How Do We Stop Americans From Kililing Each Other? - Yes It's A Poll Thread

Do We, Ban Guns?

• Total voters

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A number of things to consider. First, some rehashing. If you don't live in a high-crime inner city/ghetto area, your chances of being killed are pretty low. The definition of "mass shooting" is as low as two or three victims. Gun laws only affect the law-abiding. If you're a criminal, you don't care about any gun laws. And keep in mind that every shooter, not just a mass shooter, either got the gun legally or got it some other way. Gun control laws don't work.

Agree more mental health facilities are needed. Too many living on the streets and in jail who should really be hospitalized.

Some other thoughts. Believe there have always been mass shootings, to varying extents. But today's predatory 24/7/365 news cycle, needing content, provides a great deal of publicity of these shootings and very likely instigates some "me-too" shootings, such as in Dayton last night. Way back when coverage was limited and didn't last long. Now we'll have orgasms of coverage of the shootings, the grieving, the funerals, etc. There are people out there that get off on that stuff and figure they'll do the same. I advocate a limited amount of coverage and no naming of the shooter.

The USA is rather different than most, if not all other countries. We weren't granted our independence. We fought for it and with the help of the French defeated the British. It was the armed citizen who fought for freedom, along with the newborn Continental Army. And Americans as a group have a healthy skepticism about government, don't trust it that much.

Our Constitution consequently guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. Have heard some say since people just had muskets then, that's all they should have now. Bullshit. By that standard of logic, the First Amendment would cover only things handwritten, printed on a hand printing press, or spoken aloud. These rights cover all applications, then, now, and in the future.

Also believe the national level of anger is pretty high. But the national level of anger has been high before without so many mass shootings. I also see many of those who use weapons in the commissions of crimes get nothing more than a slap on the wrist - IF they are caught, and IF they don't take a plea-bargain. So in the eyes of too many, there is little downside to using a gun to shoot someone, for whatever reason. Maybe strictly enforcing the punishments on the books for crimes where a gun is used would deter people from whipping out that weapon. And maybe people need to develop more self-control and remember that human lives are worth something. Don't know how to make that happen. Don't have all the answers. But if I can tell myself "no" to whatever, don't see why anyone else can't do the same.

CKC

kiwifarms.net
A number of things to consider. First, some rehashing. If you don't live in a high-crime inner city/ghetto area, your chances of being killed are pretty low. The definition of "mass shooting" is as low as two or three victims. Gun laws only affect the law-abiding. If you're a criminal, you don't care about any gun laws. And keep in mind that every shooter, not just a mass shooter, either got the gun legally or got it some other way. Gun control laws don't work.

Agree more mental health facilities are needed. Too many living on the streets and in jail who should really be hospitalized.

Some other thoughts. Believe there have always been mass shootings, to varying extents. But today's predatory 24/7/365 news cycle, needing content, provides a great deal of publicity of these shootings and very likely instigates some "me-too" shootings, such as in Dayton last night. Way back when coverage was limited and didn't last long. Now we'll have orgasms of coverage of the shootings, the grieving, the funerals, etc. There are people out there that get off on that stuff and figure they'll do the same. I advocate a limited amount of coverage and no naming of the shooter.

The USA is rather different than most, if not all other countries. We weren't granted our independence. We fought for it and with the help of the French defeated the British. It was the armed citizen who fought for freedom, along with the newborn Continental Army. And Americans as a group have a healthy skepticism about government, don't trust it that much.

Our Constitution consequently guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. Have heard some say since people just had muskets then, that's all they should have now. Bullshit. By that standard of logic, the First Amendment would cover only things handwritten, printed on a hand printing press, or spoken aloud. These rights cover all applications, then, now, and in the future.

Also believe the national level of anger is pretty high. But the national level of anger has been high before without so many mass shootings. I also see many of those who use weapons in the commissions of crimes get nothing more than a slap on the wrist - IF they are caught, and IF they don't take a plea-bargain. So in the eyes of too many, there is little downside to using a gun to shoot someone, for whatever reason. Maybe strictly enforcing the punishments on the books for crimes where a gun is used would deter people from whipping out that weapon. And maybe people need to develop more self-control and remember that human lives are worth something. Don't know how to make that happen. Don't have all the answers. But if I can tell myself "no" to whatever, don't see why anyone else can't do the same.
Well said.

Reactions: JosephStalin

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
How you solve any problem? Spare any palliatives and find the cause so you can solve it for real. Banning guns is like putting a band-aid on top of a open wound.

My opinion as a foreigner is that violence in USA has become a big issue in the recent years, and that's way before Trump. Why? I think it's because people are afraid. They're afraid of so many things and I think media is to blame. Trump didn't start any crusade against minorities, but he exposed problems media didn't want to talk about. And media made people be even more afraid of Trump.

Honestly, I think Obama was the worst that could have happened to America: you had a president who was very political correct and acted like a movie star and that made people believe everything was fine. When Trump started to show as an alternative that would speak of real problems, media ran the "everything is racist!" narrative as a cover up for actual problems like lack of good jobs, open immigration, drug usage, and others. The "Left" is scared of Trump and that's why you have violent thugs like Antifa running around. And the "Right" is realising that Trump is right saying how much damaged has been caused in the country and they feel mad and ignored. Also, don't forget that many families are now broken and unstable as well. Thanks, Feminism and Women's Liberation Movements.

What's the solution? Talk about those issues with real experts.

But that ain't gonna happen, so enjoy.

Tism the Return

EI EI OH!
kiwifarms.net
First you take away the guns. Then you take away the knives. Then you take away, I don't know, the forks maybe. From now on if any criminal scum wants to go on a murder spree either they smuggle highly illegal superweapons or learn the blade, no matter what everyone wins in sheer entertainment value.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How you solve any problem? Spare any palliatives and find the cause so you can solve it for real. Banning guns is like putting a band-aid on top of a open wound.

My opinion as a foreigner is that violence in USA has become a big issue in the recent years, and that's way before Trump. Why? I think it's because people are afraid. They're afraid of so many things and I think media is to blame. Trump didn't start any crusade against minorities, but he exposed problems media didn't want to talk about. And media made people be even more afraid of Trump.

Honestly, I think Obama was the worst that could have happened to America: you had a president who was very political correct and acted like a movie star and that made people believe everything was fine. When Trump started to show as an alternative that would speak of real problems, media ran the "everything is racist!" narrative as a cover up for actual problems like lack of good jobs, open immigration, drug usage, and others. The "Left" is scared of Trump and that's why you have violent thugs like Antifa running around. And the "Right" is realising that Trump is right saying how much damaged has been caused in the country and they feel mad and ignored. Also, don't forget that many families are now broken and unstable as well. Thanks, Feminism and Women's Liberation Movements.

What's the solution? Talk about those issues with real experts.

But that ain't gonna happen, so enjoy.
You have something here.

Agree many people are not just afraid, but angry and frustrated with their lives. Would say many, if not most people have little to no control of what happens in their lives. They stress about their jobs, their finances or lack thereof, their families, and whatever other individual demons are hurting them.

Tying into the anger and control thing, just about the only place where many people have any control over their lives is when they are behind the wheel. You see more "road rage" now than ever before. People resent any interference in their driving. You'll see the passive-aggressiveness of "brake checks". Never saw this until maybe the last 5-10 years. Am surprised more drivers don't pull out weapons and shoot the other driver during a "road rage" incident. Have seen it on YouTube once or twice.

Agree the mainstream media stirs up a lot of trouble. Hungry for content to feed that 24/7/365 jones, the MSM often overdoes their coverage to get those eyes and get those clicks. But thanks to the Internet, people now have many alternatives to the MSM. Personally agree with President Trump that the MSM is the enemy of the people. In my opinion, the MSM did their very best to ensure a Hillary win. When Hillary lost, the MSM instantly started vilifying Trump, starting right after it was announced he'd won. They haven't stopped. Trump calls them out at every opportunity and lets them know what pieces of shit they are.

Far as Obama goes, he liked being President but don't believe he liked doing the job. He and his regime did a great deal to divide the country, racially and politically. Outside of Obamacare and the Iran nuclear deal am hard-pressed to think of anything useful he did. His wife was a real piece of work, too, fucking with kids' school lunches and generally making her dislike, if not outright hatred of anyone who wasn't black very obvious. Worst President ever.

President Trump is no choir boy. Don't agree with everything he says/does. But it's very clear he puts America and Americans first. Trump makes mistakes, but he puts in the effort. The Left hates his putting America first, and we see that through the MSM's coverage of this Administration. President Trump has the Left and the MSM playing his game - he makes an outrageous tweet, the Left/MSM go nuts, he makes another one, rinse, repeat. But if you are looking, he's getting things done. So far, close to 150 Federal judges appointed and confirmed. The dialogue with North Korea is a biggie. We're talking with them, they're talking with us. Process here will take many years, but it's been started. And when you get down to it the American people know President Trump has no intention of taking their guns.

Tags
None