Halo MCC/Infinite/general discussion thread - PRAISE CRAIG

What did you think of Infinite after the campaign showcase?

• It looked good

• Good, but they need to iron out some issues

• Majorly apprehensive

• It sucked donkey dick

• I need to see more

• I don't know

• Craig monke

Results are only viewable after voting.

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
After slaughtering them for 20 years does anyone else feel empathy for The Grunts? They were always the joke enemy of Halo, if it were Mario they'd be the Goombas. For crying out loud they flee in horror once Chief has turned the tide of battle into his favor. I've always felt pity for them, when they scream in horror, "LEADER DEAD RUN AWAY!" or "SOMEONE HELP I'M FIGHTING DEMON!"

Can't they break away from The Covenant? Can't one brave Grunt join the side of the Chief? I'll kill Jackals and Elites all day but I don't want to keep killing Grunts. #GruntLivesMatter
Grunts are poor little bastards, they are part of the soul of Halo. No other FPS really has an enemy unit that is almost entirely just a comic relief. I would love a multiplayer mode where one team is grunts, with one or two player being elites while the other team is humans. Grunts immediately respawn upon death. Basically like invasion but one team is massively underpowered in terms of firepower but has massively superior numbers. One thing that popped up to me is that the graphics in the demo looked extremely "forge like" to me, as in it looked like a forge canvas from 5. My optimistic take is that this means we can forge AI now.

The Last Stand

RIP Olivia de Havilland (1916-2020)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are they going for a simplistic art style with Halo: Infinite? Character models, I'm talking about Chief and the Pilot, look decent. But everything else looks lesser. Like a PC game with graphics turned down to Medium.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Vault Boy

Titos

kiwifarms.net
Are they going for a simplistic art style with Halo: Infinite? Character models, I'm talking about Chief and the Pilot, look decent. But everything else looks lesser. Like a PC game with graphics turned down to Medium.
No, they're just being incompetent as usual. The art style is more in line with Bungie era halo but 343 are so retarded they fucked it up by having shit tier textures and lighting.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
< Complaints than an unreleased, cross-gen, 60 fps, open world, and a fps game doesn't look good.
No excuses, it should look a lot better than this, doesn't have to be the best looking game of all time, but it's shameful that it looks like shit.

Unless they pull a Gears 4 graphical improvement then they should really delay it. It not being a launch title isn't a big deal, almost no consoles have launched with a standout system seller. PS2 and the original Xbox had them, but the 360 and PS3 didn't really. The PS4 and Xbone only had two good launch games between them with Killer Instinct and Resogun. Frankly it's either delay it unless it's drastically improved graphically or risk it straight up killing the franchise. I'm not a huge graphicsfag but when the game looks like someone went into the console and typed out mat_fullbright 1 it makes it actively bad to look at.

Not to even mention the grass straight up culling itself on screen or the pop-in. If they can pay for Psychonauts 2 to be delayed a fourth time they can sure as shit do it for their flaship franchise because if it's a clusterfuck at launch the series will be pretty much dead to alot of people. 343 has already had 4 strikes, they fucked up Halo 4 with the awful multiplayer, MCC was a disaster, Halo 5 was straight up bullshit outside of the multiplayer and even then it was too sweaty, and Halo Wars 2 had awful microtransaction shit. It's sad because the gameplay actually looked fun and I say that as someone who hates sprint in Halo.
What standout seller did the PS2 have on launch day? There was nothing that stood out in my memory,

Xbox did have one of the best launches ever though, the 360's wasn't great but it was decent, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Perfect Dark Zero (not great but not bad) and DOA4 (which I think was "launch window" to be fair)

The PS3 launch was pretty meh, but did have Resistance, which wasn't great, but at least was something you could point to as a noteworthy first party launch day game, that's more than the PS2 had tbh.

No, they're just being incompetent as usual. The art style is more in line with Bungie era halo but 343 are so retarded they fucked it up by having shit tier textures and lighting.
I can't help but wonder if this is thanks to "diverse" hiring, hiring people based on skin color and gender rather than talent and then not being able to bluntly tell them "no, this sucks" or even fire them when they don't do a good enough job.

Swiss46

White Trash Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
After slaughtering them for 20 years does anyone else feel empathy for The Grunts? They were always the joke enemy of Halo, if it were Mario they'd be the Goombas. For crying out loud they flee in horror once Chief has turned the tide of battle into his favor. I've always felt pity for them, when they scream in horror, "LEADER DEAD RUN AWAY!" or "SOMEONE HELP I'M FIGHTING DEMON!"

Can't they break away from The Covenant? Can't one brave Grunt join the side of the Chief? I'll kill Jackals and Elites all day but I don't want to keep killing Grunts. #GruntLivesMatter
They've actually tried to rebel before. The covenant glassed a sizable portion of their home planet in retaliation.
Edit: fixed quote

Reactions: Cardenio

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
I can't help but wonder if this is thanks to "diverse" hiring, hiring people based on skin color and gender rather than talent and then not being able to bluntly tell them "no, this sucks" or even fire them when they don't do a good enough job.
I think they should get rid of Bonnie Ross. She's the Kathleen Kennedy of 343i.

• Agree
Reactions: Dom Cruise

Borax Bozo

Here until I can finally rest.
kiwifarms.net
Grunts are poor little bastards, they are part of the soul of Halo. No other FPS really has an enemy unit that is almost entirely just a comic relief. I would love a multiplayer mode where one team is grunts, with one or two player being elites while the other team is humans. Grunts immediately respawn upon death. Basically like invasion but one team is massively underpowered in terms of firepower but has massively superior numbers. One thing that popped up to me is that the graphics in the demo looked extremely "forge like" to me, as in it looked like a forge canvas from 5. My optimistic take is that this means we can forge AI now.
A mode where one side has respawn tickets like Battlefield and the other side can't respawn but is superpowered seems like a great idea. Especially if you get swarms of AI buddies too like some of For Honor's modes.

Titos

kiwifarms.net
What standout seller did the PS2 have on launch day? There was nothing that stood out in my memory,

Xbox did have one of the best launches ever though, the 360's wasn't great but it was decent, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Perfect Dark Zero (not great but not bad) and DOA4 (which I think was "launch window" to be fair)

The PS3 launch was pretty meh, but did have Resistance, which wasn't great, but at least was something you could point to as a noteworthy first party launch day game, that's more than the PS2 had tbh.
PS2 launched with Armored Core 2, for some reason I was thinking DMC and SH2 were launch titles but they were about a half a year after launch.

Übertroon

Gotta go fast
kiwifarms.net
It looks like there are some cool stuff that I didn't notice in the demo.
According to that guy, the enemy can lose parts of their armors, depending on where you shoot. Brutes can pick up suicide grunts to throw them at the chief, etc.
See these are all great, but I would expect as the gameplay reveal trailer they would show off their best content, and it would be incredibly stupid of them to expect that people would be thrilled by shutting down a generic AA turret in a boring area that concludes with a monologue from a bland villain. Like you would expect a montage showing off a wide variety of locations and enemies like they did with the gameplay reveal trailers for previous games, and perhaps end it with someone who actually seems like a major villain rather than brute #451. If they're pleased with the trailers they showed they should reassess how they do marketing.
Compare it with the gameplay reveal trailer for Halo Reach

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net

I've felt bad about them since the first game. The third game onwards seemed to have made an effort dehumanising them a little more, since they seemed less "soft" in personality, at least in my opinion. But I get their existence is to be there as easy cannon fodder, so when Johnny Shitskills dies in the first 2 minutes, he can feel proud knowing that at least he was able to kill a couple of grunts and so mustn't totally suck.

• Feels
Reactions: The Last Stand

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
What are game studios doing during COVID? I assume most are working from home and probably suffering from a lack of in-person meetings and easy sharing of ideas/work. I'm clueless as to what it takes these days to get assets into games, but maybe there's a problem getting their work imported into the game for testing without powerful rigs?

Titos

kiwifarms.net
What are game studios doing during COVID? I assume most are working from home and probably suffering from a lack of in-person meetings and easy sharing of ideas/work. I'm clueless as to what it takes these days to get assets into games, but maybe there's a problem getting their work imported into the game for testing without powerful rigs?
Wouldn't surprise me if that's causing issues. There are some studios that do all their work remotely even before the coof like Moon who make the Ori games which are great, but they only have like 80 people not 500 or so. Another fun connection between Moon is the composer for Ori is composing for Halo Infinite which gives me great hope for the soundtrack since the guy is an amazing composer and is rather versatile like Marty. They're gonna be releasing some of his music for Halo this week aparently. Another weird autistic connection is Mick Gordon pretty much became widely known because of his work on the Killer Instinct reboot which was developed by a bunch of nobodies initially. Then he got to work on fucking Doom. Gareth Coker only became known because he worked on Ori, which was also made by a studio nobody had known about before really, now he's working on Halo. Syncronicity or something like that. Either way he's the perfect fit if you ask me.

Merried Senior Comic

Half-Man, Half-Jerk
kiwifarms.net
I got the MCC on sale with everything. I played a lot of Halo 3 from release to the middle of '09 and I was actually pretty decent at it. Trying the multiplayer now is... Wow. Either I completely suck at Halo now or something changed because I am always going 1 kill to 20 deaths.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't believe it's open world, actually. I think it's similar to Doom in that there are distinct levels but each level has side objectives you can complete.
I hope that's the case, open world map designs in FPSes aren't my thing, I hate that formulaic shit you see like in the new Far Cry games, I'm hoping the map design is something more akin to Doom 2016.

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
Sounds like Forerunner tech.
It’s actually just Chief scratching his balls.

I got the MCC on sale with everything. I played a lot of Halo 3 from release to the middle of '09 and I was actually pretty decent at it. Trying the multiplayer now is... Wow. Either I completely suck at Halo now or something changed because I am always going 1 kill to 20 deaths.
It’s probably a combination of the net code having issues and people who are still on the MCC tend to be Halo veterans who know the game like the back of their hands.

The Last Stand

RIP Olivia de Havilland (1916-2020)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played a lot of Halo 3 from release to the middle of '09 and I was actually pretty decent at it.
Define decent. Decent as in a pretty high rank, decent with your K/D, W/L ratio, or decent as in getting a lot of achievements for it?

I've felt bad about them since the first game. The third game onwards seemed to have made an effort dehumanising them a little more, since they seemed less "soft" in personality, at least in my opinion. But I get their existence is to be there as easy cannon fodder, so when Johnny Shitskills dies in the first 2 minutes, he can feel proud knowing that at least he was able to kill a couple of grunts and so mustn't totally suck.
Grunts had character? I thought they were cute up until they go suicide on you.

I like their dialogue. And the birthday party skull with them.

Tags
None