How has Subway survived this long? -

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
So recently I decided for the first time in probably a decade or more to give Firehouse Subs another try.

And I'm happy to report that they are way better than I remember, I think they use a different kind of bread.

Definitely better than Subway.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of the "Subway smell"

This Subway Reed Scent Diffuser Makes Your Home Smell Like Cheesy Garlic Bread
I don't know a better scent.
by KRISTIN SALAKY
DEC 18, 2019

There are people who enjoy fruity scents and people who enjoy sweet scents, as well as people who enjoy spicy scents and people who enjoy musky scents, but people who enjoy the scent of garlic bread? Well, that's everyone, which is why this upcoming product from Subway is so damn exciting.

Subway UK teased the release of a scent diffuser, which is weird in and of itself, but instead of that scent diffuser putting out smells like lavender or chocolate, it's meant to make your house smell like the chain's cheesy garlic bread. Subway shared a photo of the diffuser and it actually looks like something you'd want to put in your home, i.e. it has a nice font.

This was met with confusion and disgust from a lot of different outlets, but it's worth begging the question—who doesn't love the scent of cheesy garlic bread? This just makes sense as a home scent too.

If you were thinking about trying to snap this up for a last-minute Christmas gift, you're short on luck: It's not available to buy yet, as according to Business Insider, it's still in the testing phase. Next year, it will be rolled out to stores across the U.K.

"We predict Ultimate Cheesy Garlic Bread could become the scent of 2020!" Colin Hughes, UK Country Director at Subway said, according to the site.

For those across the pond, well, you'll just have to keep roasting up some garlic bread yourself.

Western fast food uses the status of being Western as a sign of quality and status.

In China they apparently serve it alongside Chinese food. The Western stuff is made poorly and exists to show status.
Very true. I’ve read that in the Gulf States, men will even take women on dates to McDonalds. Not as a casual date... as a date in the same way Americans would take somebody to a steakhouse or Italian restaurant.

Bugs_Galore

Hell is real and we live in it.
kiwifarms.net
I think Subway can be alright, it just depends on what one you go to. Since most of the Subways you see are franchised, the quality of the sandwich really just depends on how much of a shit the owner gives about their food quality. If some affluent entrepreneur owns the subway that you get your sandwich from, it's probably going to taste alright. But if it's owned by some melanin enriched individual with zero business sense, your sandwich is going to taste like a soggy piece of garbage.

I actually worked at a Subway for about a year. The guy who owned it was super nice and really cared about the quality of the food. He always made employees through away any food that got freezer-burned, changed colors, or got mushy. Everyone that came in always gave our subway raving reviews. However, I knew a guy that worked at a different Subway that was literally about 1 mile down the road (This was during the time when Subways were popping up everywhere) and his Subway was a hellhole. All of the food was mushy and the sandwich preparation area was full of rust and mold. I actually almost vomited when I saw how disgusting it was. I remember hearing that his manager paid off the inspecter whenever they came by.

Surf and TERF

kiwifarms.net
I liked it when I was a kid, so I like it now. I went there frequently when I worked at an office that had one next door.

To be fair, I never tried other sandwich places outside of social obligation. They’re okay, but I don’t care enough to crave it. Most are literally baguettes with meat and oil stuffed inside. At least subway dials it down a notch with the flatbread.

Reactions: Urist Steelthrone

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Subway is like most of the really huge fast food chains. It's cheap, quick, uniform, and "fine". No, it isn't great food. But it's ok. It won't make you sick (Jokes about Taco Bell aside, it won't), it won't shock you with bizarre flavors or ingredients, it will be prepared a predictable way, etc. It has a certain genericized bland inoffensiveness that means virtually nobody will hate it, and most people will "like" it to some extent. You know what you're getting, and you can get the same thing anywhere in America. A mall, an airport, or some small town on the road between Here and There that nobody has ever heard of and has a population measured in three digits. I can go to virtually any town in America (And a lot of other countries besides) and be assured of finding the same 2-5 franchises, depending on how small we're talking - a McDonalds, a Subway, a Taco Bell, a KFC, a Pizza Hut. Any other chain? Maybe, maybe not - even Wendy's, Arbys, Burger King, and Dominos can be a little bit hit or miss, but those five? Everywhere. And after the second tier, it goes waaaay down. If I'm traveling outside of my "home" region, all the second-tier fast food places change. I can't get Bojangles chicken if I go much further north, just like I can't get Jets pizza here, to my sadness.

And most people? Most people, in my experience, aren't adventurous. If they're just wanting a quick, cheap bite, they're going to go for things they know. They know Subway. They know McDonalds. They know KFC. Everyone knows those places.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson said:
The franchise and the virus work on the same principle: what thrives in one place will thrive in another. You just have to find a sufficiently virulent business plan, condense it into a three-ring binder—its DNA—xerox it, and embed it in the fertile lining of a well-traveled highway, preferably one with a left-turn lane. Then the growth will expand until it runs up against its property lines.

In olden times, you'd wander down to Mom's Cafe for a bite to eat and a cup of joe, and you would feel right at home. It worked just fine if you never left your home-own. But if you went to the next town over, everyone would look up and stare at you when you came in the door, and the Blue Plate Special would be something you didn't recognize. If you did enough traveling, you'd never feel at home anywhere.

But when a businessman from New Jersey goes to Dubuque, he knows he can walk into a McDonald's and no one will stare at him. He can order without having to look at the menu, and the food will always taste the same. McDonald's is Home, condensed into a three-ring binder and xeroxed. “No surprises” is the motto of the franchise ghetto, its Good Housekeeping seal, subliminally blazoned on every sign and logo that make up the curves and grids of light that outline the Basin.

Last edited:

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Convenience, mostly. The one closest to me is within walking distance if I was really craving a sandwich but wasn't in the mood to cook, and didn't want to walk to a Taco Bell. At the same time, though, it's in a convenience store, so I can just prepare a convenience store hot dog and be on my way, or go across the street to the taco truck if it's open.

• Agree
Reactions: Urist Steelthrone

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
I can't speak for Subway in the rest of the world but here in Europe it's not that bad, I like some of their sandwiches. It's convient for times when you don't have time to cook and I like that you have the option to customize your sandwiches as you like. I try to eat as healthy as I can so it's perfect for me.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I guess I'm just lucky I've never come across a "bad" Subway. Most of the ones I've been to are nice, though there are better sandwich places. There's a Subway in walking distance of me but it's right next to a Firehouse Subs, and while Firehouse costs slightly more it also tastes better and has a better variety.

Autumnal Equinox

Dance with me, Kiwis!
kiwifarms.net
It really depends on the location and franchisee. Sometimes you'll get a location that has decent subs, nothing to scream about, but not bad for a quick lunch. Then (nine times out of ten what I've ended up with) you get a location that doesn't give a shit, veggies are old, lettuce is wilted, bare minimum of meat on the sandwich unless you hound them to actually put more than a Kleenex tissue sample sized portion, they hire nothing but exceptionals

I've got a Jersey Mike's nearby that costs a bit more, but the service and quality of food is miles above Subway.

Chive Turkey

kiwifarms.net
I quite like Subway. You don't have a lot of places that just sell a halfdecent sandwich over here. It's hardly high quality stuff, but it's reasonably priced and you have a lot of choice. My personal favourite is a sesame bun with turkey, topped with jalapeños, olives and Chipotle sauce. Acidic as fuck, but I like it.

• Feels
Reactions: Angry Shoes

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
I quite like Subway. You don't have a lot of places that just sell a halfdecent sandwich over here. It's hardly high quality stuff, but it's reasonably priced and you have a lot of choice. My personal favourite is a sesame bun with turkey, topped with jalapeños, olives and Chipotle sauce. Acidic as fuck, but I like it.
I always go for either chicken breast or vegan supreme (whole grain bread of course) topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, bell pepper, olives, jalapeños, spinach and olive oil. Tasty and healthy.

Tags
None