Harry Potter and why its world building is so boring? - Avada Kedavra vs M16

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net
>kids are open carrying the magic equivalent to full auto firearms on steroids, starting at age 12
>nobody bats an eye at this, and nothing really bad ever happens
>the wizard government (ministry of magic) is basically a totalitarian all-seeing surveillance state that imposes permanent supervision on any and all magic cast by wizards anywhere, at any time
>said wizard government also routinely subjects prisoners to being tortured by literal soul destroying nightmare demons
>but they are completely oblivious to the return of wizard hitler and his wizard SS until his wizard stormtroopers literally assault the govt headquarters itself, even though it has been less than 20 years since the guy tried to take over the last time

the world of HP is absolutely hilarious in so many ways :story:
One person does bat an eye at the first point, but she's an evil bitch who aligns herself with Wizard Hitler later on anyway. Our hero meanwhile goes full Molon Labe and this is the only thing that makes resistance to Wizard Hitler's regime viable later on. Based and gadsden-pilled.

Last edited:

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
Nowadays I just think of the houses as;
Good Guys
Bad Guys
So called smart Guys
Mentally handicapped

That's how Rowling wrote them, until she started screaming of them shitting and pissing on the floor.
There were a very small handful of attempts to mix things up.

That one guy in Hufflepuff from book 4 who Voldemort kills at the end when he gets his body back. He defied stereotypes by being Chad Thundercock and cucking Harry. This was all part of a heavy-handed effort to make his death more tragic.

Wormtail was presumably in Gryffindor and was both mentally handicapped and a bad guy.

Snape (Slytherin) was a mole for the good guys because he was obsessed with a girl who blew him off in high school to marry and sex up his bully, making him technically a good guy and also the ultimate incel nice guy.

Slugworth (Slytherin) helped the good guys a little willingly, after accidentally helping the bad guy a lot more.

I guess Luna might sort of count, since she was a total sperg and was in Ravenclaw.

And that's it. Rowling seemed to make more of an attempt to go beyond the stereotypes as the series went on (and got more "mature"), but it was a pretty half-assed and underwhelming attempt. She's just not very good at writing depth or complexity.

The whole deal with Cho Chang was always ridiculous to me. Just google a bit: both Cho and Chang are last names, but Cho as a name exists and seems to be, for what I've read, more common in Taiwan.
I find it far funnier that Cho's entire personality is "Bitches be emotional and irrational" and her main role is to screw over la resistance by getting her even flakier friend involved who rats everyone out, and whom she then defends despite the magnitude of that fuckery. Cho is pretty much nothing but a walking "bros before hos" message. A self-centered crybaby who can't be trusted with anything important. JK Rowling the feminist, everyone.

everyone shrugging off the fact that Umbridge most likely got raped by centaurs after Hermione gave her to them in Book 5 (that shocked me even as a kid since I had read Greek mythology, and centaurs are widely known for raping women)
Honestly, maybe that would have been good for her in the long run. She probably just needed a good horsecock fucking to stop being such a fucking bitch.

Stardust

Ģιίττεર ƣƲεεɴ
kiwifarms.net
Sparrowhawk is a much better protagonist.
Indeed. He had a great character arc. Though, I'm still on the fence about the fourth book. It doesn't stick with me, like the previous three books.

Interestingly, Roke (the school's name) is not even half the first book, nor does it really appear in the following books, but the society and "rules" are much better established, even in those few chapters.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
I find it far funnier that Cho's entire personality is "Bitches be emotional and irrational" and her main role is to screw over la resistance by getting her even flakier friend involved who rats everyone out, and whom she then defends despite the magnitude of that fuckery. Cho is pretty much nothing but a walking "bros before hos" message. A self-centered crybaby who can't be trusted with anything important. JK Rowling the feminist, everyone.
To be fair, there are many competent and normal ladies in the books. Not every woman was meant to be perfect. Also, I guess the purpose of her character was to prove that Harry was driven by her looks rather than for her personality, which is very normal and common for a 14 years old kid.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Because the world is SO BAD, like diet soda.
kiwifarms.net
Most wizards not understanding muggle technology is going to bite them in the ass when the freshmen class starts bringing smart phones.
Harry quite had had enough with Cho rejecting his advances. Did that bitch not know that he was The Boy Who Lived? The Chosen One? Harry knew that few in the insular wizarding world knew anything outside of their wands and magic. He knew there were things in the muggle world that even the most powerful wizards could not contend with. He put the strap of his AR-15 around his shoulder, chuckling as he stepped over Dudley's body while thinking of how powerless even The Ministry of Magic truly was. No Chinese slut was going to make a fool out of the boy prophecized to destroy He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Now, it was time to salvage the honor of He-Who-Did-Not-Get-Laid. He rubbed the double-lightning bolt scar on his forehead, chuckled to himself, and walked out the door.

Fluoxetine Man

Bouncing dollars off the Fat Controller
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of the movies - i think they are quite fun...
Why didn't the "wizards" just cast themselves out of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody? Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
a-at least the books were good though
"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Last edited:

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
Everything to do with the Time Turner.
Smarter writers that J.K Rowling have tried to use time travel as a story mechanics, some did okay, J'K Rowling fucked up hard.
Then there's the "Marauder's Map". Fred & George must have been pretty weirded out that their baby brother slept with Peter Piskuilan every night for over two years....

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
I definitely agree with everyone that J.K was writing the story by the seat if her pants; adding new things last minute, or retconning something that happened in a previous book or chapter.

The story has enough mystery in it to keep kids interested and for adults to be slightly amused, but I do believe I have read fanfics that have done a better job in describing J.K's magic in greater details.

And lets not forget about the movies. At least for the first three (Goblet of Fire was when things started to get...weird), the directors did an amazing job in illustrating the wackiness in the Wizarding World, which probably contribute to why so many people believed the series had great world building when in reality, it really didn't.

2020Suicide

Homecoming King
kiwifarms.net
Everything to do with the Time Turner.
Smarter writers that J.K Rowling have tried to use time travel as a story mechanics, some did okay, J'K Rowling fucked up hard.
Then there's the "Marauder's Map". Fred & George must have been pretty weirded out that their baby brother slept with Peter Piskuilan every night for over two years....
you would think she would have included a thing in there like harry asking them about it and them saying "we kept looking for the fucker but we could never see him, we just assumed it was a glitch or a ghost"

like the wesleys live together so for them to have never checked out their brothers room when looking at the map to see what was going on, is sort of bizare.

Ursula K. LeGuin did the scar-faced magical prodigy attending a wizard school better, in my opinion, with A Wizard of Earthsea.
so is she just stingy with the rights or what? because you would think someone would have adapted it by now, same with dragonriders of pern.

There were a very small handful of attempts to mix things up.

That one guy in Hufflepuff from book 4 who Voldemort kills at the end when he gets his body back. He defied stereotypes by being Chad Thundercock and cucking Harry. This was all part of a heavy-handed effort to make his death more tragic.

Wormtail was presumably in Gryffindor and was both mentally handicapped and a bad guy.

Snape (Slytherin) was a mole for the good guys because he was obsessed with a girl who blew him off in high school to marry and sex up his bully, making him technically a good guy and also the ultimate incel nice guy.

Slugworth (Slytherin) helped the good guys a little willingly, after accidentally helping the bad guy a lot more.

I guess Luna might sort of count, since she was a total sperg and was in Ravenclaw.
even those are still in the traits, Snape and Slugworth being manipulators and spies fits with the slytherin sterotype, spergs like luna can still be smart. and cedric already felt like a chris klein-type, he was a chad but a stupid one, sort of like chris klein's character in election. he helped harry out because he's a nice guy but it seemed clear he didn't have much going on upstairs. no way in hell would ron or most of the other characters share a victory or help a competitor out. you dont see that shit during the quidich matches

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Harry Potter as a series got super popular due to them being good children's mystery books and then JK did something I'm not sure any other book series around the same time did, and I cant think of any that did this period, JK had the main characters grow up at the same time as the majority of her reader base did. So when 15 yr old Sally was going through bullshit high school drama she could read about how her friend she's known since she was 11, named Hermoine was going through the same high school bullshit.

It makes the books incredibly successful for the time, but they aren't going to last. That bond is needed and future kids aren't going to have it. Kids today dont even care about Harry Potter as much as millenials and zoomers do.

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
Harry Potter as a series got super popular due to them being good children's mystery books and then JK did something I'm not sure any other book series around the same time did, and I cant think of any that did this period, JK had the main characters grow up at the same time as the majority of her reader base did. So when 15 yr old Sally was going through bullshit high school drama she could read about how her friend she's known since she was 11, named Hermoine was going through the same high school bullshit.

It makes the books incredibly successful for the time, but they aren't going to last. That bond is needed and future kids aren't going to have it. Kids today dont even care about Harry Potter as much as millenials and zoomers do.
Stop. Nigger,

Tags
None