Has the internet gone soft? -

• DDoS is active again.

LolcowPrince

kiwifarms.net
I have noticed that in light of the the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of big tech censorship the internet seems much less for lack of a better word, edgy. Excluding places like this site that by design will always be that way, I have noticed an overall decline in the free speech edginess that permeated so much of 2016 for example. It's instead been replaced with this white-washed trend hopping culture that's inoffensive and yet at the same time completely retarded. Stuff like the whole tiktok trend. The banning of leafyishere really shows what I mean. It seems a couple mocha latte faggots in silicone valley and their army of brainwashed young slacktivists are causing a collective ball-snipping of everything that made the internet fun and interesting and putting into its place a mindless bombardment of 6 second attention hooks that mean nothing.

Or perhaps I'm overthinking it. What do you think, has the internet as a whole gone soft since say, 2016?

need shoeonhead nudes

kiwifarms.net
...I have noticed an overall decline in the free speech edginess that permeated so much of 2016 for example...
Or perhaps I'm overthinking it. What do you think, has the internet as a whole gone soft since say, 2016?
It was soft even back then, this video does a good job showing the feminine men being peddled like you mention, and it's from 2016.

Samir

EMERGENCY MEETING
kiwifarms.net
Absolutely. In my opinion, things started going downhill around 2013. 2016 is probably when the decline became overtly noticeable though. I'm not sure if it'll get worse, or how it could get worse from this point on.

Last edited:

Ged's Forth

Charlie Don’t Surf
kiwifarms.net
The damage had long been done by 2016
I always saw 2012 as the real breaking point into the modern era of the internet
I point to 2 years:
2008 - The year Facebook surpassed Myspace
2012/13 - Smartphone proliferation. Now everyone had a computer in their pocket that they could use anywhere, not just a home office or school or library.

Both events had a massive effect on the kind of person who used the internet, as well as the frequency of their use.

TurdFondler

kiwifarms.net
The internet as we remember it doesn't exist. The internet is just another facet of normie life, another screen with media to consoom. Normies have no idea what to even DO online, it all has to be spoon fed to them in an easy to digest slurry.

Instead of being a separate space online (perhaps even a...cyberspace??) Normies use the internet as an extension to their daily lives. They sign on with their real names and interact with their rl friends.

The normies that are terminally online have no idea about anything. Ask them about servers or proxies or ANYTHING and you'll get blank stares.

The switch to mainly video content is probably a good marker for When It Died. The average consoomer doesn't have the patience to read message boards but they will stare at moving pictures indefinitely.

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net
The internet as we remember it doesn't exist. The internet is just another facet of normie life, another screen with media to consoom. Normies have no idea what to even DO online, it all has to be spoon fed to them in an easy to digest slurry.

Instead of being a separate space online (perhaps even a...cyberspace??) Normies use the internet as an extension to their daily lives. They sign on with their real names and interact with their rl friends.

The normies that are terminally online have no idea about anything. Ask them about servers or proxies or ANYTHING and you'll get blank stares.

The switch to mainly video content is probably a good marker for When It Died. The average consoomer doesn't have the patience to read message boards but they will stare at moving pictures indefinitely.
Is this why comments sections tend to be considerably more politically incorrect than the videos they're posted on? It takes a different mentality to actually read and type on the Internet.

need shoeonhead nudes

kiwifarms.net
That's why I'm really glad I grew up in the mountains with a dial-up internet connection in my late teens. Video streaming was impossible, couldn't online game, or download lots of media. All I really did at the time was read message boards, PDFs, work on web design, and more creative stuff like roleplay writing in forums.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have noticed that in light of the the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of big tech censorship the internet seems much less for lack of a better word, edgy. Excluding places like this site that by design will always be that way, I have noticed an overall decline in the free speech edginess that permeated so much of 2016 for example. It's instead been replaced with this white-washed trend hopping culture that's inoffensive and yet at the same time completely retarded. Stuff like the whole tiktok trend. The banning of leafyishere really shows what I mean. It seems a couple mocha latte faggots in silicone valley and their army of brainwashed young slacktivists are causing a collective ball-snipping of everything that made the internet fun and interesting and putting into its place a mindless bombardment of 6 second attention hooks that mean nothing.

You're right, but also, goddamn are you late. Which rock have you been under? The 2012 internet was fucking ridiculously soft compared to the 2002 internet.

Nobody is allowed to joke about death anymore. If you make some joke where you use gallows humor, some braindead Singaporean dude who doesn't even vaguely understand your culture will be all over you in two seconds flat, whining about how insensitive you are and how he's coding a filter for people's web browsers that makes "awful, toxic people like you" disappear.

Everyone has balkanized off into their own little echo chambers where they only have to hear from people with like-minded views. Likes, retweets, and reblogs have gamified everything and turned the internet into a Skinner box for cheap dopamine hits instead of a place for enlightened discussion. People are conditioned to say what they know garners the most approval from their peers. Big Brother isn't the government. It's other people.

What was once a tool for exposing the Elite and their depravity through the lens of independent journalism has now turned into a massive hypnosis chamber for stupefying and misinforming the public, and it's full of these goddamn hypersensitive jack-offs who can turn on the crocodile tears for just about any transgression imaginable.