How do you meet new people these days? - A discussion of modern friendship and romance in the age of technology.

Kiomei

Jackass of All Trades
kiwifarms.net
It seems these days that the social barriers have only grown immensely stronger in the past ten years, so I wanted to pose a question to anyone willing to talk about it, guys/girls/whatever. What do you do to meet new friends and lovers these days? Do you just go out and talk to some person on the street, ask for their number or to hang out? Is it just a work thing with co-workers and the occasional client/customer that meets you halfway in interest? What about a public setting like malls or bars, or jeez, the beach? Do you prefer just social media and dating apps? How do you make friends online then?

I wanted to get people's opinion and understanding on these types of issues, and if I'm just an odd person for feeling that way because it's something that I struggle with.

(I'm going to disregard school/college, should be obvious why)

Cato

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Outside of school and work, all you need to do is have at least one hobby requiring you to get out of the house (e.g. a sport that you attend practices/competitions for) and not be a total spastic in how you interact with others there since you'll already have at least one interest in common with them.

Exceptional Mafioso

kiwifarms.net
I refuse to meet people on the internet. It's almost always second-rate and not worthwhile.

Go to a bar and start talking to people. Go to the grocery store and start talking to people. You noticing the pattern here? Just go places and start talking to people. Some people will think you are weird and give you the cold shoulder. Most people will have a friendly conversation with you and then you probably won't ever see them again. And a few people will ask you what's up and maybe try to meet someone new as well. Just get out there and do it.

Whatever you do, don't let a machine try to do it for you. Get out there and get talking to people. You'll find them but you have to put yourself out there. And the vast majority of people (even good looking, successful people) are scared to death of putting themselves out there. We're being conditioned to have all decisions made for us by someone off-site.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
Drugs, music, dating apps, bars, work, random chance. Just find ways to put yourself out there and engage with folks and by and by some good stuff should happen.

Reactions: TheUltimatePickle

Kiomei

Jackass of All Trades
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I figured as much for that. But, if you're working a lot and don't really have time for hobbies outside of gaming or stuff online, it seems like unless you hit it off at work with someone or online, you're doomed to be on your own. Especially with severe social anxiety.

EDIT: Also probably doesn't help if you're not a likeable person :story:

Crippled Eagle

Top Floppy Slotter 1977
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It seems these days that the social barriers have only grown immensely stronger in the past ten years, so I wanted to pose a question to anyone willing to talk about it, guys/girls/whatever. What do you do to meet new friends and lovers these days? Do you just go out and talk to some person on the street, ask for their number or to hang out? Is it just a work thing with co-workers and the occasional client/customer that meets you halfway in interest? What about a public setting like malls or bars, or jeez, the beach? Do you prefer just social media and dating apps? How do you make friends online then?

I wanted to get people's opinion and understanding on these types of issues, and if I'm just an odd person for feeling that way because it's something that I struggle with.

(I'm going to disregard school/college, should be obvious why)
Join a group related to a hobby.

Do you like boardgames? There are free boardgame nights at most community centers and churches or schools. Sports? Join a sports club. Guns? Gun club. Cooking? Many community centers offer very cheap cooking and baking classes of various skill level that run 1-2 nights a week for several weeks. (Protip: the baking classes are like, 70% young women in my experience).

There's even online groups that are literally for meeting people. If you Google "your city" social groups you're going to get probably dozens of free Google hangouts groups that meet up a few times a month for drinks or bowling or whatever. Oh, bowling. Join an amateur beer league. Play bowling for cheap and win free beer.

Crippled Eagle

Top Floppy Slotter 1977
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I figured as much for that. But, if you're working a lot and don't really have time for hobbies outside of gaming or stuff online, it seems like unless you hit it off at work with someone or online, you're doomed to be on your own. Especially with severe social anxiety.

Yeah shocker, exceptional individual, if you don't go out to do stuff around people you'll never meet people. Also how the fuck do you have time to take and not for bowling or something? Sounds more like you're just a lazy fuck.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net

Gaming is bad and you should stop or apply limits. Or not. But with limited time and what not, put as much as you can towards your life and not fake one.

It isn’t that easy and you have to make time for yourself alone to have fun and do what you want. Maybe stop approaching gaming as a hobby and more just something fun to kill some time a here and there.

Kiomei

Jackass of All Trades
kiwifarms.net
Yeah shocker, exceptional individual, if you don't go out to do stuff around people you'll never meet people. Also how the fuck do you have time to take and not for bowling or something? Sounds more like you're just a lazy fuck.
Yeah, probably can't deny that. It's a lot of things that prevents me from going into openly public environments like that, but I can't really say I've ever been good at bowling personally.

YourMommasBackstory

it's gay
kiwifarms.net
I work at the bar so every day i see new people who comes here to chat. Many of our regulars became friends with bartender and waiters. So, if you want to find a friends at a bar, just sit down, get some drink and chat with people who sit near you, 90% they would want to talk to you.

Kiomei

Jackass of All Trades
kiwifarms.net
I work at the bar so every day i see new people who comes here to chat. Many of our regulars became friends with bartender and waiters. So, if you want to find a friends at a bar, just sit down, get some drink and chat with people who sit near you, 90% they would want to talk to you.
Sure, that sounds reasonable enough.

Yuusha-sama

Protector of voluptuous tights
kiwifarms.net
Do you have any outside hobby?
I have enough friends, but if I want to meet new people I often go to parks and talk to people with similar interest like martial arts, gymnastics, or sport in general, btw great way to get numbers from chicks if you're somewhat capable in what your doing.
I love Anime and Manga, but often are these people in anime and manga hangouts far too autistic for me.

Kiomei

Jackass of All Trades
kiwifarms.net
Start smoking cigarettes so you have an excuse to insert yourself into groups of smokers.
Can't use that excuse anymore, I quit.

Do you have any outside hobby?
I have enough friends, but if I want to meet new people I often go to parks and talk to people with similar interest like martial arts, gymnastics, or sport in general, btw great way to get numbers from chicks if you're somewhat capable in what your doing.
I love Anime and Manga, but often are these people in anime and manga hangouts far too autistic for me.
No. I work from home and I left all my athleticism back in high school.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino