Status
Not open for further replies.

Null

Ooperator
Patriarch
kiwifarms.net
TL;DR: A&H destroyed our SEO.

1576538611538.png

We experienced a huge growth this year and it died in September. We are now below impressions for this time last year. Threads I would expect to see on the first page of my favorite engine, 'Bing', are now on the 3rd.

1576538737952.png

I was dying to figure out what happened here to hurt the site. I thought it was the hack, but it was about 2 weeks after. I discovered it was this.

I introduced a copypasta rule for A&H and immediately after our general pagerank tanked and never stopped tanking. Someone showed me this:

Essentially, 'Bing' thinks we're artificially inflating our page value by posting articles. To improve the health of the site's on-topic prominence, I am removing all off-topic boards from it.

Some search engines have decided to ignore robots.txt in regards to what pages to index. If it can see a page, it will index it. The only way to really address this is to make all guests not able to see what I don't want them to.

If you are a guest who wants to view off-topic, for now, make an account. Use a protonmail email and register with Tor if you're paranoid.

I'll be monitoring this siduation closely.

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
I'll be monitoring this siduation closely.
HEY NULL, YOU MADE A SPELLING ERROR. YOU REMEMBER WHEN WE DIDN'T TELL YOU THE LAST TIME YOU MADE A SPELLING ERROR? WE'RE NOW MAKING SURE YOU KNOW YOU MADE A SPELLING ERROR. JUST SO YOU KNOW WE ACTUALLY DO LOVE YOU AND CARE WHEN YOU MAKE MISTAKES FOR THE QUALITY OF THE SITE AND ALL THAT. THEREFORE, YOU MADE A SPELLING ERROR. JUST FYI.

oh god i hope he didnt make that intentionally

Banditotron

Malfunctioning Autistic
kiwifarms.net
You A&H bastards made me log in for the first time in years. Now how am I gonna resist shitposting?

Edit: Although actually its probably a good call. Wanting to maintain SEO is an understandable concern, and I'd be lying if i said we needed more exceptional guests being tempted to make accounts to post in the knock-off /pol/ that is A&H.

JongleJingle

kiwifarms.net
Newfag here, decided to do my part after years of lurking. Gotta say Null, it was a wise choice to lock off-topic from folks that DON'T actually have an account here. Blocks off those asshats that might do the site harm AND forces insecure shitheads like me to grow a pair and join up.

Although I will say my choice was also influenced by being unable to view the salt in A&H. It's fucking addicting, send help please.

BONE_Buddy

Just imagine that there is a B-1B for the Avatar.
kiwifarms.net
Making me log in to get my fix? How Absolutely dare you sir!!!

All kidding aside, I am sure that you are making the right decision. Hopefully we can get a better fix in the future, but you are explaining well what must be done and why you are doing it. So I support the move for what little that is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None