Hoarders (and other fun documentary TV shows)

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Re: Hoarding Hoarders and the Hoarders Who Hoarded Them

SodomyRocket said:
Surtur said:
Spatchmo said:
Not to get too far off track in discussing people that practice Wicca, but I do have to make the observation that literally everyone I know in real life or have heard about that believes they have magical powers is terribly obese and is a terrible housekeeper (see also Christian Weston Chandler). It's like, use some of that magic to cure your disabilities, lose some weight, and make some money...

SodomyRocket said:
You know thinking you have magic powers, lacking empathy, and delusion are also mental illnesses ? Why the double standard on what you think you can ridicule?

Ok, stahp. You can disagree with religious practices and the actions of individuals, however lumping people into one stereotype is narrowminded, and calling them "delusional" for not sharing your particular set of beliefs is wrong. I have met plenty of Wiccans, Druids, Heathens, LHP'rs and all many of "pagan" folk and they come in all shapes and sizes and in all manner of cleanliness. We have a religiously diverse community and that includes a few Wiccans, Thelemites and some Asatruar like myself, and I assure you I am neither obese or unable to keep my space clean.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about. Chris and the woman in OP's video have symptoms of a Psychotic Disorder. There is a pretty big difference in having a polytheistic religion and thinking you can kill people via lightning or curse ya ha me ha them.

Fair enough. Neither of those fall in with mainline Wicca anyways.

CalmMyTits

Has tentacles in her panties!
kiwifarms.net
Shadow Fox said:
At work so I can't look up YouTube clips, but Hanna from Illinois was a real gem. IIRC she had about ten kids, of whom six survived to adulthood, and she physically abused them growing up. She hoarded goats, ducks, chickens and other farm animals on her property, cramming birds into cages factory-farm style, never cleaning the cages so the birds had to live on top of a steadily-growing pile of their own feces and their dead cagemates. Flipped her shit at being told that her ducks and geese should be allowed an open pen because they would fly away and she'd never see them again. Some of her kids showed up and started screaming at and assaulting each other and the show's cameramen.

In the same episode was Gary, a manbaby whose hoarded bunnies* destroyed the home he rented with his wife. Gary refused to interact with the Hoarders crew like an adult, and instead hid in a back room blaring music and giving the camera the finger whenever they requested his cooperation. He would emerge for a minute or two sometimes to rant and rave about how animal control were being big meanieheads to him, and then he'd tardrage and retreat back to his cave. He made a big sign declaring how mean and unfair the animal control officers were being and posted it on the front door of his house. And by "made" I mean he told his wife to do it while he supervised and told her just how big and angry to make the letters.

*He always, always called them "bunnies". Never rabbits. Grown-ass fortysomething man saying bunnies over and over creeped me out.

I don't normally hope for bad things to happen to the people on this show, but Gary and Hannah, I wouldn't have shed any tears if I'd heard they'd dropped dead from sudden brain aneurisms or the like.

I remember this episode, and it made me so angry because of how the animals were being mistreated. I'm watching the Hanna part and I am thinking to myself, how the flying fuck do you justify how you treat these animals??? I was hoping she would keel over from a heart attack just so these animals could be seized and freed, and I was heartbroken when that one bird, I think a chicken, died in someone else's arms. As for Gary, did he not understand that the house was NOT his to do with as he pleased? He reminded me of Chris, thinking that it was okay for him to treat someone else's property the way he wanted.

There was also one episode where this old, retired woman started wearing diapers when her water was turned off. She didn't use a bucket. She didn't dig a hole in the yard. She chose to wear fucking adult diapers instead of making another place to relieve herself, like a sane person would who didn't have a working toilet. She then hoarded her old diapers in garbage bags and kept them in the bathroom (because where else was she gonna keep it, hur hur) and by the time the cleanup crew started cleaning her house the bags leaked and the urine ate through the floor, weakening it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Knife

Magnificent Witch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glen, the guy who was run out of his house by his thousands of pet rats, was always the saddest episode of Hoarders. Most of the people on Hoarders were so emotionally blunted, but Glen was so sad and sweet and legitimately seeking help, even while he was wondering what would happen to his rats. He'd started hoarding after his girlfriend died tragically and he would still burst into tears whenever he tried to talk about her. I seriously hope he got his life together after that.

Back in the second season there was Augustine, a fucking horrible woman. I think this was also the episode where I learned to predict just from looking whether or not they were going to find a dead cat in there. But her two adult kids came to help with the clean-up, and Jesus, her son. He'd walk around describing things in this clinical, dead, detached voice. You could literally see him emotionally shutting down to protect himself from this, and you gradually started to realize that this was what he'd done as a kid, living in the hoard, to keep himself from going crazy.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
Yep, I felt really bad for Glen too since he seemed like a legitimately nice guy who got in over his head/was struggled with a mental illness. I hear the therapist lady they had come on kept one or two of his rats though, which I though was kinda neat.

Hmm, I still haven't honed my skills of dead cat prediction yet. I should check that episode out.

I wonder how many of the people contact the show themselves, because they legitimately want help and maybe can't afford it otherwise (because the shows are basically giving them thousands of dollars worth of services free). I mean, I'm sure a lot were coaxed into appeared by their friends and family, ESPECIALLY the ones who get belligerent and refuse to cooperate, but the few like Glen and who else that really want the help make me wonder. I mean, I know I'd at least be seriously tempted to take the offer of getting free therapy and whatnot for my issues, even if it was at the catch of my antics being broadcast around the world.

But yeah, I get seriously pissed with the ones that refuse the help that's basically being presented to them on a silver platter. I know it's sometimes difficult to admit yeah, I need help, but seriously, just go along with it even if you don't fully believe you need it.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Dr. Cuddlebug said:
[youtube]5Xswdor-ZnU[/youtube]
'Nuff said

Jesus Fuck.

These hoarders have always fascinated me. Most of them seem to hoard because the stuff they hoard is of sentimental value to them. Like possibly those dirty water bottles the lady in the video has.

sparklemilhouse

America Online for Dummies™
kiwifarms.net
A lot of those lil rats went to shelters and people adopted them. So that's nice.

Spatchmo

kiwifarms.net

scorptatious said:
Jesus Fuck.

These hoarders have always fascinated me. Most of them seem to hoard because the stuff they hoard is of sentimental value to them. Like possibly those dirty water bottles the lady in the video has.
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would possibly want to throw bottles filled with urine and feces away. So many beautiful memories attached to them!

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Spatchmo said:
scorptatious said:
Jesus Fuck.

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would possibly want to throw bottles filled with urine and feces away. So many beautiful memories attached to them!

I know right?!? :biggrin:

Shadow Fox

Internet Professional
kiwifarms.net
Glen was one of my favorite people on the show. He wasn't a belligerent asshole or a selfish manbaby, just a sad guy with unresolved grief issues and a shitton of fancy rats. I hope he got some aftercare to help him start healing.

Dr. Zasio, the psychiatrist that worked with him on the show, adopted two of his rats from the shelter they were sent to. Named them Laurel and Hoardy. :lol:

Spatchmo said:
I saw this recently, which isn't from a show:
[youtube]aTXP_m8DuMg[/youtube]
It's kind of interesting to hear from a landlord's perspective. He sounds way more upbeat and forgiving about it than I think I would be. Hopefully his insurance covers some or all of this.

:cryblood: She vacated the house but left all her shit there. Literally, all of her shit. I know she was mentally ill, but goddamn, how can you be okay with making that kind of mess of someone else's property and then just leaving it for them to clean up?

Dr. Cuddlebug said:
The Arts and Entertainment Network, everyone. :briefs:

I love that they put a censor blur over the basin of piss-n-shit water she was carrying out to the yard. They've shown us Poop Mountain, piles of human and animal shit, pissjugs and dead pets in various stages of decomposition, but this woman's pan full of excrement soup was just too much for them. Take that as you will.

The Knife

Magnificent Witch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

scorptatious said:
Dr. Cuddlebug said:
'Nuff said

Jesus Fuck.

I'm watching this show now. The b-story is a little old lady who believes the End Times are upon us and she's stockpiling goods for the use of those Left Behind™. She filled up one trailer to the point she was forced to abandon it, and now she's just about filled another.

That's another thing about these shows: you see people who have filled one or two HOUSES with stuff, yet most of them seem to be either unemployed or retired or living on fixed incomes. Where is the money coming from?

ETA: I think poop-lady just killed Matt Paxton.

cheersensei

To the pure, all things are pure.
kiwifarms.net
These shows always give me the urge to clean.

I don't recall any particular favorites, but good God, these shows are something you just can't stop watching when you first see them. My grandmother used to live across the street from two ladies who were known hoarders. They usually could be found at auctions, picking up scraps of un-purchased items that were headed to the dump. Dorthy had several cars and a trailer dedicated to her items, and when her sons moved her out, almost got kicked out of an apartment due to the hoard. They also threatened to burn down her house after she died, stating the clutter was too much.

Fialovy

isekai'd magical girl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Animal Planet has a show called about hoarders called Confessions: Animal Hoarding that deals with a variation of hoarding that is pretty much crazy cat lady on steroids and yeah, I watched that show. It's interesting. I mean, being a crazy cat lady (or dog, or rabbit, or bird, or whatever) actually has underlying mental disorders behind it.

Roger Rabbit

A rabbit who should die
kiwifarms.net
I am not sure how to respond to this. I do feel bad for the family here...... but.... Wiccan power stones. That is all I can say.

Spatchmo

kiwifarms.net
RogerRabbit1988 said:
I am not sure how to respond to this. I do feel bad for the family here...... but.... Wiccan power stones. That is all I can say.
Yeah, I feel bad for the family, but the woman, Sherry, is in need of serious mental help and should have her children taken away. The Wiccan power stones were cut out of the episode proper, what it does show is that she refuses to take responsibility for anything. They bring a psychologist in, who asks her questions (politely) that should make her self-reflect, but instead just makes Sherry freak out and talk about how much she hates the psychologist for being "a bitch". The woman belongs in an assisted living facility in my opinion, so that her kids can live proper lives unshackled by their mother's insanity.

I don't doubt that Sherry would be unable to work or hold a job, but not for any of the reasons she's thinking.

Bugaboo

It is a good day to do what has to be done by me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's being Wicca, and then there's having Wiccan power stones and beleiving you can smite people with lightning.
Doesn't the Wicca religion say that it's a big no no to harm people with other worldly powers because you'll get hit with double the punishment you dished out?

Uzumaki

Just bein' ahwnist
kiwifarms.net
revengeofphil said:
There's being Wicca, and then there's having Wiccan power stones and beleiving you can smite people with lightning.
Doesn't the Wicca religion say that it's a big no no to harm people with other worldly powers because you'll get hit with double the punishment you dished out?

More than that. You get triple good vibes back, and some even higher multiple of bad vibes, maybe five. Using magic to harm someone is about the biggest breach of wiccan morality you could come up with.

But that's like me saying that my highest moral principle is not melting people's heads with my mind.

The Knife

Magnificent Witch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Spatchmo said:
The woman belongs in an assisted living facility in my opinion, so that her kids can live proper lives unshackled by their mother's insanity.

I think what pissed me off the most about that episode was that the father was willing if not desperate to take both of the girls just to get them out of that environment, but the mother refused because losing them meant she would get less money from disability. Don't quote me but I think the father was actually separated from the mother for the same reason: they were still married for all practical purposes, but she kicked him out of the house because his income meant less disability money.

I know a lot of people on disability. Most of them have pretty legitimate reasons for being on disability. I would happily pay my however-many-cents-per-month in taxes to make sure my friend with epilepsy doesn't run the risk of having one of her five daily seizures while working the sales floor of Wal-Mart. I don't even mind paying taxes for the continued pleasure of preventing Chris from roaming the streets of Ruckersville. But going out of your way to insure that your own children are suffering just so you can pull in an extra eighty bucks a month...I hope the roaches eat her.

Uzumaki

Just bein' ahwnist
kiwifarms.net

hm yeah

buh ayway
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh, the Purse Lady. When that season of Hoarders was on Netflix, there was one episode description about a lady with rotted intestines, who had to have some of her intestines cut out, yet she refused to change her ways.

"oh boy!" I thought, "this is going to be trainwrecky!!"

And then it was GRAMMAW YA GOTS TOOOO MANY PURSES.

fuck you, purse lady. The letdown still scars me.

And that one ep with Ratman and Cat lady (Cat lady was such a goddamn letdown. she just hid inside like a coward for the most part). My brother said the way the trailer for that ep was spliced seemed to imply that the horde of cats was rushing to the horde of rats. I would pay so much money to see that! But I felt awful for Ratman. He's one of the few sympathetic people on the show.

Ratman: These rats are all that remain of my former life
Some stranger bitch: "We care about the rats just as much as you do"
Ratman: (clearly wants to attack her)

CalmMyTits said:
There was also one episode where this old, retired woman started wearing diapers when her water was turned off. She didn't use a bucket. She didn't dig a hole in the yard. She chose to wear fucking adult diapers instead of making another place to relieve herself, like a sane person would who didn't have a working toilet. She then hoarded her old diapers in garbage bags and kept them in the bathroom (because where else was she gonna keep it, hur hur) and by the time the cleanup crew started cleaning her house the bags leaked and the urine ate through the floor, weakening it.

Diapersnuggy: (faraway look) I didn't get where I am by wearing short skirts and sitting in the front of class!

(cut to young Diapersnuggy in a short skirt, getting up from her seat in class. She has left a horrible mound on her chair, that is at least 6" high)

Diapersnuggy was just...I know she probably is on meds and it's not her fault she's incontinent, but DAMN.

There was this one lady with a white mummified pumpkin on her coffee table. Her mess was horrendous, but actually, apart from that...well she was kind of interesting.

Spatchmo

kiwifarms.net
Oh, I found another little snippet from the same episode of Hoarding that I linked the op. She really hates the psychologist for not telling her that she isn't responsible for everything.
[youtube]NVRwuu_wn9s[/youtube]