the season.