War Hong Kong Garden Takeaway (Megathread) - Time to kill some fuckin' ugly reds

Sackity

Yo, buddy. Still alive
kiwifarms.net
Here's an interesting, albeit biased, article from the Australian military-industrial complex about a site that exposed a number of the CIA operatives operating in Hong Kong.

From the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (sponsored by Lockheed Martin (TM)):

http://web.archive.org/web/20191001220515/https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/doxxing-the-pro-democracy-movement-in-hong-kong/
ASPI(E) puts out sponsored articles from the MIC, sure, but that one wasn't sponsored by any defence contractor. Sponsored articles are blatantly stated to be sponsored. It's not explicitly pro-MIC, but it doesn't comment on it either. Most of their sponsors aren't primarily in the MIC, either.

The real crime here is spelling doxing with two x's.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Most of their sponsors aren't primarily in the MIC, either.
What what what?
1570037125738.png

I'd never heard of Jacobs, but apparently they supply IT solutions to the 'intelligence community'. Likewise, I suppose Austal may have built some civilian RORO ferries (if they were subsidized to bring them down to Chinese prices) but I'm not sure what you'd call the rest of those companies.

Sackity

Yo, buddy. Still alive
kiwifarms.net
What what what?
View attachment 956580
I'd never heard of Jacobs, but apparently they supply IT solutions to the 'intelligence community'. Likewise, I suppose Austal may have built some civilian RORO ferries (if they were subsidized to bring them down to Chinese prices) but I'm not sure what you'd call the rest of those companies.
You forgot to scroll down to see the rest of their sponsors under the International Cyber Policy Centre (otherwise it's just all defense-contractors). Austal is a home-grown civil and defence contractor that built the USN's LCS, and a number of multi-hull ferries.

Gator Young Henning

FBI Special Agent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What what what?
View attachment 956580
Does Saab even still exist?

Edit: I was thinking of the defunct car company

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You forgot to scroll down to see the rest of their sponsors under the International Cyber Policy Centre (otherwise it's just all defense-contractors). Austal is a home-grown civil and defence contractor that built the USN's LCS, and a number of multi-hull ferries.
I suppose they could be better described as "sponsored by the military-industrial complex, and worse (Telstra)".

ICametoLurk

SCREW YOUR OPTICS, I'M GOING IN
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The PRC has lived off of the USA, thinking being pro-China is against the West is dumb. Mao had connections to OSS agents, they supported the USA during the Cold War, and so on.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Oh

Hong Kong May Ban Face Masks By Invoking Colonial-Era Emergency Powers
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email
October 3, 20199:58 AM ET
BILL CHAPPELL
Twitter

Hong Kong's government is set to invoke emergency powers it hasn't used in more than 50 years, as it moves to ban face masks. Here, demonstrators stand in Hong Kong's Causeway Bay to protest the police shooting of a young demonstrator.
Chan Long Hei/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Hong Kong's government is expected to take the rare step of invoking emergency powers on Friday so that it can enact a ban on face masks like the ones pro-democracy protesters have worn during months of demonstrations.
Media reports of the possible action emerged days after police shot a pro-democracy protester in the chest during an altercation, signaling a new escalation by authorities and bringing protesters' rage to new heights.
That demonstrator, identified as 18-year-old student Tsang Chi-kin, survived and was taken to the hospital. He now faces criminal charges of rioting and assaulting police officers. Video from the scene shows that he swung a metal rod at the officer just before being shot Tuesday.
The shooting and mass protests in Hong Kong stood in stark contrast to celebrations that day in Beijing, as flag-waving crowds turned out to mark 70 years of Communist Party authoritarian rule.
If Hong Kong's leaders indeed use the emergency law to ban face masks, it would be the first time in half a century that a chief executive has used those powers, which date to 1922, when Hong Kong was under British rule.

"Hong Kong outlets are reporting that the city's Cabinet will invoke the colonial-era Emergency Regulations Ordinance," NPR's Emily Feng reports from Beijing. "The law gives embattled Chief Executive Carrie Lam broad powers to head off protests by stifling communication networks or raiding homes without a warrant."
Hong Kong Protester Is Shot By Police As Clashes Over Democracy Take A Dark Turn
ASIA
Hong Kong Protester Is Shot By Police As Clashes Over Democracy Take A Dark Turn

China Flexes Muscles In Parade Marking 70 Years Of Communist Rule
ASIA
China Flexes Muscles In Parade Marking 70 Years Of Communist Rule

The law allows the chief executive to wield broader authority if they see a need to act in the public interest during a time of emergency. The law, which evidently did not foresee the possibility that a woman might one day lead Hong Kong's government, states:
"On any occasion which the Chief Executive in Council may consider to be an occasion of emergency or public danger he may make any regulations whatsoever which he may consider desirable in the public interest."
The law gives Lam sweeping authority to enact orders and rules that might even go against existing rights and laws. The list of actions the executive can take ranges from "control and suppression of publications, writings, maps, plans, photographs" to "arrest, detention, exclusion and deportation" and the appropriation of property.
Lam would have sweeping authority to impose severe penalties on anyone who breaks the emergency regulations, ranging to up to life in prison — and excluding only the death penalty.
As news of the government's possible move spread, Hong Kong Legislative Council member Dennis Kwok Wing-hang warned that using the emergency measure would undermine the rule of law in Hong Kong — and would not end the call for a stronger democracy.
"They [the government] can use it to enact an anti-mask law now, the next thing is they are going to extend the detention period, and the next is they are going to further curtail the Hong Kong people's rights and freedoms, including canceling District Council elections, all in the name of using the emergency regulation," Kwok said, according to The Standard. "And that is our biggest fear."
Protesters regularly wear a range of face masks in Hong Kong, from Guy Fawkes masks to thin surgical-style coverings and respirator-equipped face masks — which have the dual benefit of combating tear gas fired by police and obscuring the demonstrators' identities.
During the months of demonstrations and physical clashes with police, protesters at the front lines have increasingly worn respirator masks with goggles, helmets and other tactical gear, along with the umbrellas that remain the hallmark of Hong Kongers' push for local control and direct democracy.
As for how long a ban on face masks and other actions could be enforced, the law doesn't put an expiration date on any emergency regulations, saying they should remain in effect until the chief executive repeals them.
The emergency law has been invoked only once in Hong Kong's history, in response to rioting in 1967. But such authority was a point of concern for human rights advocates in the late 1990s, who urged substantial revisions because, they said, the ordinance could be open to abuse when Hong Kong was handed back to China.
The Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor — a nongovernmental organization — said at the time that it was "very unsettling" that the measure lacks specific criteria for being invoked. The group added that attempts to amend the ordinance before the handover took place were only partially successful, as only the "draconian regulations made under it" were removed.
To make the case for banning face masks, a pro-Beijing group held a news briefing Thursday and declared that the ban is necessary because the protests have disrupted business and affected the livelihood of regular people.
The mass protests erupted in early June, when millions of people in Hong Kong took to the streets to demand that Lam withdraw a bill that would have allowed Hong Kongers accused of crimes to be extradited to mainland China to face trial.
Lam eventually agreed to that demand, but the pro-democracy movement says it still has five demands, including direct democratic elections to choose Hong Kong's next leader, and an independent investigation into police use of force against protesters.
I wonder why they want those masks off

Palpatine

kiwifarms.net
It's WAR time, guys. After Lam grabbing emergency power, PLA is sending trucks full of soldiers patrolling in downtown. More police shooting with live rounds. CCP is ramping up internal propaganda on how rioters light Chinese bank branches on fire. HKers now have a Declaration of Temporary Government, which seeks to oust Lam and fellow ccp puppets, and hold real elections in a month. This declaration is being read in multiple districts. There seems to be some real support behind it.

DumbDude42

kiwifarms.net
It's WAR time, guys. After Lam grabbing emergency power, PLA is sending trucks full of soldiers patrolling in downtown. More police shooting with live rounds. CCP is ramping up internal propaganda on how rioters light Chinese bank branches on fire. HKers now have a Declaration of Temporary Government, which seeks to oust Lam and fellow ccp puppets, and hold real elections in a month. This declaration is being read in multiple districts. There seems to be some real support behind it.
honestly, what hope do they have? PRC surrounds them, PRC controls the streets in their city, PRC controls their government, and the british empire that once was their protector is long gone.

we know that the PRC is willing and able to take HK by force, and no amount of whining and crying will change their mind. the only way to preserve HK independence would be to repel the PRC forces on the ground, and no power in the region has the ability or the will to do that. the closest one would be japan, but to my knowledge their armed forces are nowhere near powerful enough to accomplish such a thing, and i don't think anybody over there has the political will to get involved in a military conflict with the PRC.

Keystone

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any reliable livestreams or videos? Sounds spicy and I wanna see it.

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net
honestly, what hope do they have? PRC surrounds them, PRC controls the streets in their city, PRC controls their government, and the british empire that once was their protector is long gone.

we know that the PRC is willing and able to take HK by force, and no amount of whining and crying will change their mind. the only way to preserve HK independence would be to repel the PRC forces on the ground, and no power in the region has the ability or the will to do that. the closest one would be japan, but to my knowledge their armed forces are nowhere near powerful enough to accomplish such a thing, and i don't think anybody over there has the political will to get involved in a military conflict with the PRC.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees (or die on your knees, given how China deals with "disruptive elements").

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
The PRC has lived off of the USA, thinking being pro-China is against the West is dumb. Mao had connections to OSS agents, they supported the USA during the Cold War, and so on.
>The PRC has lived off of the USA

Yes, and? That's one of the main issues with China. They're our number one military rival, and are an aggressively expansionist nation. All of which has been enabled by our heroine like addiction to cheap outsourced goods. By cheap I mean "cheap to the individual buying it." They're quite expensive to society as a whole.

>thinking being pro-China is against the West is dumb.

How so? About the only real tangible benefit the west gets from the PRC existing is that they prevent Islamic expansion into the east.

>Mao had connections to OSS agents

Yeah, and? He, also genocided all the "capitalist pig dogs," Christians, Buddhists, and unfortunate grain sparrows he could find. Who the fuck cares that he was dropping hot tips on mutual enemies of ours in order to fuck them over? So every time Tyrone tips off the cops to his rival crack dealer Shaquila, you think he should get a medal?

>they supported the USA during the Cold War

Lol wut? They directly fought against us in the Korean war (right after we saved their asses in WW2), and they supported the communist forces in Vietnam. They only kinda sorta started to turn on the USSR towards the end of the cold war because the USSR had become a weak ally, which wasn't worth going to war to save had the cold war gone hot.

>and so on

What so on? The big things you mentioned were the most grasping at straws arguments I can imagine for why we should be BFFs with one of the most potent parasitic entities in the modern world. It's also not like it's just us they're fucking over to get ahead either. They constantly try to push the border lines on the map in their favor with India, Japan, and the Philippines. They treat pretty much every nations' IP rights like a joke. The "belt and road initiative," is a clear attempt to achieve global trade hegemony. They're willing to use tactics like colluding with foreign officials to allow them to annex territory, the most egregious example of this being in Sri Lanka, where they got politicians to deliberately rack up a massive debt with them only to be so "gracious" as to allow them to pay this debt by allowing them to build a military port on the island... Which so happens to be positioned in the ideal location to embargo India should that cold war ever go hot.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino