How has Subway survived this long? -

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
I can understand Subway chains surviving in the US. I can't understand how they survive in Asian countries. Dollar for dollar, Maccas or KFC would beat them every time, and their subs ain't even worth the premium anyway.

At this point, I choose to believe Subways are really just a front for money-laundering.

guccigash

Greyfriars Jandek
kiwifarms.net
Not a fan of subway, each time I end up going I find myself wishing that I had spent the money on basically any other food. Jersey Mike's is much better, though I seldom go there because of the cost. There's also a regional grocery chain with actual footlong subs with boars Head meats for $5, those are money.

I've seen butter on chicken sandwiches, on burgers, but on a sub? Is this a British thing?
I believe so - all bread of any form that has a filling in it is a sandwich and therefore must be buttered. Imperial sandwich construction.

Dynastier

Not Actually Vordrak
kiwifarms.net
It's because a lot of people subscribe to weird quasi religious food guilt. Subway is supposed to be "healthy". It also doesn't taste good, which reinforces that it must be good for you. Finally, since it is bad tasting, it's also penance for all the bad food you ate.

It's a stupid theory, but give me a better one (that doesn't involve subway being good because come on, we all know that's not true)

We had a couple Subways here in my town and then they started dropping off one by one. The ingredient quality went down the shitter (you started seeing fucking chinese cabbage instead of lettuce, for example, because chinese cabbage is way cheaper here) and that caused the nosedive to get even worse.

I don't think I've eaten at a Subway in 4 years minimum. Probably closer to 5-6 at this point. Can't say I miss it. I'd rather pay a little more and get a big bowl of pho or meat and noodle dish than eat a Subway sub.

• Informative
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

TowinKarz

And the deer and the antelope.....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Subway is the Craigslist of fast food.

There are equivalent or better options in places not quite as full of people looking to rob you, use them instead, unless you have no other option.

I mean, can you think of another national franchise as likely as them to show up sharing retail space with a check-cashing outlet in a bad neighborhood?

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can understand Subway chains surviving in the US. I can't understand how they survive in Asian countries. Dollar for dollar, Maccas or KFC would beat them every time, and their subs ain't even worth the premium anyway.

At this point, I choose to believe Subways are really just a front for money-laundering.
Western fast food uses the status of being Western as a sign of quality and status.

In China they apparently serve it alongside Chinese food. The Western stuff is made poorly and exists to show status.

• Informative
Reactions: Kane Lives

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I haven't eaten any Subway in a long time but I preferred it over McD and BK. It was usually my Sunday dinner for a year, a vacant Sunday is my traditional trashy food day.

Western fast food uses the status of being Western as a sign of quality and status.
Pabst Blue Ribbon was sold in champagne-like bottles in China. At a premium price!

Xarpho

Only looks like he's angry
kiwifarms.net
Isn’t it inexpensive to open a Subway? It’s like 250k compared to the 2 million you need to open a McDoanld’s. I’m guessing that’s why so many are popping up.
Yeah, but McDonald's makes more money. With McDonald's, the company has more input where you place it for the best location, and it's almost guaranteed to make money. Subways can appear and disappear from strip mall fronts, whereas McDonald's generally stays for the long-term. How many stand-alone McDonald's have you seen close recently?

• Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
The quality of a subway depends entirely on management. If one is bad in your area, I could guarantee that another one is much better as long as it has a different owner. But the turnaround is so fast that if it's bad one time it's likely to be better in a matter of weeks.

You should also only go to a subway if there's more than 1 person working at it. If it's 1 employee on the clock they're basically guaranteed to be backed up and stressed. Their food is still kind of expensive, but if you're on a long drive Subway is less likely to make your stomach feel like a moldy lump as long as you don't get the steak or the cold cut combo.

Oh, and their tuna is good with their BBQ sauce.

Wilhelm Bittrich

Ma'am, this is a Wendy’s!
kiwifarms.net
what? thats the stuff you get when you send out the boy a 2nd time around 12 to get some more food.
at around 1430 you send him out a 3rd time to get some beer and currywurst.
I'm Bavarian, I get my first beer with the first Leberkässemmel. At 12, sadly, I have to eat with the kollegium, which means no beer and bio crap.

Tags
None