Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Area52Hobart
Facebook Post: https://archive.li/mlivA
Instagram Post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuAYDGqA_mU
Wow guys some actual original news straight from a kiwi's beak.
Having trouble archiving the comments from the facebook pages, if anyone has a suggestion. It's incredibly stupid so you should definitely have a look at the comments (they can't disable comments because they don't know how ) If anyone could help please do.
But this has caught the attention of Australian D&D fans, an independent game store is banning males from entering the store every fortnight for Women-Presenting only. Males are not allowed, but are allowing transgendered, non-binary, a-gendered and other non-binary genders.
Also I think FtM or Male-presenting trans people aren't allowed in too.
So question: What are your thoughts on banning all men from stores so that female-identified patrons feel comfortable?
As a certified aussie legbeard (that's a female neckbeard for all you normies) who has been a /tg/er and rpger for a majority of my life, I had to deal with guys all the time. It's a normality, just like in real life. Nerdy guys are chill but you get a weirdo out of a dozen. To deal with these weirdos you just confront them, if they can't accept it 90% of the time they will leave the store to avoid further embarrassment and avoid you fully. The other 10% is when you get the manager involved and they will deal with it their way because generally disrespecting women in a LGS is immediate bans in many cases. If the manager is lazy or stupid, they wont do anything.
Example? My friend was getting upset that a guy on the table kept slut shaming her high charisma druid. She complained to me after the game and never approached him about it. In private I did have a bit of a chat with him and offhandedly mentioned the situation, immediately he thought about it and said he'd never do it again. Sometimes guys are just stupid. Another time was when I was playing in a youth campaign, character had a Rapier and a 14 year old kid decided to make a rape joke after a character pulled it out. Instead of beasting him out, I kindly said "Be aware that there are some people here that won't approve of jokes like that." I think he understood what I meant.
Now, The current rise of 5e DnD newcomers has brought in a lot of new players, especially other women and transgendered people into a community of mostly blokes and old grognards. It happens to be that a lot of interest is coming from RPG podcasts and shows, which are very popular on tumblr, which is why recently there is a lot of women joining in.
Now the thing is, most people (especially people from tumblr) who pick up DnD are losers or nerds (like me) with no social graces and sometimes there are situations where people aren't challenging these weirdos, not telling people to stop or don't even report them to the managers, thus making their envionment shitty for everyone.
But oh jeeze there was something lost in translation when possibly a small vocal group of people in the Area 52 demanded a Female-Only night and segregated Males (including FtM) Basically, the ones who complained created this environment themselves and this is just a stupid way for the store to fix things. Remove the source of the disease, don't keep patching up for the symptoms.
TLDR: Girls if your getting slacked on by nerd bois, just call them out on it. They will shape up or be done in by managers. Don't hide from them.