Historical Trolls -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Ravenor

Purge.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How about Chris Morris? He was notorious in the UK for getting celebrities on film saying stupid shit for comedy tottaly seriously with his show Brass Eye styled like a UK news show, he still got every one from the Nations leading Crisp salesman to serious politicians on the show with seriously insane stuff and they bought it hook line an sinker.

Edited it to remove a video link.

Last edited:

Rin

Needlessly Bitchy Pigtails Girl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Socrates. The Socratic method is supposedly about teaching, but anyone who's read the Dialogues can tell you that what Socrates actually did was ask people seemingly innocent questions about their positions that forced them to contradict themselves and therefore look stupid. The thought of what Socrates could do to an incel or SJW is nothing short of beautiful. Even when he was on trial, Socrates refused to back down; he told the court that an appropriate sentence for his crimes would be free meals for the rest of his life, and pointed out that if they fined him, his wealthy friends would pay it for him. Unfortunately, Socrates trolled a little too well, and ended up getting sentenced to death. Even this may have been a :ruse: - when his friends tried to help him escape from prison, he rejected the offer, preferring to face death and thus become a martyr for his beliefs.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Socrates. The Socratic method is supposedly about teaching, but anyone who's read the Dialogues can tell you that what Socrates actually did was ask people seemingly innocent questions about their positions that forced them to contradict themselves and therefore look stupid.

The point isn't to make you look stupid. That's just something that usually happens.

The point is to cause you to question your underlying assumptions, and to take them to their natural conclusions, to find that they inevitably lead to contradictions. This forces you to reevaluate your underlying assumptions or at least realize that while they may still be generally valid, actual reality is more complex and requires exceptions or other accommodations.

The user of the Socratic method does not profess to have any special knowledge and may explicitly disclaim it, as Socrates did. However, the target of the method, at least among the Dialogues, written after Socrates by his worshippers to make him look good, usually does, and ends up worse for the treatment.

However, the challenge of the method teaches more than a lesson from on high. It teaches you to think critically, not just about the subject of the "lesson," but about the very method through which you reach your conclusions. This is why, as The Paper Chase portrayed it, it is often used to "teach you to think like a lawyer."

Most professors don't actually do this any more to the degree of a Kingsfield, perhaps because it's actually as difficult for the teacher as the student.

Also, perhaps, a lot of people these days are afraid of being mentally challenged, especially by someone who they aren't going to "win" against anyway. It's sort of like a dojo where sensei picks someone out of the class and kicks their ass every day.

Zeorus

voilà la guimbarde
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just remembered this the other day - music history troll! Hector Berlioz scared the shit out of his audiences with his 1830 Symphonie fantastique. His method: the final movement ("Dream of the Night of the Sabbath") depicts a witches' sabbath. To evoke Satanic imagery, he used the Dies Irae (part of a Catholic Requiem Mass) as a musical theme. Audiences freaked as that music was only heard at funerals back then.

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
John Albert Taylor, a Utah murderer and rapist sentenced to death in 1989. Of the two methods available, he chose the firing squad specifically to embarass the state.

His troll status may be debatable, considering he eventually got his sentence in '96, but shortly thereafter, Utah legislators introduced legislation to take away the squad. (It's apparently still available as a choice, so...historical ween?)

Last edited:

Foltest

Land ska med lag byggas
kiwifarms.net
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Licinius_Crassus
Crassus is one of the richest man through all time, but that didn't stop him from being a bigass troll. He started one of the first fire brigade and here it becomes funny. When he come to a fire, he haggled with the owner for a time so that he would be able to buy the place for a fractions of its price. By doing this, he earned a shitload of money.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Let's not forget "A Modest Proposal", a satirical piece that suggest that the struggling Irish sell their children as food to rich people to ease their burden.

In a way, I think Hideo Kojima is one. That the main reason he made Quiet's outfit and squeezeable boobs figurine, replaced Snake with Raiden right away in part 2 and makes twitter posts about how his morning eggs looks like bouncing boobs if you jiggle the plate is just to piss off everyone.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
In a way, I think Hideo Kojima is one. That the main reason he made Quiet's outfit and squeezeable boobs figurine, replaced Snake with Raiden right away in part 2 and makes twitter posts about how his morning eggs looks like bouncing boobs if you jiggle the plate is just to piss off everyone.

It doesn't piss off everyone, though. It just pisses off SJWs. I think he may want to piss them off since they've made a lot of stupid noises in his direction.

Avocado

i love to improvise
kiwifarms.net
Marcel Duchamp and the Dada/"anti-art" movement in general.

Dada as an art movement favored things like anti-logic, nonsense, shock value, and anti-bourgeoisie capitalist post-WWI society. Basically, slap together some crude shit that makes no fucking sense, call it 'art', and watch the art snobs get butthurt. According to Wikipedia, a reviewer from the American Art News stated at the time that "Dada philosophy is the sickest, most paralyzing and most destructive thing that has ever originated from the brain of man." So obviously some people were a little bit salty about this. Hitler was also not fond of this movement.

Duchamp himself is best known for his "readymade" works, in which he would take random found objects, sign them, and declare them 'art'. The best known of these was Fountain, a urinal turned on its side that he signed under the name "R. Mutt" and anonymously entered into an exhibition that claimed it would accept any work from anyone who paid a fee. The directors of the Society refused to display it in the exhibition, the general consensus being that it was not art and instead an affront to art itself.

In 2004 Fountain was named the most influential work of art of the 20th century.

waffle

kiwifarms.net
He and Thomas Jefferson also spoke passable French (to put it charitably), while Adams put a lot of effort into his French. Despite this, Jefferson and Franklin were wildly popular among the French while Adams was considered a bore (which he was). Adams was bitter and resentful about this.
You don't need to speak good french to be entertaining when you can drink a quart of brandy and smoke a brick of hash every night. Adams was pretty much just jelly he didn't know how to party.

Abethedemon

Trve and Honest
kiwifarms.net
Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan counts. He tried starting a religion to freak out all of the members of the religious right. One could say Crowley was a bit of a troll as well, he claimed to be pen-pals with Hitler.

MarineTrainedTard

kiwifarms.net
Another great Ben Franklin troll I learned about in a typography class:

So there's a font called "Baskerville" which was invented by a man named... well, John Baskerville. Baskerville made typesets for printing presses, I think, and IIRC he was considered a weirdo cuz he was an agnostic and lived with his girlfriend before they were married (if they ever married), which at the time was considered ridiculously scandalous. Everyone would constantly shit on his fonts as being garbage and bad and yadda yadda.

But one of Baskerville's good friends was Benjamin Franklin, and at some point Franklin started showing people a font and saying it was by John Baskerville. Everyone trashed it and then after a while Franklin revealed that not only was the font not created by Baskerville, but was actually a relatively common, popular, and generally well-liked font.

BullDogsLipBrandClamjuice

Countess Von F1ngerb4ng
kiwifarms.net
Greetings from the future, the world's just fine..
German artist Marcel Duchamp's Fountain from 1917.

1613785351596.png

While Europe destroyed it self, he passed off a signed Urinal as art. "It's art because he said it's art " was how it was explained to me. Which was quite an idea back then, now the idea runs rampant, Like that dude who made millions off the idea of a banana taped to a wall.

Syaoran Li

Coal Miner's Grandson
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some of these have already been mentioned but here's a list of some off the top of my head.

Andy Warhol
Huey Long
Mark Twain
Ben Franklin
Diogenes
Oda Nobunaga
Crassus
Jonathan Swift
Juvenal
Aristophanes
Niccolo Machiavelli
The Marquis De Sade
William Shakespeare
GG Allin
Frank Zappa
Dee Snider
Bill Hicks
Hideaki Anno
Larry Flynt
Hideo Kojima
Captain Midnight
Andy Kaufman

Granted, some of them like De Sade, GG Allin, Diogenes, and Kojima are in that weird category of being simultaneously brilliant master trolls and colossal lolcows.

Last edited: