How has Subway survived this long? -

Angry Shoes

cold_take_generator.py
kiwifarms.net
Seriously. The cold cuts are shiny, the chicken breast has grill marks painted on, and the 'steak' is basically cat food. How have they kept the lights on this long? Back in the day the $5 footlong was a hell of a deal, but now that it's gone there isn't anything of value left. Is it because people perceive them as """healthy""" because you can add a ton of vegetables?

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Between the few American chains I've eaten at - McDonald's, Burger King and Subway - Subway doesn't taste like rubber and the tears of art students. It's still fucking 'meh,' but it's not 'yikes.' I'm more astounded that American gummyburger chains exist. That stuff makes me cry when I just think how many people eat it and think that's what a burger and fries is supposed to taste like.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Between the few American chains I've eaten at - McDonald's, Burger King and Subway - Subway doesn't taste like rubber and the tears of art students. It's still fucking 'meh,' but it's not 'yikes.' I'm more astounded that American gummyburger chains exist. That stuff makes me cry when I just think how many people eat it and think that's what a burger and fries is supposed to taste like.
Good ol' D-FENS lays the point out pretty well here.

Slappy McGherkin

Let me introduce you to coulrophobia.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You get what you pay for, I suppose. Subway is for crap; haven't eaten there in years and like the OP, have no idea other than "strength in numbers" of their franchises as to how they keep shilling shit sammiches. Jimmy John's just a slightly higher shit notch than Subway.

If I want a sub, I'll dig deeper in my pocket and pay up for Jersey Mike's. They are the real deal. I used to like Quiznos subs, but that chain folded like a cheap JC Penney suit. Haven't seen one around anywhere. Anybody remember the weird-ass Quiznos commercials with the zombie hamster critters?

MasterDisaster

I'm here for the juice, baby.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Back in the day the $5 footlong was a hell of a deal
You answered your own question. Little Caesars was actually going under at one point; they simply couldn't compete with larger pizza chains. In a bid to empty out warehouses of product they introduced the 5$ Hot-N-Ready and popularity sky-rocketed. It turns out when you offer something cheap enough people flock to it; just like how in the early nineties Taco Bell and McDonalds were the forefronts in dollar menus. It doesn't matter about the quality of food; people will eat shit five days a week instead of steak once a week.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
I get a couple of things there plain that are still tasty enough for the price, which is nice when I’m counting calories, and I don’t know if Subway in general treats its employees really well or it’s just a coincidence but every branch I’ve been to in my town has the nicest fucking people staffing it. Maybe it just depends on the store.

Angry Shoes

cold_take_generator.py
kiwifarms.net
Anybody remember the weird-ass Quiznos commercials with the zombie hamster critters?

Holy shit yes. That was one of those late-night commercials that would make you wonder if what you just saw was real.

Shame they went out of business though. They made good sandwiches, but if I remember right they were a bit pricey. You could get one of their subs, or pay a few extra dollars at Penn Station or Jersey Mike's and get a sub that's twice as good.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You answered your own question. Little Caesars was actually going under at one point; they simply couldn't compete with larger pizza chains. In a bid to empty out warehouses of product they introduced the 5$ Hot-N-Ready and popularity sky-rocketed. It turns out when you offer something cheap enough people flock to it; just like how in the early nineties Taco Bell and McDonalds were the forefronts in dollar menus. It doesn't matter about the quality of food; people will eat shit five days a week instead of steak once a week.
Which is why Taco Bell [Pizza Hut] won the franchise wars.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Subway is actually the biggest fast food restaurant chain in the US. It overtook McDonalds recently.

The main reason has to do with branding and marketing. Other fast food restaurants are seen universally as unhealthy dives that you only go to and don't tell anyone you are. It's to the point where companies use very tactile marketing like not using "fried" in any promotions because it instinctively causes the customer to feel bad. This is also why McDonalds food bags are brown in color because it illicits the most neutral gut reaction of any color in relation to the contents inside. (And they did market research to determine this).

guccigash

Greyfriars Jandek
kiwifarms.net
I'm a rare consumer so perhaps not the best commenter, but for some reason all US fast food tastes worse to me than UK. Subway in the UK is actually decent quality but they're hit and miss with hygiene as you can see from regular news stories of rat shit being found wherever.

Most Asian places have McD's right, and they deliver. The best Popeye's I ever had was in HK. Worst KFC is SA which was devastating as it had been buuilt up so much to me. Best is various Asia....so crispy.

edit - i was in a subway in boston once and wanted butter on my sandwich but they didn't get my accent, i had to write it down in the end and they did not have any butter :(

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino