Careercow Heartmob - a lolcow event in progress.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Yellow Yam Scam

✞I praise the LORD, SAVIOR and KING Jesus Christ✞
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, let's discuss and examine this trainwreck:

Heartmob describes itself as:

WHAT: After 18 months of planning, collaborating, and creating working prototypes, Hollaback! is launching HeartMob, a platform that provides real-time support to individuals experiencing online harassment - and gives bystanders concrete actions they can take to step in and save the day.

HOW: HeartMob allows users to easily report their harassment and maintain complete control over their story. Once reported, users will have the option of keeping their report private and cataloguing it in case it escalates, or they can make the report public. If they choose to make it public, they will be able to choose from a menu of options on how they want bystanders to support them, take action, or intervene. They will also be given extensive resources including: safety planning, materials on how to differentiate an empty threat from a real threat, online harassment laws and details on how to report their harassment to authorities (if requested), and referrals to other organizations that can provide counseling and legal services.

Bystanders looking to provide support will receive public requests, along with chosen actions of support. You can “have someone’s back” and know that you’re helping them out in a time of need while directly contributing to safer spaces online. HeartMob staff will review all messages and reports to ensure the platform remains safe and supportive.

===

In other words, this looks to be the most naked and obvious "muh harassment" cashgrab yet. I guess it's gonna be a website where people can go to claim they've been harassed and others can pat them on the back? I guess? Anyways, people thought this was a good idea to the tune of a $20,989 kickstarter that just wrapped up two days ago, so I guess all we can really do is sit back and watch this stupidity go down.

The interesting bit is that you will be able to choose how bystanders "intervene" or "take action", so I guess that means you can tell other Heartmobbers to call the "harasser" a meanie or something? As far as I can tell, that's the only function of this website that, in theory, differs in anyway from a message board.

What does that even mean? What does any of this mean? Who the fuck knows but apparently people aren't interested in any of that and would rather just throw some money at them.

From the comments section:

upload_2015-5-17_3-5-45.png

upload_2015-5-17_3-4-33.png

How much money can Heartmob bilk out of morons in exchange for setting up a message board?

What will they do to stop people (i.e me) from submitting completely fictitious harassment complaints about my roommate in an attempt to flood her twitter with mentions when she plays her music too loud?

Will Heartmob get government-approved permission to override message board moderators?

Will there be a turfwar between Crashoverride, Zoe Quinn's "anti-harassment" collective and the Heartmobbers?

What the fuck are they actually trying to do other than post some .pdfs about not getting offended on twitter?

This one is gonna be a slow burn, but I predict hilarity.

Last edited:

Yellow Yam Scam

✞I praise the LORD, SAVIOR and KING Jesus Christ✞
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Heartmob has gotten a bit of press! Luckily for us, reading these articles should give some insight on the details of this program, yeah? No, not at all. They all just regurgitate what the Kickstarter says.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/21/heartmob-online-harassment-support_n_7109428.html
http://www.fastcompany.com/3046181/...-online-harassment-designed-by-people-who-hav

Fortunately, they do include some neat images of what I think are mock-ups of the sites design.

c.png a.png b.png

Looks uh, humiliating.

And thanks to support from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation -- your dollar will go over further. If we hit our goal of $10,000, Knight will kick in $2,500 if we get 250 backers, $5000 if we get 500 backers, and $10,000 if we get 1000 backers. Because each donation is so critical to the success of this campaign

I think it's very odd that the KS was for $10,000, yet they already had someone willing to drop $17,250 on it. Did this thing really "need" funding at all?

I'm more interested if the cows like Chloe/Ranni and ADF are gonna use this to make The Farms more famous.

I cannot wait for for the Ahuviya and Nick Bate's of the world to try to use this website. Exciting.

Last edited:

Save Goober

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is the point of this or anything like it? Like what are they actually going to do about "cyberbullying" which I'm so not convinced is really a problem. Yall mention nick bate and adf but aggressive people will certainly try to co opt these things.
Some people in the lolita community are doing something similar right now, and its causing a lot of drama for similar reasons. No purpose, it's stupid, and bullies join it.

Sallet Lad Jim

Sallet Dressing
kiwifarms.net
What are they going to do, cry at us? I mean seriously, what in the unholy name of fuck are they going to do? If there were actual laws about it, that'd be one thing, but they're trying to be supah kewl internet vigilantes over something easily solved by turning the fucking internet off.

Who knew people needed thousands of bucks to teach others how to press a big fucking red 'x' to close your damn browser.

WWWWolf

Has a camera, will kick butt
kiwifarms.net
First reaction: "Well, online harassment can be quite a big problem sometimes, there are people who could use hel----"
Second reaction, 2.3 seconds after opening the Kickstarter page: "...oh come on, this has all marks of a Kickstarter money grab."

I mean, I can't tell if it's a scam, it's just that there's been enough heart-strings-tugging scams in Kickstarter already and I've completely lost my ability to distinguish between legit projects and scams. I've donated to a few organisations, but I always go out and look at what they've done in the past and then donate. Kickstarter is all about diminishing the past and promoting the future - works for art projects but not for social organisations.

tl;dr: those who forget Kony 2012 are doomed to repeat it

Rick Springfield

kiwifarms.net
I mean, I can't tell if it's a scam, it's just that there's been enough heart-strings-tugging scams in Kickstarter already and I've completely lost my ability to distinguish between legit projects and scams. I've donated to a few organisations, but I always go out and look at what they've done in the past and then donate. Kickstarter is all about diminishing the past and promoting the future - works for art projects but not for social organisations.

tl;dr: those who forget Kony 2012 are doomed to repeat it
This. There have been a lot of scam Kickstarters, and even well-meaning but ill-advised ones. For instance, I know somebody who wants to try funding development of a piece of business software of limited use via Kickstarter. Ever since the potato salad guy, I think Kickstarter and the like have acquired a reputation as the Internet Free Money Machine.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So, let's discuss and examine this trainwreck:

It could just as easily be called Hatemob and be advertised to white power groups as a way to harass minorities online while "maintaining complete control of their narrative." Because it seems to be an app for enabling mob harassment, as shown by the very word "MOB" in the name.

X

XH 502

kiwifarms.net
My problem with stuff like this is that it tends to lump serious shit like SWATting, credible threats, identity theft, etc. in with everyday nonsense like mean Tweets or trolly comments.

Not only that, but this website is going to immediately become the very thing that they're trying to "fight": a angry internet mob intent on fucking up some random person's life.

On the most superficial level this sounds like a good idea, yet anyone with even a cursory knowledge of basic social protocol and internet culture will understand how it's doomed to glorious failure. If your online life is causing you that much distress you need to remove yourself from the harmful environment and go get real, face-to-face help and advice from friends, family, a fucking therapist.

I just, guys, this is so fucking stupid.

It could just as easily be called Hatemob and be advertised to white power groups as a way to harass minorities online while "maintaining complete control of their narrative." Because it seems to be an app for enabling mob harassment, as shown by the very word "MOB" in the name.

Mob harassment is acceptable when its victims are "bad people", shitlord.