How did you find out Phil in the first place? -

I discovered him when he was posted on 4chan dunking on people in street fighter 4. Id never seen someone so good at fighting games back then and I guess a lot of people were the same as that’s when his popularity took off

One of my drunk college friends was a fan of his: he pinged me over one of this videos where he dropped the n-bomb, and he thought it was "hilarious" how DSP would fail and rage. Thought "Nah, not cool." and never thought of him again. It wasn't until ItsAGundam mentioned him and I went "Why does that name sound so familiar?" and it was back down the DSP lore. It's been a deep dive into the lore ever since.

A thread on a gaming forward that mentioned a Youtube personality cranking one out on stream. I've still never watched any of his published content but enjoy the detractor scene and watching the train wreck from afar. I'll still never wrap my head around why he gained popularity in the first place, but then again, I don't watch a lot of let's play content in the first place.

I stumbled upon his "Top worst *whatever it was* of 2013" video but didn't see his name(it was around 2013 or 2014, I think). I watched a little bit of it but clicked away. I then saw "Colonel, I didn't manage to avoid drowning" and later "This Is How You DON'T Play MGS2" and it all spiraled downward from there. 2013 to 2017 DSP was a wild ride for me.

twattycake

True & Honest Fan
To echo what others have said I first found him through the TIHDYP and Let's Endure of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 in 2014.

Phil's also the cow who brought me to the Farms: I saw all of drgn's jokes about him having gout, I googled "DSP gout" to see what the backstory there was, and his thread was one of the top results (this was back in 2016 so before we got unpersoned by all the major search engines). By incredible, happy coincidence this was about one and a half months before he earned his place in Internet history as "the guy" so I got to be here for that too :) .

OverlySensitive

Give her a pill
A friend of mine was getting razzed by our buddies while playing a fighting game and some started calling him DSP.....No one would really say who Phil was when I asked other than laughing and saying go look you know "the guy" which I didn't understand at the time....

Well, Phil is the guy for literally everything.

was looking for a walkthrough of that shitty chronicles of riddick game(not the prison one) and saw his video. was ok. but it was the fact that he didnt limit his uploads to 1-3 vids per day that was appealing. he was still cringy but seeing him rage was good

I was looking up old ItsAGundam videos and every now and again he would mention DSP and I would think who the hell is that. Anyway I then came across one Gundam video where he described the whole Machinma/Lateveria/Kurse drama, got a good laugh from that and then got recommended the down the rabbit hole on Phil and thought no one could be this bad all the time.

Out of morbid curiosity I decided to check out DSP's playthrough of RE2R, decided that Phil is truly stupid, his chat is retarded and been a detractor ever since.

Trappin in the Trap

You really let the abyss stare back unto you? Ew.
Around 4 years ago, one of my friends showed me the video of Phil jerking off and we had a good laugh about it. Probably a year or so later, I got recommended an SoK video on YT, it was bit before Leanna left him, I followed them until Fred went nuclear like an autistic Godzilla. I then forgot about Phil until I got recommended Tevin's video on Phil's email convo with SuperMeatBoy about his figures.

Basically it was Youtube's fault for being so fucking toxic towards DSP. There was nothing I could do, I got pulled into the cesspool of toxicity!

A few years ago I had a gaming friend who unironically recommended DSP as a great gamer and person. My friend said he admired DSP's work ethic, because DSP faced a lot of hardships and setbacks, but was able to keep going and making gaming his career.

I looked up DSP's name on Youtube, and found a bunch of detractor videos. Some were just videos of people complaining about DSP's bad behavior. Others were "This Is How You Don't Play" and "DSP Tries It", showing off clips of his awful gameplay and cooking videos with commentary. I became a detractor, and started thinking that my friend has a bit of a bad mindset when it comes to judging people based on their perseverance.

A few years ago I had a gaming friend who unironically recommended DSP as a great gamer and person. My friend said he admired DSP's work ethic, because DSP faced a lot of hardships and setbacks, but was able to keep going and making gaming his career.

I looked up DSP's name on Youtube, and found a bunch of detractor videos. Some were just videos of people complaining about DSP's bad behavior. Others were "This Is How You Don't Play" and "DSP Tries It", showing off clips of his awful gameplay and cooking videos with commentary. I became a detractor, and started thinking that my friend has a bit of a bad mindset when it comes to judging people based on their perseverance.
Does your friend still like/talk about him? Does he know how you feel about him? I love to hear stories about unironic fans, theyre so fascinating in a psych assessment kind of way

Does your friend still like/talk about him? Does he know how you feel about him? I love to hear stories about unironic fans, theyre so fascinating in a psych assessment kind of way
I haven't talked to him in years. I never told him how I felt, because DSP never came up in conversation after I looked him up.

My friend, he works independently, and believes in working hard to get what you want. He sees Phil as a big success, because Phil somehow keeps continuing his career, when so many setbacks could have ended it. My friend isn't a wheelchair or anything. He tries to keep a positive mindset, and celebrates when good things happen. I think he just blocks out anything negative about Phil and celebrates when he is successful. Phil isn't the only person he watches though.