Hoarders (and other fun documentary TV shows)

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Re: Hoarding Hoarders and the Hoarders Who Hoarded Them

Mourning Dove said:
Dr. Cuddlebug said:
[youtube]5Xswdor-ZnU[/youtube]
'Nuff said

I have a bad habit of watching Hoarders episodes while I'm eating dinner. While many of the episodes disgust me, I distinctly remember this as the only one that made me close to vomiting.
Then I'm not the only one who had the feeling to vomit. Kinda makes me wonder if Barb might live like that regarding the bucket.

Grand Number of Pounds

Sonichu fan
kiwifarms.net

Yeah, that was pretty nasty. I get that these people have mental problems, but when your house is so messy and the toilet isn't working, wouldn't you call someone to fix your problem for you?

Also:

Surtur said:
You can disagree with religious practices and the actions of individuals, however lumping people into one stereotype is narrowminded, and calling them "delusional" for not sharing your particular set of beliefs is wrong.

Thanks for this, Surtur. Everyone should remember this when discussing religion - whether on this site, or IRL.

Shadow Fox

Internet Professional
kiwifarms.net

At work so I can't look up YouTube clips, but Hanna from Illinois was a real gem. IIRC she had about ten kids, of whom six survived to adulthood, and she physically abused them growing up. She hoarded goats, ducks, chickens and other farm animals on her property, cramming birds into cages factory-farm style, never cleaning the cages so the birds had to live on top of a steadily-growing pile of their own feces and their dead cagemates. Flipped her shit at being told that her ducks and geese should be allowed an open pen because they would fly away and she'd never see them again. Some of her kids showed up and started screaming at and assaulting each other and the show's cameramen.

In the same episode was Gary, a manbaby whose hoarded bunnies* destroyed the home he rented with his wife. Gary refused to interact with the Hoarders crew like an adult, and instead hid in a back room blaring music and giving the camera the finger whenever they requested his cooperation. He would emerge for a minute or two sometimes to rant and rave about how animal control were being big meanieheads to him, and then he'd tardrage and retreat back to his cave. He made a big sign declaring how mean and unfair the animal control officers were being and posted it on the front door of his house. And by "made" I mean he told his wife to do it while he supervised and told her just how big and angry to make the letters.

*He always, always called them "bunnies". Never rabbits. Grown-ass fortysomething man saying bunnies over and over creeped me out.

I don't normally hope for bad things to happen to the people on this show, but Gary and Hannah, I wouldn't have shed any tears if I'd heard they'd dropped dead from sudden brain aneurisms or the like.

sparklemilhouse

America Online for Dummies™
kiwifarms.net

Francis E. Dec said:
Dr. Cuddlebug said:
'Nuff said

Wasn't that the episode where the concentrated urine ate through the floor of the house like xenomorph blood?

I like the one with the 9/11 obsessed lady who screamed like Lemongrab because the crew was going to throw away her Darth Vader Mr. Potato Head.

Yeah yeah yeah! She claimed she had some third cousin or whatever that died at the wtc, I don't even think she ever met him. She had a glass wtc in her living room that one of the crew "accidentally" broke.

Oh geez, Gary. I think the psychologist told his wife that she was in an absuive relationship, and she was just like "yeah, I know."

random_pickle

kiwifarms.net

God damnit, and here I thought that the internet had prepared me for any form of abomination. I think I'm going to be sick. :'(

Shadow Fox

Internet Professional
kiwifarms.net

"MY 9/11!" became a catchphrase on Something Awful's Hoarders thread after that episode aired. I know it's the illness making the hoarders act like they do, I know they can't really help it, but her complete meltdown over that WTC statue getting damaged just made me go whoa. She was kind of an asshole toward her family, too, while they were trying to help, calling her husband "dumbass" and such.

And the cockroach lady episode mentioned in the OP made me so angry on behalf of that woman's daughter. I hope that poor kid graduated highschool and moved away from home and never looked back. Her mom was such a selfish neglectful shit. What baffled me is why the dad didn't do anything to remove his kids from that situation. I mean - was he trying to maintain a good relationship with his ex-wife or something? Why would you want a relationship with someone like that? Did he think CFS would take one look at that filthy, infested house and let the mom keep custody of the kids? He might have felt bad that his kids had to live in a literal garbage heap, but I don't have much sympathy for him when all he probably had to do to get them out was make a couple phone calls to social services.

Dork Of Ages

Get out of my sight, inferior!
kiwifarms.net

I don't mind if people are simply destroying their own lifes and not others, but there are sadly hoarders that want to drag their family, friends and other innocent people to their delusion hole.

Bugaboo

What the hap is fuckening
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Shadow Fox said:
At work so I can't look up YouTube clips, but Hanna from Illinois was a real gem. IIRC she had about ten kids, of whom six survived to adulthood, and she physically abused them growing up. She hoarded goats, ducks, chickens and other farm animals on her property, cramming birds into cages factory-farm style, never cleaning the cages so the birds had to live on top of a steadily-growing pile of their own feces and their dead cagemates. Flipped her shit at being told that her ducks and geese should be allowed an open pen because they would fly away and she'd never see them again. Some of her kids showed up and started screaming at and assaulting each other and the show's cameramen.

In the same episode was Gary, a manbaby whose hoarded bunnies* destroyed the home he rented with his wife. Gary refused to interact with the Hoarders crew like an adult, and instead hid in a back room blaring music and giving the camera the finger whenever they requested his cooperation. He would emerge for a minute or two sometimes to rant and rave about how animal control were being big meanieheads to him, and then he'd tardrage and retreat back to his cave. He made a big sign declaring how mean and unfair the animal control officers were being and posted it on the front door of his house. And by "made" I mean he told his wife to do it while he supervised and told her just how big and angry to make the letters.

*He always, always called them "bunnies". Never rabbits. Grown-ass fortysomething man saying bunnies over and over creeped me out.

I don't normally hope for bad things to happen to the people on this show, but Gary and Hannah, I wouldn't have shed any tears if I'd heard they'd dropped dead from sudden brain aneurisms or the like.
Oh man, I love that one!
She was such a crazy chick and the therapist told her ducks and geese need water to swim in and she said "NO CAUSE THEY'RE GONNA LAY THEYIR EGGS IN THER!!!" Like ducks and geese are actually that fucking stupid. Also she was fat and had a sort of waddle that made she sound slightly like a chicken when she was angry.
And she was abusive to all her children and now her children are dysfunctional, and she's dysfunctional. The only family that isn't dysfunctional that are in contact with her are the goat's family.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net

Moving to The Room.

Hoarders (and MSNBC's Lockup) are the only TV shows I really love.

R

RP 520

kiwifarms.net
Oh man, the Gary and Hannah episode, Hannah made me want to travel to Illinois and bludgeon her with one of her dead chickens. :alog: Her and all of her kids were the physical embodiment of the term dysfunction. I don't even know how any of them were alive at that point.

Gary was Chris...with Rabbits.

Mourning Dove

Zenaida macroura
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh man, the Gary and Hanna episode made my blood pressure go up so much... :twisted:

KatsuKitty

Stone-Cold Bitch
kiwifarms.net
i love these shows. I posted this clip in mChat after laughing my ass off upon seeing it. This lady says she needs to go into her car to scream because she's so STRESSED, and the mic was still on so you can hear her going AAAAGGGGGHHH. They edited out a lot of it in this clip, it's a lot longer (and funnier) on TV. Skip to the last :30 for the good part.

[youtube]RCgXzHlrlbk[/youtube]

SodomyRocket

kiwifarms.net

Surtur said:
Spatchmo said:
Not to get too far off track in discussing people that practice Wicca, but I do have to make the observation that literally everyone I know in real life or have heard about that believes they have magical powers is terribly obese and is a terrible housekeeper (see also Christian Weston Chandler). It's like, use some of that magic to cure your disabilities, lose some weight, and make some money...

SodomyRocket said:
You know thinking you have magic powers, lacking empathy, and delusion are also mental illnesses ? Why the double standard on what you think you can ridicule?

Ok, stahp. You can disagree with religious practices and the actions of individuals, however lumping people into one stereotype is narrowminded, and calling them "delusional" for not sharing your particular set of beliefs is wrong. I have met plenty of Wiccans, Druids, Heathens, LHP'rs and all many of "pagan" folk and they come in all shapes and sizes and in all manner of cleanliness. We have a religiously diverse community and that includes a few Wiccans, Thelemites and some Asatruar like myself, and I assure you I am neither obese or unable to keep my space clean.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about. Chris and the woman in OP's video have symptoms of a Psychotic Disorder. There is a pretty big difference in having a polytheistic religion and thinking you can kill people via lightning or curse ya ha me ha them.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for moving this to The Room, I think that's a better place for this discussion. Also sorry about that last post, it's just an issue I'm kind of sensitive about since I have mental illness (depression and anxiety) and so do many people close to me (LOTS of bipolar for some reason). Carry on.

That said, anyone have a link to the Gary and Hanna episode? Those two sound like pretty awful people.

Also, I kind of wonder if the woman in the OP had a bit of narcissistic personality disorder as well due to her complete inability to take responsibility for her actions and constant blaming of them on others. And NPDs are people I personally have little sympathy for because unlike with other mental illness, they have a tendency to hurt other people, know they hurt other people, and not feel a single bit of guilt or remorse for it.

Spatchmo

kiwifarms.net
I saw this recently, which isn't from a show:
[youtube]aTXP_m8DuMg[/youtube]
It's kind of interesting to hear from a landlord's perspective. He sounds way more upbeat and forgiving about it than I think I would be. Hopefully his insurance covers some or all of this.

Springblossom

Dungeon Crawlaholic
kiwifarms.net
Spatchmo said:
It's kind of interesting to hear from a landlord's perspective. He sounds way more upbeat and forgiving about it than I think I would be. Hopefully his insurance covers some or all of this.

Wouldn't that total the house? I feel like that would be a massive health hazard unless you tore out all the drywall and flooring, fumigated everything, and rebuilt.

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Spatchmo said:
I saw this recently, which isn't from a show:
[youtube]aTXP_m8DuMg[/youtube]
The moment he stepped in that bathroom made me want to yell "GET OUT OF THERE!" I honestly feel he should of wear a HAZMAT suit and have a detox chemical shower outside.

Spatchmo

kiwifarms.net
Springblossom said:
Spatchmo said:

Wouldn't that total the house? I feel like that would be a massive health hazard unless you tore out all the drywall and flooring, fumigated everything, and rebuilt.
I think it depends? They save the house at the end of the episode that I linked in the original post, so I would think they could save almost any house. Though really, it just seems at a certain point it would probably be more cost effective to just tear down and rebuild.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, the only episodes I've seen where the houses were unsavable were ones where they had significant structural damage (i.e. broken support beams). Like I remember one case where they had to stop in the middle of cleanup after they discovered the support beams were broken in the basement because it put the lives of everyone at risk being down there. It was kinda sad to, since the hoarder didn't seem like a bad guy and he just lost his home instead of getting it cleaned out :/

Biohazards like shit everywhere and even dead things can be dealt with with proper equipment and supplies. Unfortunately, a HAZMAT suit can't do shit to protect you if the house collapses on you.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net

Dr. Cuddlebug said:
'Nuff said

"No. No no no no no no no no" was the only reaction from me (aside from sickened looks) throughout that entire clip.

Just who in the right mind would want to live in that?