‘Harry Potter’ series rumor shot down by HBO Max, Warner Bros. -

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
What would even be the point? The movie series finished under a decade ago, which is way too close to be doing a remake. Even the Amazon LOTR series is using shit from The Silmarillion, not just re-doing the trilogy.

"B-b-but a TV show would allow them to put in all the filler shit that was cut from the books!"

Yeah, because reading pages upon pages of play-by-play descriptions of Quidditch matches, Umbridge being a poorly-written British "mean teacher" literary cliche, Ron Weasley's self-esteem issues over sucking at everything and Harry angsting over his secret gay lover late headmaster Albus Dumbledore was truly the most compelling thing about the books.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
What would even be the point? The movie series finished under a decade ago, which is way too close to be doing a remake. Even the Amazon LOTR series is using shit from The Silmarillion, not just re-doing the trilogy.

"B-b-but a TV show would allow them to put in all the filler shit that was cut from the books!"

Yeah, because reading pages upon pages of play-by-play descriptions of Quidditch matches, Umbridge being a poorly-written British "mean teacher" literary cliche, Ron Weasley's self-esteem issues over sucking at everything and Harry angsting over his secret gay lover late headmaster Albus Dumbledore was truly the most compelling thing about the books.
Less of that stuff, more of things that were completely skipped over. The Deathday Party in Chamber of Secrets, the Quidditch World Cup in Goblet of Fire and the one that sticks in my craw the most: The rest of the flashbacks in Half-Blood Prince

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
Less of that stuff, more of things that were completely skipped over. The Deathday Party in Chamber of Secrets, the Quidditch World Cup in Goblet of Fire and the one that sticks in my craw the most: The rest of the flashbacks in Half-Blood Prince
Filler, filler and mostly filler since only like 2 or 3 of the flashbacks ended up being relevant to the plot. In fact, the movies did a pretty decent job of trimming the fat, with the exception of Deathly Hallows. And some of the filler stuff like Grawp, who ended up completely irrelevant to the plot, was kept in too.

William Tell Underpass

v=FOJnFwtKX3M
kiwifarms.net

To be fair, that kind of filler does serve a purpose, its supposed to make you feel like the year is progressing, rather than the characters are put into medical comas inbetween plot points. Kind speaks to my opinion of the main story that I like the filler more than the main story.

Also, Rons self esteem shit was pretty well written, probably should have just scrapped the rest of the story and renamed herself JK Austen.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, that kind of filler does serve a purpose, its supposed to make you feel like the year is progressing, rather than the characters are put into medical comas inbetween plot points. Kind speaks to my opinion of the main story that I like the filler more than the main story.

Also, Rons self esteem shit was pretty well written, probably should have just scrapped the rest of the story and renamed herself JK Austen.
I didn't notice it until semi-recently, but Ron's kind of a shit friend in the movies. He's angsty as hell in the books randomly too, but there's more time to flesh out as to why.

2021Murder

SEVP of Outreach for Trovo.live
kiwifarms.net
I didn't notice it until semi-recently, but Ron's kind of a shit friend in the movies. He's angsty as hell in the books randomly too, but there's more time to flesh out as to why.
Ron's good lines and ideas are also given to the girl in the movies. Ron is basically like your average tv show best friend like Kimmy Gibler, Vinnie from Doogie Howser, and Shawn from boy meets world.; hes headstrong, emotional, and causes problems for the main character, but thats also what makes him a great friend. the sort of guy that ends up in detention by sticking up for the main character. the wingman that always has a great joke or idea to brighten up the main character's life.

I bet a remake would sort of work. ASOUE's tv show was only made a decade after the films, but even the first season which was essentially a remake of the film was great because a lot of retcons and shit that was thought up after the films was put in where it made sense much earlier on instead. a great example is showing how all the guardians weren't just retards but were just pretending instead of just saying it in the last book.

HP could easily do the same thing. introduce the deadly hallows much earlier on like say during that ghost party in the first book. the entire murraders plot could play out during book 3 instead of constantly going back to it later on. the movies were already like 3 fucking hours. so a 10 episode series for each book (combining the first two short ones) and boom you got a 6 season series ready and waiting.

Plus by 2025 most of those HP fans are probably going to be having kids themselves so a new series would be nice. plus it could erase the bad taste those prequels left with people.

Also i think people would enjoy seeing the whole series without having a new director every other film, the 2nd, and 5th film look so goddamn different they barely look like they're in the same cinematic universe. the MCU isn't as diverse.

an animated one would be even better like everyone has said. because you could actually show the magic, the 2nd half of the films magic just became tracer rounds. it might as well have been an NRA school at that point.

William Tell Underpass

v=FOJnFwtKX3M
kiwifarms.net
Ron's good lines and ideas are also given to the girl in the movies. Ron is basically like your average tv show best friend like Kimmy Gibler, Vinnie from Doogie Howser, and Shawn from boy meets world.; hes headstrong, emotional, and causes problems for the main character, but thats also what makes him a great friend. the sort of guy that ends up in detention by sticking up for the main character. the wingman that always has a great joke or idea to brighten up the main character's life.

I bet a remake would sort of work. ASOUE's tv show was only made a decade after the films, but even the first season which was essentially a remake of the film was great because a lot of retcons and shit that was thought up after the films was put in where it made sense much earlier on instead. a great example is showing how all the guardians weren't just retards but were just pretending instead of just saying it in the last book.

HP could easily do the same thing. introduce the deadly hallows much earlier on like say during that ghost party in the first book. the entire murraders plot could play out during book 3 instead of constantly going back to it later on. the movies were already like 3 fucking hours. so a 10 episode series for each book (combining the first two short ones) and boom you got a 6 season series ready and waiting.

Plus by 2025 most of those HP fans are probably going to be having kids themselves so a new series would be nice. plus it could erase the bad taste those prequels left with people.

Also i think people would enjoy seeing the whole series without having a new director every other film, the 2nd, and 5th film look so goddamn different they barely look like they're in the same cinematic universe. the MCU isn't as diverse.

an animated one would be even better like everyone has said. because you could actually show the magic, the 2nd half of the films magic just became tracer rounds. it might as well have been an NRA school at that point.

The voice on this video makes me 70% sure this person has a thread, but its actually a pretty good (If overlong) synopsis of how Ron was almost deliberately mismanaged into just being a complete 3rd wheel.

I made this point in the JK Rowling megathread, the books transitioned from [a slight] world focus to character focused books, arguably starting in the 3rd book, with the transition complete in the 5th. (EG Tom Riddles diary was just a weird object that totally made sense to exist in the world)

After a point, there is no world building which isn't explicitly to drive character development and she just cannibalizes old ideas (EG I still don't know what was happening with the Deluminator in the 7th book, could you not just create get a new prop?)

The tricky part about stepping back from the Harry Potter character is that the world exists to drive his character development which is why I think the fantastic beasts books didn't taste right to a lot of people.

I think it is definitely possible to do right, but I would say the model to use would be be a SmallVille type approach, small villians, small victories, people being normal in their world.

Baroque

The pandemic has been a positive for whales
kiwifarms.net
Radcliff e: “To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you."
"...sexual dimorphism"

"AHHHHH the pain my God the pain please make it stop ahhhhhgg!!!!!"

Words = acid

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net

I don't mind it in the books, assuming it's kept to a sweet spot (which I think is somewhere between Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire, leaning more towards the former) but in a 2-hour movie, you don't have that luxury and it's not like the filler serves a purpose plot-wise.

Ron only really showed promise as a character in the first book when Rowling depicted his chess prowess but then he just got flanderized into Harry's less cooler friend who is almost constantly envious of Harry, likes food and has anger issues (and no, I'm not talking about the movies. That's book Ron too). Then Rowling tried to fix it by randomly making him prefect, Quidditch keeper, having a girlfriend, having him LEARN FUCKING PARSELTONGUE because Harry talks in his sleep or something, which didn't really fix the fundamental issues with his character.

But to be fair, that also kind of applies to Harry and Hermione too.