How big is a mansion? -

4str4staleatherbelt

AHHHHHH!
kiwifarms.net
Is it the size of the house that matters more or the price? This has been a big subject of debate recently. Logisticians will tell you any house 5000sqft and above is a mansion. Others, Dickshielders, will tell you even houses half this size are mansions so long as the house costs over a million dollars. What do you think?

Bland Crumbs

You Must Pick One or the Other
kiwifarms.net
In modern terms I would say any house of sufficient size and cost would be a mansion.

Cost alone cannot be used as a determining factor. You could put a mobile home on an expensive lot and it would still be a mobile home. Nicer recreational vehicles can cost in excess of a million dollars but I doubt anyone considers those mansions. Well perhaps the person from the mobile home.

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
Now that is a good question. I think it's an overplay of both. For example US Mc Mansions are big, but they lack the prestige due to not being in a fancy part of the town and having depreciating value. A big suburban house is just a big suburban house. Frankly they are amateurish in their design.

I don't think that there is precise size definition because some mansions are basically small palaces. I would say it was more of a cultural thing to call your residence a mansion in the post civil war UK or the US instead of a palace or castle. Also needs change because it think you would have less permanent staff nowadays ie cooks, chauffeur and maids you can just have them show up with their car and clean your house without needing to give them their own place to live.

2020Suicide

Homecoming King
kiwifarms.net
I already argued this with everyone in the Dick thread. we firmly established because of overinflated prices in areas like NYC and SF you can't go based on value or else a fucking 100sqft studio apartment with no AC or elevator would be considered a mansion.

TL;DR 1400 < 5000

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I think it also depends on the city, like what would be considered a larger suburban home in most parts of the United States would be considered a "mansion" in Tokyo due to the limited amount of land available within the city, not that there aren't a few really big houses in central Tokyo that would be considered mansions anywhere in the world but those are owned by the ultra-wealthy, not just the comfortably rich like the smaller mansions.

• Agree
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Marco Fucko

Read Terra Formars 😁
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mansions are fucking big and require servants. They are owned by the landed elite, the upper echelon of society. The vestigial remnants of old world aristocracy, politicians, executives of companies that own companies that own companies, entertainers paid millions to pretend they aren't coerced into sucking dick to afford their coke and gucci.

It doesn't matter how expensive a dwelling is, if it's some fucked up surf shack down in SoCal it's obviously going to be more expensive than an estate in Texas. Dick bragging about owning a million dollar home in California is like a yuppie bragging about owning a luxury rebadge of a compact sedan.

Liber Pater

Haha racecar go VROOM
kiwifarms.net
Generally speaking, 8,000-10,000 sq ft and above. If you adjust for the fact that LA homes are ~83% of the floor area of an average American home, then 6,000-7,000 sq ft would be the local equivalent. In fact, for LA, I would probably even include 5,000-6,000 sq ft homes in my definition provided that they look "grand" or prestigious/impressive in some way (these subjective criteria are probably actually more relevant than strict square footage cutoffs anyway).
However, once you start getting into ~4,000-5,000 and below, it becomes very difficult to make the home look grandiose or imposing regardless of its surroundings/nearby points of comparison. The concept of a "mansion" is not entirely defined relative to its surroundings, but in large part defined by the personal experiences/visual memories of the individuals viewing the property. If someone has grown up admiring massive neoclassical-style country homes, then they will probably use the size and architectural styles of those buildings as a frame of reference when evaluating if other structures are "grand-looking" or "unusually large" enough to qualify as a mansion.

Last edited:

Pepito

Trust me, I'm white
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From https://www.sold.com/real-estate-tips-advice/what-qualifies-as-a-mansion

Here are a few things a mansion should have, in addition to its square footage.
  • Extravagant grounds. It’s generally expected that a mansion be surrounded by rolling greenery, hiking trails, gatehouses, benches, small ponds, etc. The overall appearance of the lawn and grounds should be immaculate.
  • Leisure space. It’s also anticipated that a mansion have plenty of space set aside for leisure, whether that means an in-house movie theater, a fully equipped gym, or a generous indoor spa area. In historic mansions, the leisure space may be more like a greenhouse, library, or music room.
  • Places to entertain. If you wanted to have a large social gathering, your mansion should accommodate it! That means having spaces set aside to entertain such as a billiards room, a ballroom, or simply some big areas in which people can congregate and mingle.
  • High-end materials. Finally note that mansions are expected to be built from the most lavish and high-quality materials. With a true mansion, the workmanship should never appear shoddy or second-rate.
The bottom line: A mansion tends to be quite a large home, but that’s not the only requirement. In order to call your property a mansion, you also want to make sure it exudes luxury, elegance, and comfort. This is all important to keep in mind whether you’re looking to buy a mansion or get one sold.

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

inexplicable ethos

kiwifarms.net
When I hear someone call their house a "mansion", I usually assume:

1. It's over 10,000 square feet total
2. It is on at least one full acre of land, preferably more but at least one acre should be kept lawn/outbuildings
3. The house is high quality and was individually designed and built by somebody, not just slapped together from a generic home design (i.e., McMansions don't really count)
4. The house/grounds require at least one employee to maintain (not necessarily full time, but preferably)
5. The house/grounds should be clean, well kept and maintained (unless the owner is a suitably reclusive eccentric, in which case I'll give them a pass for style)

This is probably a lot more stringent than the technical definition of "mansion", but I feel like with the rise of lame-ass pseudo-mansions and the skyrocketing cost of housing in some places it helps to be more discerning.

Absolute Brainlet

Local demon pimp shitposting on New Zealand forum
kiwifarms.net
I will only classify your residence as a mansion if it has (at least) 1000 rooms and (at least) 13 monsters

Reactions: Wannock

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The "as long as it's over a million dollars" argument makes no sense. A million-dollar house in most states is a pretty fancy home. In commiefornia it's a shack next to a crack house. Likewise, home prices vary dramatically over time.
calhouse.PNG

tenhouse.PNG

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Ever placed resident evil? They don't call it the Spencer mansion foe nothing hell even Luigi had a fucking mansion

Tags
None