TGWTG Hope Chapman / Jacob "Jack" Chapman / JesuOtaku - Self-loathing weaboo redneck. Blew her way to ANN gig. Goon and troon.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is JesuOtaku one of tumblr type fuck bois or actually taking T and trying to be masculine?

The only somewhat recent photos of Hope/Jacob don’t look like she’s taking T. I could be totally wrong on this but just wondering if she was committed enough to being a trans man that she would grow chin pubes and get a bart Simpson voice or if she’s just going to wear boy clothes and make everyone use he/their/xir pronouns.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I honestly never got all the craze behind Goblin Slayer, minus the rape episode it's a boring as fuck show. Someone here said it's like D&D, I'd say it's more like D&D if it was run by an edge lord douchebag who lacks imagination to tell a good story and later invited his brother who's also an edge lord douchebag, who brought this boring character that would have been laughed out of any other table, but not here because he knows the GM. So, the GM d-bag decides to make a whole campaign about his bro's boring edge lord d-bag character. I'll say this, both Goblin Slayer and maybe Shield Hero def make good Abridged series just like SAO is only watchable in Abridged form.

Last edited:

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
Well I mean its literally called Goblin Slayer. Its what it says on the tin. Relentless Goblin Murder. Expecting anything else is kinda dumb. I have been told that The Slayer himself is complex character but I somehow doubt it

Whats wrong with Shield Hero?

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Well I mean its literally called Goblin Slayer. Its what it says on the tin. Relentless Goblin Murder. Expecting anything else is kinda dumb. I have been told that The Slayer himself is complex character but I somehow doubt it

Whats wrong with Shield Hero?
I'd say the guy is about as complex as a can of peanuts. As for Shield Hero, from what I saw it felt like SAO (that series was made by someone who never played a MMO), and this felt like it was made by someone who never played a JRPG even though it sort off try's to play by JRPG rules.

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
I have been told that The Slayer himself is complex character but I somehow doubt it
As @Jaimas pointed out earlier, the character is basically fucked up in the head. Which is his motivation for slaughtering goblins. I wouldn't say it's "complex." To the contrary, the how and why he got that way is actually piss simple. However, his psychology leads to an interesting plot dynamic where the supporting cast is trying to pull him back from the brink of utter madness. It gives the audience something additional to root for. If the climax were him making the world safe from goblins, the dénouement we're hoping for is the one where he doesn't end up in a padded cell, or offing himself.

In the end, I thought the show was okay. Not great. But okay. Good enough to where I'd watch the second season. However, it was up against some really tough competition in 2018.

Also, the controversy was blown way out of proportion. There's a disturbing assault in the first ep, but after that, the only real edgy stuff is the violence.

Jaimas

YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND ARE COWARDS!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To understand Goblin Slayer a little better, you have to analyze the protagonist, probably a bit harder than most would probably care to:

He's fundamentally damaged. In one of the later episodes, you see him without his armor. He's covered with old, badly-healed scars. He's pale, and with his helmet on, he's a looming, imposing figure. Without it he looks almost normal. But simply leaving it off doesn't hide who he is; there is fundamentally something wrong with him, and almost everyone realizes it just by being near the guy.

What makes the show interesting isn't Goblin Slayer himself per se; while how crazy prepared for random situations he is is wildly entertaining in and of itself, the emotional core of this show is his dynamic with the rest of the cast. It's him slowly being saved from himself, and in the process, others realizing why the fuck he does what he does, and why it's so goddamned critical. His traveling companions quickly realize that the Goblin Slayer is the sort of person who would be institutionalized in any other setting. He does not function. He's turned himself into something less than human in order to fight things that aren't human at all. Any other adventurer at the guildhall could stop adventuring tomorrow and live a peaceful life somewhere. Goblin Slayer can't.

That's why the others getting into his life makes for such a compelling thing to watch: His humanity is slowly coming back. The big finale for the season is not the fall of the Demon King (which basically happens off-camera with another party entirely); it's the Goblin Slayer coming to the guildhall to do the fucking unthinkable: to ask for help killing Goblins. The realization is that this creepy, ominous, murderous figure is just as human as everyone else at the guild, and the ending sequence, featuring Goblin Slayer taking his helmet off around his guildmates, brings the whole thing full circle.

The show and its manga are by no means great; they're building on ground that's already been broken a dozen times or more by dozens of separate works from Lodoss and Berserk on downwards. It's good though and it leverages what it's trying to do carefully. It helps that the soundtrack is fucking amazing and that the show lends itself perfectly to everything from Alex Jones edits to Jontron edits.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, sorry the character doesn't sound all that interesting. Mostly it's a boring/flat character and it's only the side characters who give him any form of actual "depth". I'm just gonna stick with the Abridged version, least that makes fun of how stupid the entire thing is and how damn seriously it takes itself.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Jaimas

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, sorry the character doesn't sound all that interesting. Mostly it's a boring/flat character and it's only the side characters who give him any form of actual "depth". I'm just gonna stick with the Abridged version, least that makes fun of how stupid the entire thing is and how damn seriously it takes itself.
It's definitely an acquired taste. Both the Manga and Anime have some serious issues as they progress, so it's not like there's a shortage of legit reasons to not like it. The heavy grimdark focus, which you mentioned, is definitely not for everyone, and like I said previously, it's treading on already-bulldozed ground.

The funnier issue, of course, and more importantly, relevant to Jesu "fucking a Google employee to get my search results censored" Otaku, is that the fucking show has a following at all makes her fucking ANGERY. How dare you people like something Hope Chapman does not approve of.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I'm more surprised that Hope didn't use his/her brain (okay wishful thinking I know, but stick with me) and didn't bring up something like Berserk as "Hey guys, if you want gore and all that dark stuff. Here's a series that did it way before. So, what makes this one special?" and I know there would be people who'd give good explanations like you did @Jaimas, but we know there would be those who just watch this series because "Oh! It has tits! An blood! Ooo! I'm so bad and naughty for watching this! Makes me feel like a big boy!", like same reason people watched schlock like Angel Cop or Mad Bull 34. Not because they were good, but because "Oh, this has things I'm not usually allowed to see 'cause mommy will get mad"

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm more surprised that Hope didn't use his/her brain (okay wishful thinking I know, but stick with me) and didn't bring up something like Berserk as "Hey guys, if you want gore and all that dark stuff. Here's a series that did it way before. So, what makes this one special?" and I know there would be people who'd give good explanations like you did @Jaimas, but we know there would be those who just watch this series because "Oh! It has tits! An blood! Ooo! I'm so bad and naughty for watching this! Makes me feel like a big boy!", like same reason people watched schlock like Angel Cop or Mad Bull 34. Not because they were good, but because "Oh, this has things I'm not usually allowed to see 'cause mommy will get mad"
Having covered Homer in the past, that gave me a delightful mental image and I gave you a Semper Fidelis on that alone.

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
The funnier issue, of course, and more importantly, relevant to Jesu "fucking a Google employee to get my search results censored" Otaku, is that the fucking show has a following at all makes her fucking ANGERY. How dare you people like something Hope Chapman does not approve of.
It's more like "how dare you FINISH something Hope Chapman does not approve of." She chimped out on the first episode and refuses to continue. So she's straight up unqualified to judge the show. As you know, subsequent episodes don't have the shock value of the first (aside from the violence, which is present throughout). It's almost like they front-loaded that scene as an "SJW repellent" and to get people talking about the thing. It worked.

I'm more surprised that Hope didn't use his/her brain (okay wishful thinking I know, but stick with me) and didn't bring up something like Berserk as "Hey guys, if you want gore and all that dark stuff. Here's a series that did it way before.
Well...

The most shocking scene in that first story arc is where Casca gets raped (and a whole bunch of other fucked up shit happens).

So one could argue she's consistent by suppressing Berserk.

Using her brain and "way before" would have entailed mentioning Lodoss, like I said earlier. It's not nearly as grimdark, but it follows the D&D tropes to a T. The history about how Lodoss came about is pretty interesting, and Noboru Kannatuki flat out said he used Lodoss as a inspiration for GS.

Meanwhile, Hope tries to dismiss GS as just "another Isekai." She's an idiot who doesn't know what Isekai is. GS is a revival of something that existed before the deluge of Isekai, and hasn't been seen for a while.

The issue is that Hope is largely ignorant about any anime before the mid-90s. Trigun is about the earliest thing she'll fangirl over. She didn't include Lodoss or Berserk in her "best of 90s" list. Which I think is shameful. I think older fans probably get the most amount of fun pointing out how utterly ignorant she is.

That's funny. That seems to support they did go after Vic, in part, because of Hazukari.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
She's an idiot [....] The issue is that Hope is largely ignorant about any anime before the mid-90s. [...] I think older fans probably get the most amount of fun pointing out how utterly ignorant she is.
She's always been a complete and utter fraud that doesn't know a thing about anime except for a handful of silly shows like Digimon.
Her only "selling point" to her videos was "OMG! It's a GURRL talkin' 'bout ANIME!!" And now she can't even do that. She's just another dorky gangly dude on the internet now.

EDIT: MarzGurl is organizing a mass false flagging campaign against some guy whose video she disagrees with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2FBN43SIg

Last edited:

Munchingonfish

kiwifarms.net
ANN did a really great job with the Hazukari situation. That's why weeks later, their reaction is still limited to personal Twitter accounts that they've buried beneath other sperging. Clearly they believe the accusations if they're pulling his articles down. So how come they haven't run a story about it? This definitely won't end up with him weaseling into another community and doing it all over again.

Anime News Network runs stuff on nobodies accused of doing bad shit. I guess admitting you were rubbing elbows with a sex pest isn't advertiser friendly?

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino