Halo MCC/Infinite/general discussion thread - PRAISE CRAIG

What did you think of Infinite after the campaign showcase?

• It looked good

• Good, but they need to iron out some issues

• Majorly apprehensive

• It sucked donkey dick

• I need to see more

• I don't know

• Craig monke

Results are only viewable after voting.

NumberingYourState

Our fate lies in the moons tilt and shine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
unlocking items is either lagging or freezing the game for me, is this a server thing or another bug?

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
>Escalation Slayer, is basically like Call of Duty's Gun Game.
>Call of Duty's Gun Game

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sorry, I just went with the first game with the mode that came to mind. I wasn't playing CS back in the day. Updated accordingly.

ETA: So if the Exchange prices are consistent throughout the season, here's how much you may or may not need to grind. Note that this is only for new content since I can't see the prices of content I've already unlocked.
There are four Black Rhine weapon skins (BR, AR, sniper, and shotgun) and four vehicle skins (Warthog, Mongoose, Scorpion, and Hornet) that aren't part of the season pass, which is basically the debut set for the Exchange this season. There's an ONI Warthog skin that isn't part of the pass either, but I don't know if that's part of the Exchange or not; for now, I'll assume it isn't. Prices are 3 season points per skin, weapon or vehicle. If you want all eight, you'll need 24 points, or two weeks' worth of challenges. Assuming one of each skin is offered each week, you should be able to unlock them all in four weeks.

The Rhine armor bundle costs 20 season points, and can be purchased at any point before the season ends. Again, two weeks of challenges will get you there. No indication whether the components will go into the rotation afterwards, but considering they said they're trying to avoid FOMO, I wouldn't be surprised if it does, though possibly being more expensive later on.

Then there's the pass itself, which is another 100 points to grind. No real difference from previous seasons.

In total, if you want everything new this season, you'll need 144 points in total (possibly a few more if that ONI Warthog skin is in there too). Is it doable if you don't have any points to spend going in? The answer is, it depends on how long the season goes for.

Seasonal challenges give 30 points in total, and weekly challenges give 12 points per week across PVE and PVP. They've said the season will last roughly two months, so if we assume eight weeks, that's 96 points from weeklies, or 126 points in total. The season would need to last ten weeks in order to be able to have enough points for everything in the Exchange and the pass, assuming you're starting from scratch. And of course, this isn't including other items from previous seasons you might want to pick up week to week.

My advice for completionists is to put your points towards Exchange items first, especially if it's a past item you missed out on. The pass will always be there to dump points into later. If you don't care about owning everything, then put points towards whatever looks good to you, like those lovely new ODST armors. And if you have a massive surplus of points, you're probably safe to dump them all and buy everything now. Week-to-week, it shouldn't be hard to earn enough points for the Exchange skins.
tl;dr: 144 points to unlock all the new stuff, minimum of 126 points available this season (assuming an eight-week season). Not much FOMO around the Exchange that I can tell aside from the Rhine bundle, but as items are added in future seasons, that could change.

Last edited:

Titos

Your smile makes my heart explode :3
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone here actually try these? I'm tempted, I don't ever go near a walmart normally but I'll have to be near one tomorrow for work. They any good?
Moa.jpg

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
I've finally gotten around to beating Halo 1 after starting it last year (got really distracted with other things). Overall I really liked the combat loop. For a game made in 2001, many of the arenas had an incredible dynamism to them; I've had things happen during fights that would only occur once or I would approach a fight from a different angle on the battlefield which would drastically change my strategy.

That said, the second half of the game was significantly weaker than the first, mainly because of the Flood. Their introduction was cool, but then the game spams the everloving shit out of them. I got so goddamn sick of them, mainly because they aren't as interesting to fight as the Covenant; you had to think in order to fight enemies like the Jackals or the Hunters. Meanwhile a couple shotgun blasts will take care of 99% of Flood encounters. And the Library was one of the most wretched and repetitive levels I've ever played in a video game (though I wager that's a common opinion among Halo fans).

I've already started Halo 2 and I'm immediately finding it a much improved experience. Jumping feels far more useful, the new shields dramatically improve the pacing of firefights, and the dual-wielding is badass. I've heard the campaign suffered due to the game's difficult development, but I am still interested to see how it plays out. If nothing else, it does seem like a much more ambitious story with actual depth given to the Covenant.

Beelzebub's Gate

an hero
kiwifarms.net
I've finally gotten around to beating Halo 1 after starting it last year (got really distracted with other things). Overall I really liked the combat loop. For a game made in 2001, many of the arenas had an incredible dynamism to them; I've had things happen during fights that would only occur once or I would approach a fight from a different angle on the battlefield which would drastically change my strategy.

That said, the second half of the game was significantly weaker than the first, mainly because of the Flood. Their introduction was cool, but then the game spams the everloving shit out of them. I got so goddamn sick of them, mainly because they aren't as interesting to fight as the Covenant; you had to think in order to fight enemies like the Jackals or the Hunters. Meanwhile a couple shotgun blasts will take care of 99% of Flood encounters. And the Library was one of the most wretched and repetitive levels I've ever played in a video game (though I wager that's a common opinion among Halo fans).

I've already started Halo 2 and I'm immediately finding it a much improved experience. Jumping feels far more useful, the new shields dramatically improve the pacing of firefights, and the dual-wielding is badass. I've heard the campaign suffered due to the game's difficult development, but I am still interested to see how it plays out. If nothing else, it does seem like a much more ambitious story with actual depth given to the Covenant.
Reading this makes me wish I could play Halo 2 for the first time again. (:_(

Swiss46

You dare refuse my batchall?!?
kiwifarms.net
Halo infinite has to be the weirdest development cycle for me ever. 343 has already shot my childhood two or three times so its not like I dread the game being terrible, but the news is such a mixed bag. Missions like the silent cartographer not open world hubs sounds fucking cool. Then you get no duel weilding, no playable elites, and those stupid fucking shaders. But then cool music and a screenshot that doesn't look like a late 360 Era game.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
Halo infinite has to be the weirdest development cycle for me ever. 343 has already shot my childhood two or three times so its not like I dread the game being terrible, but the news is such a mixed bag. Missions like the silent cartographer not open world hubs sounds fucking cool. Then you get no duel weilding, no playable elites, and those stupid fucking shaders. But then cool music and a screenshot that doesn't look like a late 360 Era game.
Well, on the bright side, with the multiplayer component being F2P, you'll be able to try before you buy. Doesn't do much for people who enjoy the campaign content more, but I figure you should be able to tell if the gameplay is something you actually feel like spending money on after a few matches.

I do agree that it's been weird following the development of Infinite. Barely any info aside from a couple trailers, then the campaign reveal last summer that looked half-done (though it did give us Craig, so there's that), bizarre for a game that was supposedly launching a few months later. Then there was the sudden decision to postpone release for a full year, missing the Series X launch window and removing its killer app. But what they've been showing is certainly looking and sounding better, though I really wish they'd show some actual footage of the game in motion already, which would do a lot to assuage concerns about where it's at now.

Endu

Dark Falz can go fuck itself
kiwifarms.net
But what they've been showing is certainly looking and sounding better, though I really wish they'd show some actual footage of the game in motion already, which would do a lot to assuage concerns about where it's at now.
While I agree that companies shouldn't show absolutely everything before a game's launch, this is one of the bigger concerns for me. As much as I like to hear the devs talking about the sandbox or the audio, people don't buy games off of that alone.

I do feel that they should show something, at least. Even just a 4v4 slayer match, something to give the players an idea of what to expect. Doing that would defintely alleviate the concerns that the demo caused. Hell, think about how much was shown during Reach's development.

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anybody have the problem swapping controls between Halo games?

I cannot play MCC, then play Halo 5. The muscle memory with the different control schemes per game messes me up.

Throwing grenades and melee are either the bumpers or the analog stick. Sprinting is universally applied to the left analog stick.

Titos

kiwifarms.net
I'm just wondering when they'll release a beta for the game, ~6 months before release is cutting it close.
They probably won't do a "normal" beta like 5 or 3 had and instead will do flighting like MCC. I only wonder if they'll do single player flights and if so how that'll work since that sounds like it'd be datamined immediately for spoilers.

The Doom Slayer

Tempered by the fires of Hell
kiwifarms.net
I really don't expect to see anything significant at all until E3 on June 12th, since MS confirmed they're gonna be there. That's when I predict they'll show new (hopefully much improved) campaign footage, multiplayer footage, and a beta/flighting/whatever announcement.

Whatever happens, the next showing for this game needs to impress. MS is riding a wave of good PR right now and the last thing they need is to fall on their face again with another Craig fiasco.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
I do sort of wonder if it's possible to have an open-world multiplayer Halo game spanning an entire ring (or maybe parts of the ring, but with the ability to move freely between them maybe through space)- could be interesting, could get boring.

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They probably won't do a "normal" beta like 5 or 3 had and instead will do flighting like MCC. I only wonder if they'll do single player flights and if so how that'll work since that sounds like it'd be datamined immediately for spoilers.
After MCC, they said each Halo would have a beta after that disaster launch.
I do sort of wonder if it's possible to have an open-world multiplayer Halo game spanning an entire ring (or maybe parts of the ring, but with the ability to move freely between them maybe through space)- could be interesting, could get boring.
Halo Battle Royale?

NumberingYourState

Our fate lies in the moons tilt and shine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Call this a wild deviation from everything, because that's what it is, but a survival game where you play as a hunter-gatherer among the ancient humans placed on the ring by the Librarian (as per conservation measure) could be interesting. To me anyways. We need more games with stories told from the perspectives of different alien races as well.

Big Fat Frog

Blowtorch and Corkscrew
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone here actually try these? I'm tempted, I don't ever go near a walmart normally but I'll have to be near one tomorrow for work. They any good?
View attachment 2077980
Sorry for the late response, just discovered this threat exists. Let’s just say I bought one tube of it, ate it all in a day, and drove back the next day and bought and ate 3 of them within a week. Probably better than barbecue Pringles in my opinion.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
Update for MCC went out today, and with it comes a test of the Custom Game Browser, starting at 10 AM Pacific today and lasting until Monday. Looks like it's the same test initially planned for the season 6 flight, with only Reach being available to test. If you want to contribute, fire up MCC this weekend and play some Reach customs in the browser.

Also the next Inside Infinite should be out today, and unless they changed topics, today's post should be about the PC version of Infinite. I'm not keeping my hopes up for footage, but it'd be nice.

Titos

kiwifarms.net
Update for MCC went out today, and with it comes a test of the Custom Game Browser, starting at 10 AM Pacific today and lasting until Monday. Looks like it's the same test initially planned for the season 6 flight, with only Reach being available to test. If you want to contribute, fire up MCC this weekend and play some Reach customs in the browser.

Also the next Inside Infinite should be out today, and unless they changed topics, today's post should be about the PC version of Infinite. I'm not keeping my hopes up for footage, but it'd be nice.
They'll most certainly not show any footage until E3. Only chance of any new footage before would be a multiplayer reveal event in May. Maybe some screenshots of the PC version showing different settings, FOVs, LODs, etc but even that seems unlikely in my mind as they probably don't have that stuff 100% nailed down yet.