Harley Quinn - DC Universe Series - Verdict s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ I̶N̶. out again.

FernandoPooTragedy

Everyone is exceptional!
kiwifarms.net
I had a thought about Batman acting like such a stupid dick in that one episode. It was pointed out in a video about the first season that in the finale he fell into the Joker acid vat. And we may get some iteration of The Bat Who Laughs. Maybe this is part of the descent. Thoughts?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
I wonder how long they plan to continue the series, at the rate they are killing characters, by the end of a third season, you would only have the main cast. I have liked it more when its a dark commedy than when it tries to get more emotional or serious. Also, has anyone else read Bomb Queen? This feels like a lighter version. Its pretty good.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
I unironically enjoy it. I liked the first season a little better, it felt a lot like Venture Brothers, especially the Bar Mitzvah episode. And since it takes forever an a day for new seasons of that glorious show to come out, this will work until then. Clay Face's best "character work" was in the college episode. Because, in this version, he really is a bitchy twenty year old girl. If you just take the characters as they are, and don't think too hard about their comic pasts, it's fun. It's okay to have fun. :feels:

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
*Sigh* They went there.

By there, Harley-Ivy lesbian relationship. Reasons I don't like this in no particular order.
  1. It feels forced as Hell. There's been no sexual tension or flirting between the two up until now. And yes, I'm including the accidental fall together in the talk show episode which basically lampshaded the audience's obsession with reading too much into things with the in-show caption the station put on it. Then suddenly - I mean *really* suddenly, they're playing tonsil hockey. Right after escaping Bane's pit. Massively out of the blue.
  2. Ivy is in love and engaged. She's spent the last few episodes finally admitting how much in love she is and suddenly she's making out with someone else. I have really liked this version of Ivy. She's seemed like a really decent person. Less so if she's about to engage in a side-flirtation.
  3. I dislike the way everything has to be sexual and special identity. If this were less politicised then I wouldn't much care about Ivy and Harley having a sexual relationship. And I'm self-aware enough to know I shouldn't let context outside the show affect what I think of it so there isn't much of this last one as a factor here. But there is some. It's hard to ignore the angry tumblerinas screaming for blood when they dare keep Ivy straight (as she has been in most portrayals) and in a relationship with a regular guy to appease their need for identity politics. In fact, the main reason for any negativity in regards to this is not so much an issue with them doing this, but that it's the reason why we got the first two actual problems. The forcedness and the devalument of it which are presumably the result of a desire to please the woke brigade. It's possible that it's not but the writing and characterization on this show has been so good generally a misstep this large feels unlikely.
  4. They work better as friends. Harley is a hugely destructive person who spent most of the time with Ivy wrecking her apartment, mocking her boyfriend, mooching off her, demanding Ivy bail her out when she gets in over her head and generally disregarding Ivy's advice and help repeatedly. Meanwhile we know Ivy basically had no friends and so presumably put up with all of it for this reason. All of these are signs that it would be a really good idea to turn the relationship sexual. That'll get toxic fast.
The show has bought itself enough credit with me that I'll see where it's going. They might just be trolling us. Doesn't quite feel it, though.

Other than the last five seconds, this was a fun episode. Ivy being forced to do stand-up was great and I like Bane more and more every episode. He's kind of heart-warming as a villain. He's just so sincere and his needs (have someone respect him) so modest. It's also nice to see that he actually is dangerous / powerful whether that be beating up Batman a previous episode or catching Harley and Ivy at the end of this (briefly).

I could do without the Gordon sub-plot though. Like with Batman I prefer it when there's some consistency. Gordon taking out a roomfulls of Twoface's men and then beating up Twoface as well... I get that they were lampshading it with the way the goons kept failing to shoot him at close range but it didn't work for me. Elsewhere the powerlevels of different characters have been pretty well-thought out. Then we get his. Also, I really don't like Fourth Wall breaking. Gordon's lines about "montage" pull me out of my immersion in the show. It got a bit Rick and Morty there at times.

Someone in this thread saying that the "Snyder Cut" meta stuff last week was actually filmed ages back and that it was a response to a reaction they expected but which never came (which is why it fell a bit flat) makes me think something similar happened here. That they planned this out a while back and unwisely stuck with it even though the Ivy-Kiteman thing came across as really sweet and well-received (except for the Tumblerina's IdPol crowd, of course).

FernandoPooTragedy

Everyone is exceptional!
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't have minded if this had happened, like, next season. I could see something happening to Kiteman. His death propels Harley to stop being such a self-centered brat and comes through for Ivy in a way she never has before. They spend season 3 mourning and clinging to each other more than ever. Then, season three finale - blamo. They come together romantically.

...I mean, right?

Last edited:

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
You mean I wrote nine paragraphs because they trolled me? Well played, Harley Quinn writers. Well played.

They're playing with fire, though. The IdPol crew don't like it when you give them something then take it away again.
That would be absolutely hilarious, for them to take it all back with a GOTCHA! and set all the tumblrspergs off.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Going to be honest I came in expecting this to be More DC pandering dribble, and Came out not only surprised but enjoying it.

I think I like Ivy, bane, and clayface the most.

Mostly bane and clay face. Bane just comes off as being a villain with a heart of gold, and goofball nature of how far clayface is willing to take his acting always gets a kick out of me.

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
I had a thought about Batman acting like such a stupid dick in that one episode. It was pointed out in a video about the first season that in the finale he fell into the Joker acid vat. And we may get some iteration of The Bat Who Laughs. Maybe this is part of the descent. Thoughts?
I feel like Alfred would have acted more surprised if he wasn't already used to Bruce acting like a half retarded man-child.

Speaking of child, where the hell is Damien in all of this? Even the spoiled brat version we've seen of him so far would have probably been a better choice for Batman to name as defender of the city than the (totally untrained) social media obsessed version of Batgirl that this manchild version of Batman actually endorsed.

Also, Vaya Con Dios George Lopez.

Reactions: Overly Serious

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
I like the 2nd season way more than the first. seems to hit the right balance of goofy and serious costume villianry. The pacing is way better than the first too.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
I take back my concerns from last week. I was so wrong to doubt them. This episode was fucking hilarious. Dark Seid, Granny Goodness, Kiteman's parents... Doctor Psycho flipping out and actually being cool (love that little guy). And the Harley-Ivy kiss thing from last week? I worried they were suddenly going to go IdPol Tumblerina and throw out all this great characterization and relationships. Then someone reassured me that it was going to be a throwaway moment thrown in just to tease / troll people. Turns out it was neither and actually something better than both - actual relationship issues that don't feel forced and which I actually care about. Poor Harley. I mean, I say poor Harley - she did get a shit-tonne of people killed this episode.

Like seriously - there's someone cradling a woman's severed head in one of those scenes.

This show also does my favourite thing in the comic book genre: pays attention to consistency between different power levels. Harley Quinn trying to take down Granny Goodness with a baseball bat was never, ever, going to end well. Top stuff.

FernandoPooTragedy

Everyone is exceptional!
kiwifarms.net
I take back my concerns from last week. I was so wrong to doubt them. This episode was fucking hilarious. Dark Seid, Granny Goodness, Kiteman's parents... Doctor Psycho flipping out and actually being cool (love that little guy). And the Harley-Ivy kiss thing from last week? I worried they were suddenly going to go IdPol Tumblerina and throw out all this great characterization and relationships. Then someone reassured me that it was going to be a throwaway moment thrown in just to tease / troll people. Turns out it was neither and actually something better than both - actual relationship issues that don't feel forced and which I actually care about. Poor Harley. I mean, I say poor Harley - she did get a shit-tonne of people killed this episode.

Like seriously - there's someone cradling a woman's severed head in one of those scenes.

This show also does my favourite thing in the comic book genre: pays attention to consistency between different power levels. Harley Quinn trying to take down Granny Goodness with a baseball bat was never, ever, going to end well. Top stuff.
I get the feeling that the show is going to do a lot of that. It seems to like fucking with expectations (in a zany way, not a Rian Johnson way) and be topsy-turvy to match Harley's energy. It's established a pattern at this point of giving us tastes of things that seem to be going one way and then go another. I had a similar experience with the Damien Wayne episode and where they seemed to be going with Queen of Fables in season one.

If you ask me, they're going to keep doing stuff like this until it wears out.

I think Psycho may officially be my favorite male character on the show. Which is weird because I usually find the "funny" misogynist/bigot character dull and rote, but they definitely have a fresh take on it that's sort of a less-sympathetic and more simplistic version of Archer. He's just a flaming misogynist. No Mommy issues. No heartbreak (if you know anything about Psycho's comic backstory you know what I am talking about). None of that "explanation" shit. He's just a pathetic little man who spouts hilarious shit and occasionally does decent things. Sort of like the book version of Tyrion Lannister. I was expecting to like Sy Borgman best because I just generally love Alter Kockers (Five is my favorite Umbrella Academy character, for instance). But nah, Psycho is just fantastic.

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
Between this episode and the announcement of the Snyder Cut, everything's coming up Darkseid!

Now that the bad joke is out of the way, I was happy to learn that Michael Ironside reprised his role as the Lord of Apolokips and surprised to hear Jessica Walter (Malory Archer) voicing Kite Man's mom. Doctor Psycho's arc was nice add-on to his "B" story with Riddler a couple of episodes back and may lead to him being another antagonist for Harley's Crew.

While the kiss was played off as nothing at the start, Harley constantly bringing up how she's unpredictable, and that ending moment where she was about to say something important to Ivy before changing the subject to Ivy's bachelorette party makes me think something will happen at the wedding. If that event is the season finale, there could be a cliffhanging moment that will moist the Tumblr crowd's pants.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Between this episode and the announcement of the Snyder Cut, everything's coming up Darkseid!

Now that the bad joke is out of the way, I was happy to learn that Michael Ironside reprised his role as the Lord of Apolokips and surprised to hear Jessica Walter (Malory Archer) voicing Kite Man's mom. Doctor Psycho's arc was nice add-on to his "B" story with Riddler a couple of episodes back and may lead to him being another antagonist for Harley's Crew.

While the kiss was played off as nothing at the start, Harley constantly bringing up how she's unpredictable, and that ending moment where she was about to say something important to Ivy before changing the subject to Ivy's bachelorette party makes me think something will happen at the wedding. If that event is the season finale, there could be a cliffhanging moment that will moist the Tumblr crowd's pants.
If I was to take a guess. Maybe Dr pyscho will end up commanding the parademon army and attack during the wedding, and kite man will end up giving his life to save Ivy during the wedding.

Given how massive of a Evil boner DR P has It seems like something he would do.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley
Tags
None