TGWTG Hope Chapman / Jacob "Jack" Chapman / JesuOtaku - Self-loathing weaboo redneck. Blew her way to ANN gig. Goon and troon.

• The Kiwi Farms is running a Fediverse Node, which is like Twitter but decentralized between many individual providers, similar to email. Feel free to sign up and follow me. There are many more services we federate with, and you will see all that content with one account. (Feedback thread.)

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
What happened? Spoil me.
I dunno if it's the same thing, but...

For sure, Sasha is gonna die in the next arc of the anime. That's been known for a while by anybody reading the manga though (it's well ahead of where they're at in the anime).

People are biting their nails over whether Levi is gonna survive the series, but I don't think anything is definitive yet. His death would probably cause a mini-riot, since he's the one the fangirls squee hardest over.

Personally. I hope they kill him. The fangirl salt would be glorious.

Alberto Balsalm

No Xmas for John Quays
kiwifarms.net
I dunno if it's the same thing, but...

For sure, Sasha is gonna die in the next arc of the anime. That's been known for a while by anybody reading the manga though (it's well ahead of where they're at in the anime).

People are biting their nails over whether Levi is gonna survive the series, but I don't think anything is definitive yet. His death would probably cause a mini-riot, since he's the one the fangirls squee hardest over.

Personally. I hope they kill him. The fangirl salt would be glorious.
It's not that part.

They just revealed that Titan shifters were treated as a lesser race in a way that is essentially a thinly-veiled allegory for Jews in Nazi Germany. People who aren't reading the manga are coming to the knee-jerk conclusion that the author wants to kill all the Jews, when the narrative is more or less sympathetic to them at this point.

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
It's not that part.

They just revealed that Titan shifters were treated as a lesser race in a way that is essentially a thinly-veiled allegory for Jews in Nazi Germany. People who aren't reading the manga are coming to the knee-jerk conclusion that the author wants to kill all the Jews, when the narrative is more or less sympathetic to them at this point.
How thinly veiled are we talking about here? Plenty of societies have considered other races subhuman. That includes the Japanese.

Depicting something doesn't mean you're endorsing it.

Alberto Balsalm

No Xmas for John Quays
kiwifarms.net
How thinly veiled are we talking about here? Plenty of societies have considered other races subhuman. That includes the Japanese.

Depicting something doesn't mean you're endorsing it.
It's all fairly direct. Eren's relatives lived in a place resembling Nazi Germany, and were required to wear a star symbol in public at all times.

upload_2019-2-15_23-32-0.png

upload_2019-2-15_23-32-31.png

WWII imagery has been an acknowledged inspiration for the manga for quite a while, though, and people have been accusing Isayama of being a far-right war crime apologist for just as long.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it sounds like something JO would go ballistic over without actually knowing the facts.
I was expecting the spoiler to be something about Hange Zoe. Isn't she supposed to be gender neutral in the manga or something? Seems like a character JO would latch onto.

Alberto Balsalm

No Xmas for John Quays
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it sounds like something JO would go ballistic over without actually knowing the facts.
I was expecting the spoiler to be something about Hange Zoe. Isn't she supposed to be gender neutral in the manga or something? Seems like a character JO would latch onto.
Sort of. She looked kind of like a dude originally, so some fangirls from Japan were adamant that she was actually a dude and Levi's yaoi boyfriend. The author eventually said "yeah, whatever you want, you shipping spergs are funding my lifestyle anyway". JO has opined about this a few times.

Archeopthryx

kiwifarms.net
Sort of. She looked kind of like a dude originally, so some fangirls from Japan were adamant that she was actually a dude and Levi's yaoi boyfriend. The author eventually said "yeah, whatever you want, you shipping spergs are funding my lifestyle anyway". JO has opined about this a few times.
Back in 2014 an official merch was released.
51UFOtnB-9L.jpg

Can't believe they gave him some huge manly boobs.

Of course Medicom released a very expensive flat Hanji to keep the weeb fires of war burning.

• Informative
Reactions: Captain Manning

Lurk Jurk

kiwifarms.net
It's a running gag in the Japanese version that Hanji is just always referred to in a gender neutral way. Which is something you can do in Japanese and not really easily in English. So in English they just say Hanji is a woman. Because she obviously is.

I guess some of it can come from her Japanese voice being a woman but with a very male archetype (cause in Japanese voice acting you can tell a woman is playing a male character from now she talks, even if her voice is clearly female.)

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
It's a running gag in the Japanese version that Hanji is just always referred to in a gender neutral way. Which is something you can do in Japanese and not really easily in English. So in English they just say Hanji is a woman. Because she obviously is.

I guess some of it can come from her Japanese voice being a woman but with a very male archetype (cause in Japanese voice acting you can tell a woman is playing a male character from now she talks, even if her voice is clearly female.)
What's funny is that the Daily Dot did an article on this saying it was a very progressive decision on the part of the author.

Now people are claiming he's right-wing because he's using a Nazi analogy.

These are interesting times we live in. :story:

Lurk Jurk

kiwifarms.net
People were already calling him a Nazi just because the city, names and ethnic makeup in the manga are very German/Eastern European influenced. And then he used armbands to indicate that a particular cultural group are second class citizens in another civilization. Gee I wonder why an author would invoke real world oppression tactics and othering to get a point across. I'm sure that's never been done before.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Munchingonfish

kiwifarms.net
ANN did a really great job with the Hazukari situation. That's why weeks later, their reaction is still limited to personal Twitter accounts that they've buried beneath other sperging. Clearly they believe the accusations if they're pulling his articles down. So how come they haven't run a story about it? This definitely won't end up with him weaseling into another community and doing it all over again.

Anime News Network runs stuff on nobodies accused of doing bad shit. I guess admitting you were rubbing elbows with a sex pest isn't advertiser friendly?
Anime News Network's co-founder and current columnist admits there are worse people than Mignogna in the industry. They just aren't going to report on them for some reason.
upload_2019-2-18_19-57-13.png

http://archive.li/1KNip
True beacons of justice.

Alberto Balsalm

No Xmas for John Quays
kiwifarms.net
Anime News Network's co-founder and current columnist admits there are worse people than Mignogna in the industry. They just aren't going to report on them for some reason.
View attachment 669874
http://archive.li/1KNip
True beacons of justice.
...The media doesn't want to report on these people because they don't make for good stories? You are the fucking media! What kind of excuse is that?

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino