HBO is making a new Batman animated series - And who's involved in this you might ask? You guessed it, J.J. Abrams.

Fluoxetine Man

Bouncing dollars off Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
kiwifarms.net
Batman Beyond is the best animated Batman series fite me. None other are that schway
Based schway poster.
batman-beyond-e1563480323750.jpeg

Duncan Hills Coffee

Hates rehab so damn much
kiwifarms.net
The last thing I want is the King of the Mystery Boxes to be put in charge of detective stories.

For crime stories, I expect to have and ending and an answer, ala Sherlock Holmes, and JJ has shown he's not great with that.
To be fair, The Long Halloween didn't really end with a definitive answer to its mystery and it's regarded as one of the best Batman stories. It can work if it's done right, and I'd argue The Long Halloween thrives in its ambiguity.

Thing is, you have to make the story and characters really damn good to pull that off. The Long Halloween had a lot going for it such as the focus on the relationship between Batman, Harvey, and Gordon and Harvey's own descent into madness, so there's other stuff to chew on besides the mystery. Given the criticisms aimed at J.J., I don't think we can expect that kind of quality storytelling.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, The Long Halloween didn't really end with a definitive answer to its mystery and it's regarded as one of the best Batman stories. It can work if it's done right, and I'd argue The Long Halloween thrives in its ambiguity.

Thing is, you have to make the story and characters really damn good to pull that off. The Long Halloween had a lot going for it such as the focus on the relationship between Batman, Harvey, and Gordon and Harvey's own descent into madness, so there's other stuff to chew on besides the mystery. Given the criticisms aimed at J.J., I don't think we can expect that kind of quality storytelling.

I agree, The Long Halloween is one of the best Batman stories, and has been a personal favorite of mine for years.

But, as far as I know, The Long Halloween had planned that ending, and it worked because everything was building to it.

JJ is a "Set it up and then I'll figure it out as I go" kind of guy, and that's bit him in the butt with both Lost and Star Wars.

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
I dunno about you, but if I was in my forties, and had a billionaire alter ego, I'd have a bat booty-call burner phone somewhere and not banging the teenage daughter of the closest thing i can call a best friend.

That was Bruce Timm welcoming everyone to his magical realm and nothing more.
Batman Beyond is the best animated Batman series fite me. None other are that schway
One of many brilliant things about Batman Beyond, that rubbed a lot of viewers the wrong way, was having a Batman-Batgirl relationship happen offscreen, sometime between the present and the future. Dick Grayson and Barbara had an on-and-off thing and the fanfic-y thing would be to have them get together for good. Instead, she eventually left him for Bruce Wayne. Seemed altogether realistic to me:

* Barbara all but brags about having a torrid love affair with the Batman but is 100% over him and has moved on. She dismisses her relationship with Dick as "puppy love".
* Bruce is lonely and still pining away for the good 'ol days with her, among his other exes, but is fairly adversarial with her in person
* Dick is never seen and barely-mentioned in the future timeframe, but is apparently not on speaking terms with either of them. Barbara implies he's the most bitter of the old Bat family (and they're all bitter)

As for Timm magical-realming, I dunno. I haven't seen the animated Killing Joke but I haven't noticed age-gap relationships being a big thing for him. Cuckoldry (and cuck-adjacent topics) are all over his stuff, though, but handled less like your stereotypical soy fetish than a cheap source for drama and tragedy. His actual, for sure magical realm is Ivy/Harley.

Anyway, as for this new series, the time when you could count on Timm's name guaranteeing quality is done... the DC animated movies he's got his name stamped on are pretty uneven. Some of that's probably because he's acting in a senior-executive-advisor-story-idea-guy role to retards, some of it's probably because the DCAU was the product of a lot of other great creatives, Dini only being the most famous, and most are doing other stuff or dead or whatever. The monkey's paw eventually granted us some more DCAU and it didn't turn out well. That infamous Harley Quinn thing got roundly mocked but Justice League vs The Fatal Five was so lame that nobody even seems to realize it exists.

As for the new series, I have no predictions: it could be anything, even, as unlikely as it sounds, actually good, but you shouldn't get your hopes up. Timm's been more resistant to Current Year than most, but there's really no telling.

blablabla

kiwifarms.net
what the fuck is batman nowadays anyways
he got cucked by catwoman, harley quinn is dyke deadpool and there is a gimp batman who fuck kids or something retarted like that.
batman tas and the burtom movies were the highmark of the ip

make_it_so

Darmok & Jalad - LIVE at Tanagra, Sept. 30
kiwifarms.net
JJ has ruined Star Trek, Star Wars and now we get to add Batman to the list
He's still producing Blacked Superman.
It really is amazing when you consider how Star Trek was as much a behemoth as Star Wars. But those three movies demolished all the remaining good will and shat on its corpse.
Unfortunately, Star Trek was already mortally wounded due to the late stage mismanagement by Berman and Braga. JJ, having earned cred as someone who was able to "salvage" struggling franchises due to simply making a Mission Impossible movie that didn't suck, was able to worm his way in as the guy that could revive Trek.

JohnDoe

Which comes first, you or Halloween? Have a treat!
kiwifarms.net
JJ, having earned cred as someone who was able to "salvage" struggling franchises due to simply making a Mission Impossible movie that didn't suck, was able to worm his way in as the guy that could revive Trek.
Note that after the completely by luck decent performance of MI:III the direction, writing, etc have all been handled by other, more talented people. JJ persists only because he hooked his talons into the franchise and continues to parasitize it through Bad Robot.

He tried to do the same to Trek, but he dug too greedily, and too deep. Clashes with Paramount over merchandise rights and other IP issues stalled out the development of a sequel, and with no momentum and a shitty second film the 'revival' was doomed.

JJ has only succeeded by dumb luck, positioning, and nepotism. The only talent he has is exploiting other people's IPs for his own gain, ruining them in the process.

Mullti Port RDRAM

I know it won't last the season in a bulbform
kiwifarms.net
Well Bruce Timm is involved so maybe there's hope. It's not too late to get Paul Dini involved. This could be salvageable. I'm just glad I don't pay for HBO Max (yet, I get it free with my AT&T service).
I don't understand Lost was great. Why does everything else J.J have to touch have to be shit
Lost WAS great but I would argue it has aged like shit. It's not the event landmark television Breaking Bad became. JJ was also not fully involved, leaving that hack Damon Lindelof to stumble his way to an ending.