How does one accept the idea of "Eternal Oblivion?" - "Eternal Oblivion," AKA the idea that there is nothing after death

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Your acceptance or lack thereof of reality is immaterial.

I come to terms with it by recognizing that it's not something that can be pleaded with or bargained with. It's going to fucking happen. Try not to dwell on it so much that you miss out on your life. Leave something behind worth remembering, because your corpse doesn't qualify.

I'd say you need to learn to accept the contradictory phrase "I will live forever until I die". Congratulations, now you're immortal. And if it ever turns out you aren't actually immortal, you'll be far too dead to notice anyway!

I mean, think back to how stressful your existence was before you were born. I imagine your existence after death will be just as stressful.

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
It's kind of comical to me that people even care or try to "accept" it, as if that changes anything.

Whether you accept it or not, it's going to happen. So it doesn't matter. Focus more on what you have now that what you will lose.

Iwasamwillbe

We are Legion. We are one.
kiwifarms.net
I fear death, even though it is natural, because the fear of death itself is natural.

Anyone who doesn't fear death is either a lunatic or an Übermensch.

However, assuming that there is no form of life, experience, or existence after death, then I expect my post-death "being" to be in a state of perfectly calm nothingness.

Drunk and Pour

kiwifarms.net
I think of it like this. There is so much humanity has learned about the universe, but the more we learn, the more questions arise. We are so far from understanding what reality truly is. We're probably biologically, and even physically, incapable of understanding. I consider myself an optimistic agnostic. I get that there's a possibility that there is nothing after death, but I can't be an atheist because of all the new stuff we discover all the time. We just got our first photographic evidence of a black hole. I think it's reasonable that there could very well be a metaphysical God and afterlife.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Wacky Delly Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I've said it before, but if there's no afterlife, then one couldn't be around to experience the lack of experience, and afterlife believers couldn't know they'd be wrong about the afterlife. In other words, you can believe in an afterlife if you want, and if it turns out there is none, you'd never know you were wrong.

Last edited:

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
There’s no point in speculating about what happens after death because we can’t truly know and it’s inevitable that it will occur anyway. All it does is make you less willing to take risks in life because you’re attempting in vein to avoid death.

There’s no real wisdom to be gleamed from speculating about it and no answers. It’s a hole of circular thinking that doesn’t go anywhere. The only correct move is to not speculate about it in general.

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
Comical?? Acceptance is way better than living in fear.
True, you should always strive for it if possible. I guess what I meant was that "acceptance" has become a buzz word to mean some sort of "fix" and I can't help but feel that's what a lot of people who start looking for it begin to hope. They see it as just another quick fix, which IS comical to me. Because whether or not you accept it or not, nothing about it changes.
Will it change your mindset? Yes. But is that how everyone is really using it? I doubt it.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you believe in multiple universes and quantum immortality, you never really die. You just move from universe to universe, forever. It's the concept that nothing ever ends. There are an infinite number of realities and universes undergoing the big bang and the big tear at the same time along with different worlds in flux.

So it's not an afterlife, not reincarnation. But the fact that there is no end and no beginning. The wheel just turns. Forever.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
If you believe in multiple universes and quantum immortality, you never really die. You just move from universe to universe, forever. It's the concept that nothing ever ends. There are an infinite number of realities and universes undergoing the big bang and the big tear at the same time along with different worlds in flux.

So it's not an afterlife, not reincarnation. But the fact that there is no end and no beginning. The wheel just turns. Forever.
I WANT OFF THE RIDE MR. BONES.

vanilla_pepsi_head

Heavens to Spergatroyd!
kiwifarms.net
I think the whole concept of religion and spirituality still sticks around in the Information Age because it trips people out so bad trying to picture what "absence of consciousness" will be like and difficulty accepting the deaths of others. I don't have any problems with the concept, but then I'm a cynical fuck who's probably blown out most of my neurotransmitters with years of substance abuse so most of the time I rather look forward to it and see life more as finding tolerable ways to kill time until I'm finally dead.

My major fear is ending up profoundly deformed or disabled but alive. I've seen what the nursing home diaper-shitting dementia years look like and no fucking thank you. If that ever happens to me I hope I'm with it enough to have a "morphine accident" so I can leave a proper inheritance instead of losing my entire life's savings paying for a goddamned nursing home.

Ilikeoreos

Child of the 80s (or early 90s at least)
kiwifarms.net
I was raised as Catholic and kinda had a nervous breakdown when I learned that you can go to hell for things like skipping church just once. Protestantism seemed a little better since all you needed to do be saved was accept Jesus, but there were still lots of agnostic people in my life that I cared deeply about and the thought of them not being saved also made me feel sick. My current belief seems to be a mix of christianity and buddhism.

The idea of existing forever did feel scary when I thought about it too hard as a kid, but the idea that it's a higher state of being that we wern't meant to understand does make me feel better. Not existing is the most horrifying thing ever to me and the only thing about it that brings me even the slightest bit of comfort is the idea that I would never know if it happened

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino