Historical images - Images that made history

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1298561
Last time that Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai Shek met in Chongqing after victory over the Japanese. Talks lasted for 43 days, which eventually fell through and kickstarted the Civil War between the two again, ending with Mao's victory, the Chinese Communist Revolution and millions of deaths that followed afterwards.

To this day, I wonder what China would look like now had the man on the right won.
Taiwan, but bigger

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
To this day, I wonder what China would look like now had the man on the right won.
  • No 5 year plan that buttfucked China's economy into the dirt and lead to Germany and Japan becoming leading export nations instead of China.
  • A unified Korea.
  • No cultural revolution that set China culturally, socially and intellectually back to the stone age of which they still haven't fully recovered.
  • No Great Leap Forward.
  • No Vietcong and no Khmer Rouge.
  • No One-Child-Policy that irreparably damaged China's demographics.
  • The possibility of China being more or less an oversized Singapore.
  • The possibility of China's GDP overtaking the US' long ago by now.
One can only imagine...

Edit: Then again, China itself might not be unified as the Soviets could have kept Manchuria and Xinjiang as puppet states instead of returning them, so who knows?

Last edited:

Billy Budd

kiwifarms.net
What's the context for this one?
This is the Oka standoff in Quebec in 1990. Basically, some developers were trying to build a golf course on Mohawk land and the Mohawks took exception to it, got armed and civilly disobedient. Things devolved into the Provincial government needing to call in the Army. This photo was seen as a microcosm of the standoff and was widely published, won some awards. It was a huge event in Canada at the time.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
This is the Oka standoff in Quebec in 1990. Basically, some developers were trying to build a golf course on Mohawk land and the Mohawks took exception to it, got armed and civilly disobedient. Things devolved into the Provincial government needing to call in the Army. This photo was seen as a microcosm of the standoff and was widely published, won some awards. It was a huge event in Canada at the time.
Note that the Mohawk guy on the right is carrying a Norinco Type 81 and has a knife taped upside down to his ALICE suspenders like a Vietnam LRRP.

Picklechu

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1298561
Last time that Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai Shek met in Chongqing after victory over the Japanese. Talks lasted for 43 days, which eventually fell through and kickstarted the Civil War between the two again, ending with Mao's victory, the Chinese Communist Revolution and millions of deaths that followed afterwards.

Interestingly enough, if the KMT hadn't done so comparatively well before the Japanese invasion (and during through 1937), they likely would have been in a much stronger position compared to the fucking commies once hostilities resumed. (I've been reading a lot about the Chinese Civil War during quarantine. That and the history of the Soviet Union.)

I honestly wish that China would balkanize sometimes. *sigh*

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
^I imagine China would have been split apart with China proper, Manchuria, Mongolia, Uyghurstan, etc. if the Nationalists somehow won without impending threats from the Soviet Union, and Japanese intervention and support to the White Russians keeping communists at bay more effectively compared to every White Terror campaign they executed, putting them higher up on the high score than Hitler or Japan. The fuckers couldn't even control Formosa democratically until the 1980s.

Reactions: Picklechu

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
BOOM! FUCKING HEADSHOT! ON A MOUNTAIN!

Every once in a while doing construction 20 years later we'd hit a pocket of fucking ash under some dirt and POOF! Whole fucking site is covered in fucking bitter tasting ash.

Talk about a fucking awesome thing to witness.

7_-mount-st_-helens-aftermath-w-drawing.jpg

Thirteen hundred feet of solid fucking rock and an entire glacier vanished in literally a second.

12375977ca3bbf13f7eacde8eacf6d99.jpg

This is what it looked like from space.
POOF!
LOL Fuck you and your entire state!

gallery-nova-mtsthelens-8_tx700.jpg

Less than second from the blast. Spirit Lake fucking VANISHED under mud.

SS2385837.jpg

That used to be a forest. It's obviously after some time had gone by and the rainwater washed a lot of the loose dusty ash away.

The ash was EVERYWHERE. Rivers and stream ran black. Well water was stirred up. Drinking water for cities and towns nearby was SCREWED as the town filtration system clogged with ash. The National Guard in some places handed out plastic tard cum jugs full of water.

CFYj9KeUkAAee8u.jpg

It's a logging company bus, but... a LOT of schools were shut down for weeks. Cars and trucks died as people started them, sucked volcanic ash (called fines) lthrough the air filter, into the engine, and the engine just fucking seized up.

#### loc dil St Helens ash 3_t1170.jpg

They told you on TV not to start your car for the first couple of days. This is a LIGHT dusting of ash, probably a hundred miles away or so.

55579848e73e9.image.jpg

If this guy started that car, it was fucked.

11_900_598870738674771281511195595.094-696x630.jpg

Everything was screwed up.

Xyu9uK4.jpg

Towns didn't have power for almost a month in some places. Nice bridge, homie.

I-405 and I-5 and I-90 were FUCKED. Highway-12 was screwed up too.

956ac4d56efe55f54dcf2298c247810f.jpg

Dude obviously said screw it.

You used snow shovels to clear it. Being May, a lot of crops were destroyed by it. Going out and playing meant your chest started hurting after an hour or so, but it was 1980 so LOL Don't be such a pussy!

In some places they used snowplows to push it off the road driven by the National Guard.

In one split second...

gallery-nova-mtsthelens-8_tx700.jpg

RA-5C Vigilante

Alone, Unarmed, Unafraid.
kiwifarms.net
Group of Texas Rangers, 1906:

View attachment 622553
Fun fact: the taller man with the black hat is none other than Frank Hamer, one of the former Texas Rangers put on special duty that successfully hunted down and killed Bonnie and Clyde. This photo was taken after his first gunfight against a murderer named Frank Putnam, who was holed up and started firing at Rangers attempting to arrest him. Putnam had three weapons with him when he died: a .32 Winchester, a new Luger, which is held by John H. Rogers, Hamers commander and mentor, and a Colt .32 revolver, which Rogers gifted Hamer as a souvenir of his first gunfight.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
Fun fact: the taller man with the black hat is none other than Frank Hamer, one of the former Texas Rangers put on special duty that successfully hunted down and killed Bonnie and Clyde. This photo was taken after his first gunfight against a murderer named Frank Putnam, who was holed up and started firing at Rangers attempting to arrest him. Putnam had three weapons with him when he died: a .32 Winchester, a new Luger, which is held by John H. Rogers, Hamers commander and mentor, and a Colt .32 revolver, which Rogers gifted Hamer as a souvenir of his first gunfight.
My dad had a book called 'Guns and the Gunfighters' when I was a kid, they had a whole chapter on Frank Hamer and his guns, like his customized Remington Model 8 he carried when he ambushed Bonnie and Clyde.
FrankHamerModel8remington3.png

Those .35 Remington slugs really packed a punch:

b0547cbe790864a7973ce3300374b944.png

external-content.duckduckgo.png

Clyde Barrow posing with a Ford V8 decorated with some of his guns:

clyde barrow car.png

Pistols - Clockwise from top: A large S&W of some kind (Model 27 Registered Magnum?), a Colt Police Positive, and a Colt Single Action Army.
Long guns - left to right: .30-40 Krag carbine, sawed-off Browning Auto 5, sawed off Stevens 520 shotgun.

Doctor Placebo

Marvel's Superior 2D Aryan Superwoman
kiwifarms.net
Interestingly enough, if the KMT hadn't done so comparatively well before the Japanese invasion (and during through 1937), they likely would have been in a much stronger position compared to the fucking commies once hostilities resumed. (I've been reading a lot about the Chinese Civil War during quarantine. That and the history of the Soviet Union.)

I honestly wish that China would balkanize sometimes. *sigh*
How do you figure? You think the warlord cliques would have made it more difficult for the commies to take over if they were still around?

^I imagine China would have been split apart with China proper, Manchuria, Mongolia, Uyghurstan, etc. if the Nationalists somehow won without impending threats from the Soviet Union, and Japanese intervention and support to the White Russians keeping communists at bay more effectively compared to every White Terror campaign they executed, putting them higher up on the high score than Hitler or Japan. The fuckers couldn't even control Formosa democratically until the 1980s.
I mean, the Red Chinese already got a significantly higher high score than Hitler or Japan. People just don't talk about it nearly as much.

Tags
None