Hobart RPG/Board Game Shop has a "Female Only" Event Night, Bans Males - NO GROGNARDS ALLOWED

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Why wouldn't it just be better for everyone to erase that nonsense from their A-board and write "ALL are welcome". Then toss the people who are genuinely causing a problem. I don't see how artificially creating division is better than nurturing an environment where people know that when they walk in the door they're going to be given the same respect as anyone or they can fuck off back to wherever regardless of their skin pigment or what's hanging between their legs.
The problem is that, by and large, no one is causing a problem. What you have are essentially two groups of shy, awkward people who don't know how to interact with the other sex. The solution would be to have a DM or someone on the staff there to make everybody comfortable and open people up, not blaming men because a bunch of awkward women are too nervous to act normal around a bunch of equally awkward dudes.

Next Task

kiwifarms.net
Sounds like a Geek Social Fallacy. 'We can't exclude the men who are being problems. So we exclude all the men, so no-one feels like they're targeted!'

In my experience gaming groups are terrible at policing bad players and the larger they get the worse they get at it. The current problem I've been seeing has been mostly troon/snowflake-driven, and is all about giving people fifty different ways to express their discomfort with a game, none of them involving actually saying anything. So they inevitably involve the whole group having to deal with the problems (or 'problems') of one player. This includes essentially giving a heckler's veto to any plot or character stuff they might not want, simply because they can't be expected to own their personal shit, which means it affects everyone else.

If there's really men who are making women feel unsafe, identify them as people rather than as representative of their gender and deal with them. Don't treat all men as guilty and incapable of learning, and don't treat women and 'women' as too fragile.

I don't have anything against a ladies' night in theory, but in my experience once you're allowing the enbies and the troons then it stops being about women just having time to themselves and being encouraged in a hobby they might love but be nervous about entering, or just enjoying the company of their fellow female roleplayers. Instead, it becomes about kicking out those dangerous, gross men and finally being free of the shackles of patriarchy ... and ignoring that there's a number of biological men enjoying being 'just one of the girls' a bit too much for comfort, because unless they're very lucky, they are dealing with a few people with some deep-seated misogyny.

Of course, it could be the former. I'd guess there weren't many trans or troons in Hobart.

vertexwindi

Ay yo this beat is bananas
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shrug. From the little experience I've had with board games, the women I've played with are treated the same as men, dishing out and receiving bants equally. The few spergy guys you get just need to be told what's acceptable and what isn't because they probably never hung out with women that aren't related to them.

Last edited:

Next Task

kiwifarms.net
I'd also say that the idea that there's this whole heap of women and 'women' out there who would be playing these games if only there weren't any men scaring them off is 'get woke, go broke' thinking. That's exactly the audience that all these SJW-oriented companies have been trying to market to for ages and, while they talk big, they don't tend to show up.

One of the first comments from the FB page accidentally covered this, because she said that women might be afraid of coming to the store, but she didn't say 'because of men', but 'because going new places where you don't know anyone can be scary'. Which is true, and much more likely to be the reason than it being the men scaring the women off - anxiety is unisex, after all. If there's problem players causing difficulties for everyone, that's one thing. But if they think there's a vast untapped market that will do more than possibly mark 'interested' on Facebook but never turn up, they're delusional.

Though there's two other factors as well. Apparently this is a new night for gaming created for this purpose, so it's not like they're removing anyone else, it's just an experimental extra night. And also, it would realistically take a much, much smaller audience to turn up to a Hobart gaming store to make for an acceptable number, so they could call the night a success with only, say, five people.

Safir

kiwifarms.net
So question: What are your thoughts on banning all men from stores so that female-identified patrons feel comfortable?
"We prioritize offenders. If you're groped by a dainty delicate xirself, we will do nothing because dainty delicate xirselves can't offend by definition. If you're groped by a man, we will do nothing because you were asking for it by showing up on men's day. Every day is men's day unless indicated otherwise."

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
I know of the shop.

I'm fine with the idea of a girls night for D&D. But the sign is incredibly tactless, and just makes the whole thing oh so tiring.
We expect you & the OP to show up on Ladies Night and take pictures.

They should run these women’s groups all week, tire them out, and then on the sabbath they should break out the super autistic shit
I have the World of Warcraft board game and it has over 1000 pieces(cards/figures/dice). It only takes 4 hours to play!

Mr. A. L. Mao

Has the inclinations to...mount women
kiwifarms.net
The problem is that, by and large, no one is causing a problem. What you have are essentially two groups of shy, awkward people who don't know how to interact with the other sex. The solution would be to have a DM or someone on the staff there to make everybody comfortable and open people up, not blaming men because a bunch of awkward women are too nervous to act normal around a bunch of equally awkward dudes.
This is a good point. Women are usually better socially than men, but we're talking about women who'd voluntarily go to a den of nerdom and autism like a game store. I'm imagining a room full of Megan Schroeders.
Sounds like a Geek Social Fallacy. 'We can't exclude the men who are being problems. So we exclude all the men, so no-one feels like they're targeted!'

In my experience gaming groups are terrible at policing bad players and the larger they get the worse they get at it. The current problem I've been seeing has been mostly troon/snowflake-driven, and is all about giving people fifty different ways to express their discomfort with a game, none of them involving actually saying anything. So they inevitably involve the whole group having to deal with the problems (or 'problems') of one player. This includes essentially giving a heckler's veto to any plot or character stuff they might not want, simply because they can't be expected to own their personal shit, which means it affects everyone else.

If there's really men who are making women feel unsafe, identify them as people rather than as representative of their gender and deal with them. Don't treat all men as guilty and incapable of learning, and don't treat women and 'women' as too fragile.

I don't have anything against a ladies' night in theory, but in my experience once you're allowing the enbies and the troons then it stops being about women just having time to themselves and being encouraged in a hobby they might love but be nervous about entering, or just enjoying the company of their fellow female roleplayers. Instead, it becomes about kicking out those dangerous, gross men and finally being free of the shackles of patriarchy ... and ignoring that there's a number of biological men enjoying being 'just one of the girls' a bit too much for comfort, because unless they're very lucky, they are dealing with a few people with some deep-seated misogyny.

Of course, it could be the former. I'd guess there weren't many trans or troons in Hobart.
Nerds are known for their passitivity, and open conflict in actually confronting or kicking someone out of the store is something they don't want to deal with. Also, maybe owners are hesitant to kick out paying customers in today's retail environment? Game stores are already niche, and the internet is ever eating into profits, so if the guy's a whale it might be better to just let him stay. And troons, of course, have their own issues that you don't want to touch lest you end up harassed and your store's reputation trashed by assmad castrati.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Dr. Boe Jangles Esq.

Original Prick
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Game store employees are often pussies about calling out bad patrons, and this won’t help.
Oh, you’re open to non-binary patrons? How progressive. The same dudes who were a problem yesterday are now voidgender sparklegirls.

The problem is not with the men, there are plenty of female shitheads in tabletop, and I’ve had them at my table before. We’ve all run into the “teehee I’m a girl in a game shop, so all the silly boys want to date me and boundaries don’t apply to me” chick.
The problem is that a shop does not want to say “hey, you’re a problem and need to either chill out or leave” to bad players, because they don’t want to lose the business.

This is not an issue of men and women. This is an issue of shitheads with no boundaries and the spineless staff who refuse to call them on it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino