Help I’m starting to watch anime -

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After today’s “harmless” prank I have started going down the anime rabbit hole... what should I do now? Is there any hope or am I doomed to become a weeb?

*Edit*
I’ve just purchased a katana and signed up for a Japanese language course. Oh god oh god what have I done?

Solution
Yes, that’s what I’m talking about. Maybe some fundie church can perform an exorcism on my budding inner weeb.
Well, there is another way. You can actually read up on Japanese culture and history rather than just watching their cartoons. That way you come across as a student of the culture to normies, and you'll be able to come across as a bearable person to be around at conventions.

We will always know what you truly are though. So will you.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
After today’s “harmless” prank I have started going down the anime rabbit hole... what should I do now? Is there any hope or am I doomed to become a weeb?

*Edit*
I’ve just purchased a katana and signed up for a Japanese language course. Oh god oh god what have I done?
Could be much worse, you could be into Steven Universe, MLP or any other american cartoon fandom, then you'd truly be an irrecuperable lost

Wouldn’t Evangelion be the father of modern anime? It started a bunch of stuff we associate with anime. References to Judaism, Christianity, and especially the occult, “magnificent bastard” villains with convoluted evil plans, mindfuckery, philosophical commentary. All of these things existed in anime before but it didn’t become common until NGE became a hit.
Evangelion was a huge tribute and "deconstruction" attempt at genres that already existed so it was more linked to older anime than to newer one. Its biggest influence for anime moving forward its probably the edgy angsty stuff and focus on the protagonist psicology rather than the fantasy elements, all that religious lore and giant robots were the central focus thing for sci fi mecha shows before but in Eva is just candy wrap, eva is just about an escapist bitchboy and his friends with issues, the fate of the world is backdrop. Many other shows tried to replicate that, same as rei and asuka becoming cemented archetypes.

Father of contemporary anime, as in the stuff you see today is probably K-on or lucky star, is all slice of life now, the big drama stuff is now how cute girls and fantasy characters do mundane and real world routine things . Eva could maybe be considered the grandfather to that.

Here's some more recommendations for you so I can orchestrate your transfromation into Weebhood:

Monster
JJBA
Welcome to the NHK
Gallery Fake
Texhnolyze
Mushishi
cowboy bebop
I would add Flcl, Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
Sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Since you've caught it early, you could try looking up Studio Ghibli - in particular, work by two dudes named Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Studio Ghibli looks like it might be some kind of fruity, Steven Universe bullshit at first, but Miyazaki and Takahata are actually based as fuck. Miyazaki famously hates weebs, and has written entire essays about how they ruined his industry and why he refuses to hire them. And Takahata wrote this one film, Grave of the Fireflies, about children trying to survive the American firebombing campaigns at the end of WW2. Many Westerners have interpreted it as a poignant anti-war film or some shit - but Takahata categorically denies this interpretation. According to him, the film was actually about how postwar young people are lazy and isolated (think: weebs), and how this isolation will lead to their deaths, both metaphorically and literally. Read some of their stuff; they're dedicated professionals who've lived their entire lives against the backdrop of anime, and thanks to them, a lifetime of hard-won wisdom is available online. Should give you some insight and perspective, help immunize you against the troubles ahead.

Good luck.

(p.s. also check out Highschool of the Dead. It's got zombies and chicks with big tits.)

Last edited:

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
Sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Since you've caught it early, you could try looking up Studio Ghibli - in particular, work by two dudes named Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Studio Ghibli looks like it might be some kind of fruity, Steven Universe bullshit at first, but Miyazaki and Takahata are actually based as fuck. Miyazaki famously hates weebs, and has written entire essays about how they ruined his industry and why he refuses to hire them. And Takahata wrote this one film, Grave of the Fireflies, about children trying to survive the American firebombing campaigns at the end of WW2. Many Westerners have interpreted it as a poignant anti-war film or some shit - but Takahata categorically denies this interpretation. According to him, the film was actually about how postwar young people are lazy and isolated (think: weebs), and how this isolation will lead to their deaths, both metaphorically and literally. Read some of their stuff; they're people who've lived their entire lives against the backdrop of anime, and thanks to them, a lifetime of hard-won wisdom is available online. Should give you some insight and perspective, help immunize you against the troubles ahead.

Good luck.

(p.s. also check out Highschool of the Dead. It's got zombies and chicks with big tits.)
Yes, this man is what I was pointing out in my earlier answer. A poignant, thoughtful response with great information and incredible recommendations that can't help but bring up the anime tiddies. Ladies and gentlemen, the perfect example of a weeb as a student of Japanese culture. This could be you!

Piranha Pleb

Plantposting since the Trashfire began
kiwifarms.net

*Edit*
watch mobile suit gundam for 80s retro-futurism kino

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Stop watching anime. Pick up the bible and PRAY.

AMEN
Does this count?
1617835746648.jpeg
1617835784776.jpeg

@Null see what your dumb April Fool joke did to this developing faggot
I shudder to think of the number of autists kiwis we lost to anime that day...

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
I literally just got off the nightshift and grabbed a six pack and watched this because of your recommendation...

I'd just like to sincerely say, fuck you.

I'm going to sleep.

I mean, good movie but Jesus christ man.
MC was a complete tard, so I guess it was good for making me hate him. But the story felt dumb, and not in a funny way.
Watch Zombie Land Saga, it's a lot of fun.
Second season just started too :)