Historical images - Images that made history

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
FgSQXwnU0GElnZ3SNgHOiA455ilibG46H2-oouPW1RQj2lTfOyphXwLqfLaPWpkxuUP0v08Sx1Maa8bvGyaDCQ.gif

Katyusha Rockets, 1944.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
Italian WWI pontoon monitor Monte Sabotino, formerly the Austro-Hungarian harbor dredging lighter Tina, after reconstruction in 1918. The ship, which in total displaced just 570 tons, was rebuilt to carry an 84-ton 381 mm 40 caliber cannon originally intended to arm a Francesco Caracciolo-class superdreadnought. A 350-hp Tosi diesel engine allowed it to (barely) move under its own power at 6 knots.

1594605231971.png

RA-5C Vigilante

OH GOD IM BURNING
kiwifarms.net
Italian WWI pontoon monitor Monte Sabotino, formerly the Austro-Hungarian harbor dredging lighter Tina, after reconstruction in 1918. The ship, which in total displaced just 570 tons, was rebuilt to carry an 84-ton 381 mm 40 caliber cannon originally intended to arm a Francesco Caracciolo-class superdreadnought. A 350-hp Tosi diesel engine allowed it to (barely) move under its own power at 6 knots.

View attachment 1444426
"Giuseppe, I really question this entire concept, I mean half the boat is taken up by a cannon and-"
"BLOW ME LUIGI WE'RE GOING AFTER THE CROATS"

Exterminatus

I am His final judgment
kiwifarms.net
Today marks V-J Day wherein the United States achieved unconditional surrender from the Empire of Japan and formally bringing World War 2 to an end.

One of the most famous images from V-J Day.

General Douglas MacArthur aboard the USS Missouri formally signing and accepting Japan's unconditional surrender.

Japanese foreign minister Mamoru Shingemitsu signing the documents of surrender on behalf of the government of the Empire of Japan, also aboard the USS Missouri.

And this is the flag flown on the ship commanded by Commodore Matthew C. Perry during his expeditions to Japan in 1852 and 1854, it was effectively the beginning of relations between Japan and the United States while also threatening to kick their asses if Japan didn't formally begin a trade relationship with the US in what became known as "gunship diplomacy". The flag was chosen to be displayed aboard the USS Missouri during the official surrender of Japan in 1945, likely to rub their noses in it a little after 4 years of fierce conflict with the island nation.

TowinKarz

You have 15 minutes to move your cube...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interesting sidenote: the table used for the ceremony was actually just a standard cafeteria table from the mess hall.

The British had provided MacArthur a mahogany table for the occasion, but, at the last second when they set out the surrender documents, their oversized nature meant they wouldn't fit it. So they had to go find a table large enough, in a hurry, and that was the only one they could scrounge up, a decorative tablecloth from the Officers' mess was thrown over it to hide the fact it was an enlisted mans' table (dinged up and having names carved on the top in moments of boredom), so as not to offend the seriousness of the situation.

After the proceedings, it was taken back to the mess before anyone even thought that it should be preserved as it now was a historical artifact, so they rushed back to grab it and apparently annoyed a few sailors just sitting down for breakfast by taking "their" table... I forget who has it now, but it is part of a museum collection.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Interesting sidenote: the table used for the ceremony was actually just a standard cafeteria table from the mess hall.

The British had provided MacArthur a mahogany table for the occasion, but, at the last second when they set out the surrender documents, their oversized nature meant they wouldn't fit it. So they had to go find a table large enough, in a hurry, and that was the only one they could scrounge up, a decorative tablecloth from the Officers' mess was thrown over it to hide the fact it was an enlisted mans' table (dinged up and having names carved on the top in moments of boredom), so as not to offend the seriousness of the situation.

After the proceedings, it was taken back to the mess before anyone even thought that it should be preserved as it now was a historical artifact, so they rushed back to grab it and apparently annoyed a few sailors just sitting down for breakfast by taking "their" table... I forget who has it now, but it is part of a museum collection.
Given how much the average Marine hated the Japanese, I doubt if anyone of them would complain about this.

Allegory

kiwifarms.net

Monika H.

Digging 'cause all good boys are dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1200px-Mansudae_Grand_Monument_18.JPG

A now censored picture of the Mansu Hill Grand Monument in 2012.
Kim Jong-Il had been wrongly portrayed with a business coat instead of his signature parka, and North Korean authorities rushed to cover the mistake. Rumor has it that the people who committed the mistake got executed.

640px-Mansudae-Monument-Bow-2014.jpg

Exterminatus

I am His final judgment
kiwifarms.net
xutV9Wo.jpg

The last known photo to exist of President Abraham Lincoln as he laid in his coffin in Springfield, Illinois and his body was guarded by the two military officers there. It was believed that all photos taken of the funeral were destroyed under orders from Secretary of War Edward M. Stanton, this photo was sent to Stanton but for some reason he kept the image and it was preserved by his son after his father's death. It was discovered in 1952 in Springfield among some letters.

It was said that Lincoln was so well embalmed that when his body was exhumed in 1901 that he still looked completely recognizable and it was almost haunting to see him, you could see the slight bruising around his head where he'd been shot. The last man to see Lincoln's body passed away in 1963 at the age of 75, he was 13 when Lincoln was exhumed and reburied for the final time.

Edit: Put up a slightly different version, I thought this one looked a bit better and a little more cleaned up.

Attachments

• K3FY473A5JFXVCDXB4QBECF6K4.jpg
    K3FY473A5JFXVCDXB4QBECF6K4.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

The Cat From Outer Space

join space force
kiwifarms.net
1601936877115.png

Palazzo Braschi on 1934 in Rome, Italy. Headquarters for the Fascist Party.

"Si" means "yes" in Italian. This is referring to the 1934 general election which was a yes-no vote. The election would approve or reject a single-party list, which was composed of only members from the Fascist Party, to take up the entire Chamber of Deputies. The election result was 99.84% voting for yes. This would only be the second and last election held under Fascist Rule. In 1939, the Chamber of Deputies was replaced by the Chamber of Fasces and Corporations, whose members were all appointed by the Fascist Party.

Tags
None