Harley Quinn - DC Universe Series - Verdict s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ I̶N̶. out again.

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
I can see the similarities with Venture Bros. but Costumed villainy is serious in the DC world so it's hard to enjoy the self-aware failure motiff from the Ventures bros as much as i should. haven't seen the whole thing yet or paid attention to DC since Death of the Family so there's that.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
From what I've seen it looks like it's trying to be a "grown up" version of tas and while it can be funny (I still get giggles when king shark mentions losing weight) it's trying way to hard with it's "mature" viewers angle. It's like watching a high schooler trying to be edgy with cursing people out and occasionally making a funny line here and there. If the show dials back on trying too hard it could be too notch.

Niggaplease

meww
kiwifarms.net
Well at least they stopped romanticizing the harleyxjoker ship. You don't have to be an SJW to realize how kinds of fucked up it can be.
No you don't want a relationship where your lover uses you then throws you in a vat of toxins only to use and abuse you some more.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
Ok, well I honestly wasn't expecting *that* ending.
Ivy: Resurrected for literally no reason. (Don't get me wrong, it was obvious she wasn't actually dead... But the reason why she comes back, as it was explained, was just stupid.), The Justice League: still vanquished (Makes sense in the context of the show, it wouldn't have made sense if this Harley had even *tried* to save this justice league, especially since they're all asshole retards....), Batman: presumed dead... (I bet he isn't, but yeah...), Gotham: totally obliterated. (I actually *liked* it when Harley and crew were all happy that Gotham was burning... That actually makes sense because they're all *villains* please take note BOP.)
TBH only that first bit about Ivy actually bothered me...

Speaking of Ivy, it was stupid AF that they all spent time giving Ivy an impromptu funeral mid-way through storming Joker's tower. Why didn't Joker just kill them during that? Also, why wasn't Queen of Fables in this episode *at all*?

Sadder question, why was Kiteman living in a tent next to Ivy's makeshift grave as soon as "one week later"? Wasn't he already established as having an apartment and a roommate? Way to push a character who had somehow been perfectly straddling the line between "pathetic" and "awesome" straight into just pathetic. Hell nah.

Apparently the next season starts next month First paragraph here says it... I'll keep watching it I think.
I am especially curious to see what they do with a "normal" Joker.

Last edited:

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
I tried watching it and, I dunno, maybe I'm just losing my taste for this sort of comedy as I grow older. I just didn't care much for it.
I will say the animation is pretty good, and the voice acting is pretty well done for the most part.

Racist Trash

The piece of rubbish on the floor has returned!
kiwifarms.net
Ok, well I honestly wasn't expecting *that* ending.
Ivy: Resurrected for literally no reason. (Don't get me wrong, it was obvious she wasn't actually dead... But the reason why she comes back, as it was explained, was just stupid.), The Justice League: still vanquished (Makes sense in the context of the show, it wouldn't have made sense if this Harley had even *tried* to save this justice league, especially since they're all asshole exceptional individuals....), Batman: presumed dead... (I bet he isn't, but yeah...), Gotham: totally obliterated. (I actually *liked* it when Harley and crew were all happy that Gotham was burning... That actually makes sense because they're all *villains* please take note BOP.)
TBH only that first bit about Ivy actually bothered me...

Speaking of Ivy, it was stupid AF that they all spent time giving Ivy an impromptu funeral mid-way through storming Joker's tower. Why didn't Joker just kill them during that? Also, why wasn't Queen of Fables in this episode *at all*?

Sadder question, why was Kiteman living in a tent next to Ivy's makeshift grave as soon as "one week later"? Wasn't he already established as having an apartment and a roommate? Way to push a character who had somehow been perfectly straddling the line between "pathetic" and "awesome" straight into just pathetic. Hell nah.

Apparently the next season starts next month First paragraph here says it... I'll keep watching it I think.
I am especially curious to see what they do with a "normal" Joker.

Wait next month?
And yeah I just thought the Ivy thing was that she was a plant so when they buried her she just grew or something and it would be played as "Yeah I'm a plant Harley, you put them in soil and they grow", and yeah the Queen of Fables being erased from the story by Harley hitting her once in the head was strange as fuck I don't know if that's a comic reference or something. And with the scarecrow mask floating to the top of the water after dumping the toxins a couple of episodes ago I was expecting some kind of twist relating to him. If I was to make a lazy speculation about post acid joker it will be that he takes the mantle of Batman or something.

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
Wait next month?
The wikipedia page says season 2 starts on April 3rd. Ok, not literally next month, but only a few days more than a month away if that's to be believed. (Take it with a grain of salt, because I didnt see a citation.)

That's still a really quick turnaround time if true.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
The wikipedia page says season 2 starts on April 3rd. Ok, not literally next month, but only a few days more than a month away if that's to be believed. (Take it with a grain of salt, because I didnt see a citation.)

That's still a really quick turnaround time if true.
Best assumption I can come up with is that Seasons 1 and 2 were commisioned as one long block of episodes that they split off into two separate ones, ala Netflix or CN's models.

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
I forgot to mention, in that scene where Joker was torturing all of Harley's crew... they all got it pretty bad, but poor poor Dr. Psycho...

Reactions: Jewelsmakerguy

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
I forgot to mention, in that scene where Joker was torturing all of Harley's crew... they all got it pretty bad, but poor poor Dr. Psycho...
That joke was hillarious. That's the sort of thing that makes me think the show isn't SJW-nonsense because they rarely have that level of self-awareness or enough tolerance to make a non-SJW person sympathetic / likeable. Which Dr. Psycho is in this cartoon. I think the creators are, dare I actually say this, independently minded and neither SJWs nor reactionary anti-SJWs. Either way, it was funny and that's the point - they understand their job and they do it.

So the season wrapped up, the next one is right around the corner. I can unequivocally say that I enjoyed this. It's funny, it's adult without being try-hard edgy. Harley herself isn't put on some moral pedestal where she can beat someone to death and we're still supposed to say she's a hero because she's an abuse victim. I liked the call back to her blackmailing Gotham city into naming a highway after her - these sorts of circle-backs really add to a show. Good grief, Joker is a horrible person. His tortures of all of them are mean-spirited and his motivations in total are just so monstrously petty and spiteful. The end he has planned for Harley was genuinely disturbing to me. Killing her isn't enough because some part of him will regret losing her which will diminish him - he can't be the ultimate above-it-all if she still has that power over him. So he wants to devalue her in his mind and take away everything that makes her special. It's never made entirely clear what the acid does but the whole schtick of removing some vital part of her identity so that she disgusts him and he loses interest is a whole new level of psychological self-insight and nastiness. It's disturbingly accurate to real life abusers and frankly this cartoon does a better job of highlighting and examining abuse than any number of more on the nose comics about Harley. This and the episode where she learns that she chose to jump really accomplish that. Full marks to the creators for being able to make a genuine commentary on a real-world issue that SJW types used for virtue signalling and double-standards whilst simultaneously not triggering the conditioned anti-SJW reflex most of us have built up by this point. Frankly, Joker did this to himself and nobody deserves it more than he does. I kind of hope he's just gone for next season - I honestly don't really want to see what the acid actually did.

The fact that they made one of her crew of villains a retired Mossad agent cracks me up. All the references to his previous black ops work, assassinations, burying of countless bodies... I'm slightly surprised they got away with that. I mean, truth in media - who still does that?

Saw a few people commenting that they thought Ivy's return was contrived. Uh, I mean, everyone saw that coming and they knew everyone would saw that coming. They just went with it. I can't believe some people unironically think of the tears as being the real reason when even Ivy only says it because Harley looks like she kicked a puppy when she says the tears had nothing to do with it.

Hard to pick highlights of the season for me but I loved Penguin's nephew's bar mitzvah, pretty much everything with Dr. Psycho, the reveal of King Shark's "problem" with blood, Kite Man - Hell Yeah! And Aquaman running around trying to save the fish. Also, Batman is great because he's voiced and behaves in this almost exactly like he does in other media and he goes from serious to comic without having to change a thing just by the context of this show being silly. In fact, throughout all of this there seems to be a genuine respect and affection for the original characters. A major hang-up I have is people messing with the power levels of characters just for plot reasons. It's a sign of good writing when creators can manage different power levels of characters elegantly and this show does that.

Yep - 9/10 for me and looking forward to Season 2.

Reactions: UnKillFill

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
From what I've seen it looks like it's trying to be a "grown up" version of tas and while it can be funny (I still get giggles when king shark mentions losing weight) it's trying way to hard with it's "mature" viewers angle. It's like watching a high schooler trying to be edgy with cursing people out and occasionally making a funny line here and there. If the show dials back on trying too hard it could be too notch.
The thing is, TAS was pretty grown up. Most of the DCAU was, except for Static Shock and Zeta, understandable for both as they were about immature people (Static was a teenager, Zeta was some kind of newly minted conscious robot). Batman Beyond and Justice League were even pulled due to more adults watching them than the target demographic. (In my heart I include Freakazoid in the DCAU, and it also applies, even if it's actually not.)

What did Batman TAS do to demonstrate it was grown up? Mature plots, great writing, beautiful animation, to the point where FOX put it on in primetime at one point. (Before they had football.) What is this? Is this just "haha we curse a lot and are super violent, look at harley!"

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
The thing is, TAS was pretty grown up. Most of the DCAU was, except for Static Shock and Zeta, understandable for both as they were about immature people (Static was a teenager, Zeta was some kind of newly minted conscious robot). Batman Beyond and Justice League were even pulled due to more adults watching them than the target demographic. (In my heart I include Freakazoid in the DCAU, and it also applies, even if it's actually not.)

What did Batman TAS do to demonstrate it was grown up? Mature plots, great writing, beautiful animation, to the point where FOX put it on in primetime at one point. (Before they had football.) What is this? Is this just "haha we curse a lot and are super violent, look at harley!"
It's like tas is an adult that knows being mature doesn't mean swearing, making sex jokes and acting like an edgelord and Harley Quinn is the adult that really needs to learn that lesson

• Agree
Reactions: TaimuRadiu

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
It's like tas is an adult that knows being mature doesn't mean swearing, making sex jokes and acting like an edgelord and Harley Quinn is the adult that really needs to learn that lesson
Eh, it's not like the show is tittering like Beavis and Butthead going "Oooh, look at us, we said the f-word". They just use Fuck and shit the same way I do - I say it when I'm annoyed. What would sound weird is if Harley expressed her frustration by yelling "Poop!" or some other lame substitute - just would sound weird. Not everything is try-hard edginess. Sometimes a fuck is just a fuck.

Only time they made anything of language was when Dr. Psycho called Wonder Woman "a fucking CUNT!" and that was downright hillarious with the media getting all over him for it and the LoD disavowing his misogynistic attitudes. It's kind of the antithesis of what you're talking about because the whole humour of the situation is in satirizing a society that gets more upset about a word than a guy literally being a super-villain.

B:TAS and B:tBatB and Harley Quinn are all different and all good, imo. If you want to see edgy try-hard shit look at the SJW-influenced comics for Harley where she literally murders children but it's okay because she's embracing her independence or some crap. Now that's exactly the sort of thing you're talking about.

Last edited:
Tags
None