How does one accept the idea of "Eternal Oblivion?" - "Eternal Oblivion," AKA the idea that there is nothing after death

tumblrkek

never gonna make it
kiwifarms.net
I don't adhere to any religion out there but I have the inexplicable feeling that there might be something after death. Reincarnation, go back to a Source of all things, be reunited with a god? I guess I was pretty influenced by all that fiction I consume on that regard. I hope there's something good to discover, but at the end of the day it's all wishful thinking. At worst, I won't be there anymore to be disappointed.

I think the law of attraction is proof that something exists. So an afterlife is likely too. But I hope it's not a boring 9 to 5 office job in god's realm. ?
If there's an afterlife, my fear would be to lose my indivuality, it's such an abstract and frightening concept to think about.

ApatheticViewer

kiwifarms.net
Personally I always found the idea very freeing. If there was an afterlife I'd tear myself apart trying to please god or appease karma. Running to church to pray. Heaven would make me too anxious

But now I know there's zero worry at all. I could sit in bed all day or go rock climbing. Every life amounts to the same thing so getting bogged down in worrying or fear is stupid. I know one day I'll die. I probably have 50 something years at most. And then I'll return to nothingness. No effect on the world and everyone will forget me in time. I'm okay with that

Just shut up and enjoy the little things. I was in a hot tub in Cozumel sipping a White Russian staring at bikinis. That's how I spend time waiting for the abyss.

Nothing matters fuck all

Last edited:

God of Nothing

kiwifarms.net
Existing forever is horrifying. I couldn't comprehend the idea of heaven back when I was still religious and fucking ten. We would do all the things we'd like and ever wanted to until we got bored with everything and existence itself. Oblivion is a mercy in comparison to an eternity of apathy, pain, or happiness.

Of course, the problem with Oblivion is that we can't imagine it being something that exists. None of us will know if there will be an afterlife or oblivion until we get there, though. Oblivion is the exception 'cause you'll be nothing.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
You don't have to accept it or make peace with it. I don't see why people care - just block it out and focus on other things.

Deluding yourself is just harmful though. For millenia people have wasted their money donating to Churches and elite castes to save them from hellish afterlifes and the abyss.

Oddly enough, Christianity didn't even really have a concept of hell until the last few centuries and certain sects like the 7th Day Adventists and Jehova's Witnesses never had it in their canon. In those two above sects you have people working like slaves for pennies to avoid an abyss they can't escape. Wasting what limited time they have.

The Fool

kiwifarms.net
A lot of people seem to assume this is a question of stimulus - I see a lot of posts assuring OP they "won't feel anything". I don't think that's the concern here, and I'm sure you're all aware of that on some level.

I think the concern here is preservation of existence - at our base instincts, we're hard-wired to desire self-preservation. The concept of the absolute antithesis of it, eternal oblivion, where we cannot make any choices or actions, cannot modify the world any longer, allowing it to melt into a potential state of unknowability to us without any input from us, is extremely dreadful. This doesn't sound much different from being completely, permanently disabled, does it? What's the difference between actual death and living death? There isn't much, not to our preservation instincts anyway.

The concern here is the preservation of your personality, your will, your ego. First and foremost, we were designed to procreate. Our brains developed to see our kin as an extension of ourselves, our second bodies. If they deviate from our will, we don't just get disappointed, we have an existential crisis. Some stranger troons out? lol enjoy fucking your body up. Your own kid troons out? It makes you wonder if maybe you yourself are severely dysfunctional in some way, it's just downright depressing.

So, what are you? Lets start with an extreme example. Lets say scientists found out the universe isn't in a constant state of flux, but rather, for every movement of planck time, the universe is destroyed and recreated as an exact copy of itself plus one movement of planck time. You die every single second and are replaced with a new version of yourself made of entirely new matter, but this body retains all thoughts, emotions, memories and the will of your past self. Is that a scary thought? Maybe to you it is, maybe it isn't. But at least to a good amount of people, they would be indifferent to the concept. Because "they" aren't "dying", their personalities carry on and they realize the vessel pertaining it isn't of much concern. So, what are you? Are you the whole of yourself, or the whole of your parts? Are you John Doe, or are you a complicated series of concepts threaded together into a personality that's maintained by a sack of meat waddling trough a pool of oxygen molecules? Why are you relaxed around people who enforced your beliefs, while you feel anger or fear around those who oppose your beliefs?

Lets get to a more realistic example. Would you be cool dying if you had a copy of yourself out there in the world? I mean, no, obviously you don't want to die, the fear of the unknown, not being able to comprehend oblivion, is scary to everyone, that's core instincts. But talking about philosophy, being able to reflect on your own will, would you be even a sliver more accepting of death if you knew at least a copy of yourself would continue on, maybe even forever?

In fact, lets do the opposite. Would you rather die, or have your mind wiped? You totally forget who you are, everyone you ever knew, everything you ever stood for. We're not taking into account the basic stuff that makes us up like genes and upbringing and muscle memory. Lets just say you become pure putty. You forget everything and the first person/society you interact with will mold you into a new person. Doesn't matter who they are, if your old self would have agreed with them or hated them. Point is, you're deleted and they're overwriting you. Is that preferable to death? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I'm sure it makes you think, right?

So, who's death are you afraid of more, the death of the concept that is you, or the death of the physical flow of electricity coursing through your neurons? There, I just formatted and atomized the anxieties that your base survival instincts are generating, now you can sort through them to see what parts are useful to you.

the point is to go get laid

Last edited:

OhGoy

shit demon
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people seem to assume this is a question of stimulus - I see a lot of posts assuring OP they "won't feel anything". I don't think that's the concern here, and I'm sure you're all aware of that on some level.

I think the concern here is preservation of existence - at our base instincts, we're hard-wired to desire self-preservation. The concept of the absolute antithesis of it, eternal oblivion, where we cannot make any choices or actions, cannot modify the world any longer, allowing it to melt into a potential state of unknowability to us without any input from us, is extremely dreadful. This doesn't sound much different from being completely, permanently disabled, does it? What's the difference between actual death and living death? There isn't much, not to our preservation instincts anyway.

The concern here is the preservation of your personality, your will, your ego. First and foremost, we were designed to procreate. Our brains developed to see our kin as an extension of ourselves, our second bodies. If they deviate from our will, we don't just get disappointed, we have an existential crisis. Some stranger troons out? lol enjoy fucking your body up. Your own kid troons out? It makes you wonder if maybe you yourself are severely dysfunctional in some way, it's just downright depressing.

So, what are you? Lets start with an extreme example. Lets say scientists found out the universe isn't in a constant state of flux, but rather, for every movement of planck time, the universe is destroyed and recreated as an exact copy of itself plus one movement of planck time. You die every single second and are replaced with a new version of yourself made of entirely new matter, but this body retains all thoughts, emotions, memories and the will of your past self. Is that a scary thought? Maybe to you it is, maybe it isn't. But at least to a good amount of people, they would be indifferent to the concept. Because "they" aren't "dying", their personalities carry on and they realize the vessel pertaining it isn't of much concern. So, what are you? Are you the whole of yourself, or the whole of your parts? Are you John Doe, or are you a complicated series of concepts threaded together into a personality that's maintained by a sack of meat waddling trough a pool of oxygen molecules? Why are you relaxed around people who enforced your beliefs, while you feel anger or fear around those who oppose your beliefs?

Lets get to a more realistic example. Would you be cool dying if you had a copy of yourself out there in the world? I mean, no, obviously you don't want to die, the fear of the unknown, not being able to comprehend oblivion, is scary to everyone, that's core instincts. But talking about philosophy, being able to reflect on your own will, would you be even a sliver more accepting of death if you knew at least a copy of yourself would continue on, maybe even forever?

In fact, lets do the opposite. Would you rather die, or have your mind wiped? You totally forget who you are, everyone you ever knew, everything you ever stood for. We're not taking into account the basic stuff that makes us up like genes and upbringing and muscle memory. Lets just say you become pure putty. You forget everything and the first person/society you interact with will mold you into a new person. Doesn't matter who they are, if your old self would have agreed with them or hated them. Point is, you're deleted and they're overwriting you. Is that preferable to death? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I'm sure it makes you think, right?

So, who's death are you afraid of more, the death of the concept that is you, or the death of the physical flow of electricity coursing through your neurons? There, I just formatted and atomized the anxieties that your base survival instincts are generating, now you can sort through them to see what parts are useful to you.

the point is to go get laid
i don't know if i feel better or worse after reading this, but i certainly feel something

• Feels
Reactions: The Fool

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The conscious awareness of death is part of the human experience and there's not much you can do about it.

According to Ernest Becker in his book the Denial of Death his theory is that depressed people are more likely to focus on their mortality so maybe you should spend more time doing things that make you happy?

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
nothingness is the good shit. it means it doesn't hurt to be dead, you're finished and you don't have to do, or worry about, a damn thing ever again. how amazing and comforting is it to think of that kind of peace, really? it's beautiful.

and it's not just you, it's everything.

like this.

like this.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Apoth42

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
I am not religious. I've met many religious folks who are content with their lot and even happy with the embrace of god. I don't see it, but good for them.

I think there is some kind of afterlife, not much in the way of detail but just a feeling I have. If there isn't one, that's fine. Eternal life is very much the worst kind of torture anyone can possibly fathom. Just endlessly enduring, whether that be in a cloud paradise or a burning hell. Eventually, they're both shit to us.

I'd like to do something helpful for people before I die. Maybe build something people can use or appreciate. Not as a way to be remembered, as we all fade eventually, and a name on a statue or fountain means nothing to those who don't know the man behind it, but just so I could contribute something positive.

If there is nothing after death, accept the rest and peace it brings. No more struggle or bullshit, just peace. It's lovely in a poetic kind of way. I can accept that I think. One thing I'd really like is if I could dream sometime. Not always, but once in a while. Like we're a ball of memories in space. Eternal rest with an occasional dream sounds just fine.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino