How has Subway survived this long? -

sperginity

everything is terrible
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
you can use food stamps at subway (if they don't cook the sandwich). Papa murphy's is another place you can use food stamps. That's 100% the reason. You can use them on prepared foods that haven't been cooked yet at grocery stores, like in the deli, and it is something of a loophole for subway and take and bake pizza places. I'm really not mad at that, poor people going out to eat at places as shitty as subway is not a luxury that needs to be legislated away.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
you can use food stamps at subway (if they don't cook the sandwich). Papa murphy's is another place you can use food stamps. That's 100% the reason. You can use them on prepared foods that haven't been cooked yet at grocery stores, like in the deli, and it is something of a loophole for subway and take and bake pizza places. I'm really not mad at that, poor people going out to eat at places as shitty as subway is not a luxury that needs to be legislated away.
Nominally agree but I think it behooves them to learn how to shop on a budget, actually plan relatively healthy meals and learn how to cook passably. Subway isn't so cheap that you're getting good mileage out of that taxpayer funded EBT, but if you gotta eat something on the run...

sperginity

everything is terrible
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nominally agree but I think it behooves them to learn how to shop on a budget, actually plan relatively healthy meals and learn how to cook passably. Subway isn't so cheap that you're getting good mileage out of that taxpayer funded EBT, but if you gotta eat something on the run...
I was more thinking about what poor kids families can do to celebrate their birthday or something. maybe get a take and bake pizza or go out to subway. or if they have to take a long trip to visit family and need food on the way. kinda sad but its something. : /

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I was more thinking about what poor kids families can do to celebrate their birthday or something. maybe get a take and bake pizza or go out to subway. or if they have to take a long trip to visit family and need food on the way. kinda sad but its something. : /
Papa Murphy's isn't godawful but a Subway birthday party sounds like the most depressing thing ever.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net
Couple months ago they wanted to charge me £2.50 extra for the privilege of eating the damn thing inside. I could take that shit from maybe Pret a Manger or something, but fucking Subway? Fuck off.

On the other hand, Brazilian Subway's "steak churrasco" with its Lego meat was a guilty pleasure.
Get a sandwich to go, walk outside with the bag, stand in front of the glass door with an unrelenting stare as you eat.

Florence

“This is what I *** to!”
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eh, it's my go-to after a night out, mostly because it's not the extremely dodgy kebab shop.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Dump Tell No Mandy!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You get what you pay for, I suppose. Subway is for crap; haven't eaten there in years and like the OP, have no idea other than "strength in numbers" of their franchises as to how they keep shilling shit sammiches. Jimmy John's just a slightly higher shit notch than Subway.

If I want a sub, I'll dig deeper in my pocket and pay up for Jersey Mike's. They are the real deal. I used to like Quiznos subs, but that chain folded like a cheap JC Penney suit. Haven't seen one around anywhere. Anybody remember the weird-ass Quiznos commercials with the zombie hamster critters?

I thought that shit was a fever dream

• Agree
Reactions: Angry Shoes

Jace E. Denton

Apprentice Asshole
kiwifarms.net
I didn't read the thread to see if anyone mentioned this or not, but Subway is the biggest chain restaurant in the entire world, it overtook McDonald's. I assume that while they do well in North America, they must be making a fucking killing globally, I guess it's easier to market sub sandwiches to a global market than it is burgers and fries. Their food sucks and I think the main reason is the condiments and sauces they have are all fucking garbage. Even just their basic red sauce for the meatball sub tastes off to me, I stopped going there years ago.

Even though their food is trash, they have a better reputation with young people than most fast food places. Any college area is filled with tasteless faggots who eat nothing but Subway, Chipotle and Starbucks.

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
Between the few American chains I've eaten at - McDonald's, Burger King and Subway - Subway doesn't taste like rubber and the tears of art students. It's still fucking 'meh,' but it's not 'yikes.' I'm more astounded that American gummyburger chains exist. That stuff makes me cry when I just think how many people eat it and think that's what a burger and fries is supposed to taste like.
I've been acquainted with numerous immigrants over the years, and complaints about how terrible the cheap-end food in this country is ranks near the top of complaints no matter how much they enjoy life here.

The saddest part is that most all of 'em have eaten at American chains in their home country, and they all say the versions outside the US are better than the ones inside, even if they're from a third-world country with undrinkable water.

Ordinarily, I'm quite patriotic, but we've really fucked up when it comes to food.

CausticMinory

"Bring Light to my plight"
kiwifarms.net
Cause almost every big box store (Wal-Mart, Target, etc) will either have one inside it or somewhere close to it. "Hey I just bought (x amount) of shit at that store. Let's get subway, it's cheap and close by"

MaoBigDong

Pamela Swain Gave Me Ass Cancer
kiwifarms.net
They do a boatload of franchising. In my town every subway is owned by the same people and they’re all within like a 2 mile radius of each other so the crackheads can choose to walk to whichever one they want. The people that own all of those subways are some of the richest people in my town. I have no idea why, though, every time I go to one like the disgusting slob I am it’s completely empty save for the 1 soulless employee on the line.

Edit: Subway money laundering theory? Like mattress firm but with disgusting sub sandwiches.

Picklechu

kiwifarms.net
I've never even heard of Jersey Mike's, but there's apparently one down the road from me. I may need to go and try it.

Subway's lower cost of operations helped it gain ground against McDonald's, all you need is a walk-in fridge, freezer, sink, sandwich line, and enough space to store everything, and the fee to start one up is a third of McDonald's. A lot of the reason why it tastes so bad usually comes down to the following (I used to work at one of the restaurants):
  • The tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions all come in boxes and are sliced at the restaurant. The quality varies on this, tomatoes are the worse, they're either underripe or a few steps from rotten, and often rotten tomatoes do get in the box. Rarely do the tomatoes look good.
  • The "yoga mat material" was always highly disenginuous, but the bread isn't good, coming in as frozen sticks, thawed, and then allowed to rise somewhat, but it's not a good bread--it's too mushy when it's hot and quickly goes stale.
  • ALL the meats are packaged elsewhere. Reformulations in 2015 cheapened them further, with what was black forest ham going to thin, pitiful lunchmeat-type slices.
  • Almost no quality control, either it's a franchisee that doesn't know what the fuck he's doing, or a multiple-site franchisee that will keep loser stores open to maintain market share.
Yup. This is why you see them in basically every strip mall, at least down here.

Wawa is a gas station that sells sandwiches in the south. If you like gas station sandwiches then that's a place to go.
They're in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, DC, and Florida. Not really what I would call the south; moreso the mid-Atlantic + Florida.

They do a boatload of franchising. In my town every subway is owned by the same people and they’re all within like a 2 mile radius of each other so the crackheads can choose to walk to whichever one they want. The people that own all of those subways are some of the richest people in my town. I have no idea why, though, every time I go to one like the disgusting slob I am it’s completely empty save for the 1 soulless employee on the line.

Edit: Subway money laundering theory? Like mattress firm but with disgusting sub sandwiches.
The franchise fees are low, and they have low operating costs. It wouldn't surprise me if at least a handful of franchisees used it to try and launder money, but you could say that about any franchise.

• Agree
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Kiwi Lime Pie

Uncompromisably tasteful. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
I used to like Quiznos subs, but that chain folded like a cheap JC Penney suit. Haven't seen one around anywhere. Anybody remember the weird-ass Quiznos commercials with the zombie hamster critters?
I remember when those commercials first aired and wondering wtf those things were. Apparently, Quiznos used the spongemonkeys and parodied their "We love the moon" song from rathergood.com - a site with rather twisted humor and flash animations.

That said, Quiznos had decent subs the couple of times I patronized them before they went belly-up.

On topic, Subway seems to have gone downhill fast - at least the one near my workplace. I had to go there last week for the first time in a while when I unexpectedly needed to eat out and had limited options that day. Ever since the franchisees complained they lost money on $5/$5.50 footlongs, prices have skyrocketed. A 6-inch meal - sub, chips/cookies, and drink - is now $8.25. This is despite fewer options for bread and cheese. Needless to say, I now have motivation to bring my lunch whenever I can or find someplace cheaper to eat which can't be too hard.

StyrofoamFridge

Angry Conservative Faggot
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even as an adult, I've had multiple nightmares of Jared chasing me through the suburbs. The Subway in my town was notorious as they forced the employees to salvage dropped bread and vegetables when no customer was looking. Busy subways are the only tolerable ones, as those that do not stay busy accumulate disgusting conditions. Jersey Mike's or a local shop is vastly superior.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino