Homelessness thread -

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They are trying to give everyone a plot of agricultural land, not housing. Despite the fact that government polling suggests that something like 98% of people who would be getting redistributed land would rather take a lump sum payment for the cash value of the land instead of the land itself, since it turns out it is remarkably hard work to turn an empty plot of land into a self-sustaining farm. Especially with how little rainfall many of the arid regions in the country get, sometimes it requires a huge amount of grazing land to sustain even a single head of livestock.

I think the homeless situation could be improved by shipping them out to designated quarantine zones like the West Coast cities where the climate is temperate and they will be able to survive all year round without fear of freezing temperature or heat stroke. Plus the social services infrastructure in those areas is probably better funded in order to deal with the public health and welfare aspect of the problem.
The 1996 Constitution of South Africa guaranteed the right to "adequate housing". This lead to the government mass producing shit housing and destroying the housing market.

• Informative
Reactions: WonderWino

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
Well first you have to look at the points that cause homelessness, one is the ridiculously high price of housing here in the UK my dads house that cost him 3 times his wage over 40 years ago currently is worth 11 times the same salary today. Then where are the causes of higher demand, one is billionaires from other countries buying multiple houses and not living in them just there as a way of storing wealth. Immigration also adds to demand when low end housing is not being created with demand and also divorce/single mothers have created the need for two places for parents to live where there once was one.

Something like 90% of homeless (street) are men, in the UK a man will go to get help and be told basically to fuck off they are so low down the points table they have no hope unless they are disabled. Note between 10-20% of these homeless are ex forces not lazy bums, like suicide one of the large stress points of men becoming homeless is family break down. How easy would it be to create housing at the point of people becoming homeless after all you need small studio or bedsit type units that would be relatively cheep to build. The other thing that could be done is instead of giving people with un used homes a massive discount on the property tax would be to tax them higher as they do have a negative effect on the locality.

As for those that are addicts etc I do not think much could be done for them unless they decide to help themselves.
Thatcher's legacy. Bitch slapping poor men in the UK.

WonderWino

kiwifarms.net
The direct approach would work well I suspect. Not that I have any idea how you'd arrange it from a logistical standpoint but lets assume someone could come up with a way, the solution is very simple. You round up every homeless person in the country and bus them in massively large groups into every major democrat and well off area in the country and deliberately set them up to descend on said areas like locusts. Let them shit in the streets, sell crack, cause as many problems and disruptions as possible, in as many rich areas as possible and the more the locals complain the more homeless you bus into the area. Don't stop doing it until said locals themselves start demanding something be done to deal with the homeless problem as a whole and until adequate housing and support are implemented.

Let them make life hell for all the well off people in the country and a solution will be found remarkably quickly

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You round up every homeless person in the country and bus them in massively large groups into every major democrat and well off area in the country and deliberately set them up to descend on said areas like locusts. Let them shit in the streets, sell crack, cause as many problems and disruptions as possible, in as many rich areas as possible and the more the locals complain the more homeless you bus into the area.
We already tried this, it's called "San Francisco".

FrailQueen

kiwifarms.net
More efficient rehabs or more programs that teach life skills. I used to be homeless 2 years ago, I went to the social security office to be placed into housing. I met some other people struggling with homelessness, who bounce from shelter to shelter because they don't like "the rules" (be back by 10 pm, no drinking, no drugs). I did fine with getting back on my feet in a shelter, but for people who have an addiction or whatever other issue, they're not going to find it as easy. There should be some sort of rehab program that help those struggling become self-sufficient (money management, cooking, cleaning, etc) on top of just overcoming addiction.
Because you can give some people a roof over their head, but then they won't have a fuckin clue as to what they're doing.

Tags
None