Law House Democrats introduce bill to give citizenship to DACA and TPS recipients - Doing this the hard way when Trump promised them this before because they're morons

KiwiLedian

I place my anger firmly on other people
kiwifarms.net
Today the House decided to out forth a new bill, known as HR 6, that will give DACA and TPS recipients a path to citizenship. You might remember Trump promising a solution on DACA for the wall but Pelosi and Schumer said no. Now the Pelosi has decided to ram a bill through with the added bonus of TPS being included because Trump is trying to take that away.

House Democrats introduce bill to give citizenship to DACA and TPS recipients

"My experience as a young person of diverse background makes me a strong, passionate and determined U.S. citizen in waiting," said a young Dreamer.

Pelosi introduces new bill with path to citizenship for Dreamers
MARCH 12, 201901:00

March 12, 2019, 12:43 PM EDT
By Nicole Acevedo
House Democrats introduced a bill Tuesday to provide a path to citizenship for young undocumented immigrants under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, and people with other types of temporary immigration protections.
Although the H.R. 6 bill, also known as the Dream and Promise Act, was introduced by California Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, the legislation's co-authors include Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., as well as New York Reps. Nydia M. Velázquez and Yvette D. Clarke, among other lead bill sponsors.

The announcement has given hope to people like Ana Argueta, 55, who has been living and working in the United States as a cleaning custodian for a decade under the federal program known as Temporary Protected Status, or TPS.
TPS is granted to countries ravaged by natural disasters or war and allows citizens of those countries to remain in the U.S. until the situation improves back home. In the past decades, previous administrations from both parties have renewed recipients' TPS status, but the Trump administration has said it would be endingTPS for a majority of recipients.
Though courts have temporarily blocked the Trump administration from ending TPS, families hope the Democrats' legislation, if passed, could give them a permanent solution once and for all.
“I think this is good,” Argueta told NBC News in Spanish. “Now, we have to trust that, yes, it will go through.”

Related
NEWS
Immigrants protected in U.S. for decades face another year of uncertainty
Argueta, born in El Salvador, is one of approximately 325,000 people in the U.S. who have TPS status and could eventually become U.S. citizens if the new legislation is eventually passed. Salvadorans were eligible for TPS status in 2001 after an earthquake devastated the country.
The bill also provides a citizenship pathway to thousands of Liberians who have been granted Deferred Enforced Departure, known as DED, which is not considered an immigration status but shields a designated population from deportation.
“I ask lawmakers to please keep us in their conscience, and that they give us immigration reform. It is time. We deserve it. We’ve been contributing for a long time and we’ve been paying our taxes like everybody else,” Argueta, who is also a member of the 32BJ SEIU workers union, said.
Pelosi spoke during a press conference announcing the new legislation.
“We look forward to a strong bipartisan vote to pass this bill,” she said.

Recommended

NEWSLori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman among 50 charged in college admissions scheme

TECHThe World Wide Web is 30 years old — and its inventor has a warning for us
If passed, the bill will also bring protections to people like Jessica Garcia, who is one of about 800,000 Dreamers who have DACA status, which allows young undocumented immigrants like her who were brought to the U.S. as children to work and study without fear of deportation.
“This is bill is not about dreams, but about realities,” said García, 21, who is also a member of CHIRLA, an advocacy group that works to defend the human and civil rights of immigrants and refugees. “I’m asking Congress to pass a permanent solution that would permanently protect people like me.”
According to Roybal-Allard, the bill would provide lawful permanent status to immigrants who were brought to the U.S. at age 17 or younger who are employed, in higher education or in the military. It would also give those who already are DACA recipients access to in-state college tuition, federal student aid and a pathway to citizenship.
"My experience as a young person of diverse background makes me a strong, passionate and determined U.S. citizen in waiting," said García, who considers herself "as American as 'The Star-Spangled Banner,' but with a proud Oaxacan heritage.”
Veláquez agreed.
“She is an American in every sense but on paper, and today is the day that we're going to start reversing that,” Velázquez said about García.
Amid a round of applause, Hoyer closed out the press conference saying that "as the majority leader, I am here to pledge that this bill is going to be on the floor."
FOLLOW NBC LATINO ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.
Nicole Acevedo
Nicole Acevedo is a staff reporter at NBC News Digital where she reports, writes and produces content for NBC Latino.

Malodorous Merkin

Musky
kiwifarms.net
Good. DACA recipients, especially the younger ones, don't really have a choice in their parents bringing them into the US. They deserve to enjoy the fruits of becoming a legal citizen. I'd hope to also see the inhumane caging of children and mothers at the border to end.
What would be your solution to “inhumane caging?” Building luxury detainment facilities? Free range deatainees? Catch and release? Don’t bother catching at all?

SiccDicc

Ratatatatatatatatatat!
kiwifarms.net
What would be your solution to “inhumane caging?” Building luxury detainment facilities? Free range deatainees? Catch and release? Don’t bother catching at all?
Obviously we strap them to lawn chairs and leave them in the sun.

Honestly, though, that system ensures we're matching them up with parents and not traffickers. If we lose track of the children, they're gone, they're rarely seen again. Hell, the facilities have clean sheets, air conditioning and television along with three meals a day. The only time it actually got bad and they were in cages was under Obama, although that might have changed since given the media's encouragement of illegal immigration and there may be similar circumstances now due to increased efforts on the part of illegals. Anyways, it might be like a prison, but it beats the outcome of being homeless or a child prostitute. At least Trump wanted more money to build proper detention centers instead of improvised gymnasium cages.

I'm more curious if this will pass the Senate. Republicans have been pretty iffy lately and even then I imagine Trump will veto it and say, "I offered this deal earlier, you said no. Guess what I'm gonna say?" I have no ill will toward DACA recipients, shit's hard and they had no option for citizenship because of that atrocious law. I just don't like the signal this new bill sends.

moocow

Moo.
kiwifarms.net
Good. DACA recipients, especially the younger ones, don't really have a choice in their parents bringing them into the US. They deserve to enjoy the fruits of becoming a legal citizen. I'd hope to also see the inhumane caging of children and mothers at the border to end.

Y'know, @Dynastia is the only one I've ever seen who's actually good at this.

ETA: Well played :)

Last edited:

Dynastia

woman respecter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

SuperDeeDuper

it's a show stoppin' Zany kind of popcorn!
kiwifarms.net
Today the House decided to out forth a new bill, known as HR 6, that will give DACA and TPS recipients a path to citizenship. You might remember Trump promising a solution on DACA for the wall but Pelosi and Schumer said no. Now the Pelosi has decided to ram a bill through with the added bonus of TPS being included because Trump is trying to take that away.
and our clown president, donald glumpf the fake right-winger, will sign this with glee in yet another attempt to win favor from people who hate him and will always hate him

don't think the GOP senate won't pass this, most neo-cons talk about a 'path to citizenship' too because they love immigrants for cheap labor. they will do whatever makes their corporate masters happy. same reason why trump came out at CPAC and said that he wants 'more legal immigrants than ever before.'

two words: 'cheap labor.' h1b pajeets come in here to do tech jobs so silicon valley megacorporations can make a little more money than they would if they employed actual americans. whether it's high-skilled labor or low-skilled labor, immigrant workers will accept less compensation in exchange for a golden ticket into the country, and the government is happy to sanction it because everyone with the power to expand these programs is on the take from these same corporations. wal-mart and mcdonald's love the low-skilled labor, google and apple love the high-skilled labor, just so long as they don't have to pay decent wages to people who were born here.

more workers in the pool of available labor also helps sustain the already-massive surplus of labor, which also helps to suppress wages across the board on top of the lower pay that immigrants are individually willing to accept. if there were a deficit of labor, employers would be in the position of having to be more generous with prospective employees. under a labor deficit, corporations have to compete with each other for employees. under a labor surplus (like we have now and have had for decades), employees have to compete with each other for employment.

these are big reasons why real wage growth has been basically flat for the last 50 years. screw the american worker as long as some rich asshole gets to be a little more rich than he would have been anyway. that is american economics in 2019.

DACA recipients...don't really have a choice in their parents bringing them into the US
who gives a shit? everybody is born into something that they didn't get a say in, that doesn't make anybody entitled to anything. i didn't ask to be born into a system where i have to pay taxes so that other people can sponge off of the system and be a net drain on everything. i didn't ask to pay for murderers and rapists who cost $50k per annum to keep in prison, but here we are. where's my get out of taxes free card? nowhere.

if their parents cared about them they wouldn't have brought them here illegally. fuck them and their parents.

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Now the Pelosi has decided to ram a bill through with the added bonus of TPS being included because Trump is trying to take that away.
nd our clown president, donald glumpf the fake right-winger, will sign this with glee in yet another attempt to win favor from people who hate him and will always hate him
One of these is not like the other. Why even bother with a wall if that were really his attitude toward immigration? Just let them in and pass out social security cards as the caravan hordes in.

SuperDeeDuper

it's a show stoppin' Zany kind of popcorn!
kiwifarms.net
Can’t wait to see Neocon Don to sign this bill in hopes that he really sticks it to the libs.
nothing would surprise me at this point.
One of these is not like the other. Why even bother with a wall if that were really his attitude toward immigration? Just let them in and pass out social security cards as the caravan hordes in.
the wall is just him trying to keep a campaign promise, it doesn't mean anything and is just empty words. he knows it will not happen, but he keeps trying to lie about it and claim that repairing existing barriers counts as 'building the wall.'
also, read my post again: trump never promised to stop 'immigration,' he promised to stop illegal immigration. on the broader issue, he is the same as any neo-con. if you go back and look at his past attempts to secure wall funding, every attempt at a deal involved him offering amnesty for DACA recipients. he doesn't care about the number of people coming in or their effect on working americans, he cares about having them sign the right pieces of paper before they come in.

so even if he really does build the wall, it is totally irrelevant to his statements on wanting 'more legal immigration than ever.'

Dracula's Spirit Animal

One time, I accidentally ate a bunch of nails
kiwifarms.net
I suspect it will pass the senate. The shutdown and the 2018 election seem to have taken a lot of that fight out of them, IMO. Trump is really spending his term banging a head against the establishment wall by himself, although there have been a few cracks here and there. I don't think he'll sign it though, without the wall, but shit, he was willing to make that deal before, and I think the democrats may take it next time around.

Vorhtbame

Dame Pumpernickel the Crusty
kiwifarms.net
It's not the DACA that's the really questionable bit of this; it's the TPS recipients--Temporary Protected Status. These are people who are supposed to go home when conditions improve. They've been allowed to remain provisionally until then, and were made aware up front they were not on a path to citizenship, because they allegedly want to go home. But now the Dems want to go, "Fuck it, here's your vote!"

La Luz Extinguido

There are no innocents
kiwifarms.net
Really? Illegal immigrants streaming across the border completely unchecked sounds like a good idea?
It's cheaper than building a multi billion dollar wall while narcs get inside through different ways completely undeterred.

But if you want feel free to donate here https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall it might get close to the goal before Trump finishes his second presidency.

La Luz Extinguido

There are no innocents
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't the wall being put several feet into the dirt too? You can't have a freestanding concrete wall without foundation or else it'll just fall over.
It's easier to dig 1 inch of ground than to fill it concrete, also I want to remind you rats can sneakily pierce small holes on walls to invade with their kind and offspring.

Only the dumbfuck ones will get stopped for the media circus entertainment for both political (autistic) spectrums.

And then again this is what cartels want, enjoy spending billions of dollars that Mexico ain't paying.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino