How much do we value face to face interaction? -

albertbrown26

kiwifarms.net
To elaborate, I do wonder why it seems that the idea of talking to people in conversation is drifting away, if you compare it to interacting with people online through social media or imageboards.

I still love to talk to people, but I sometimes think I’m the only one that thinks this way. They could say it’s old school, but really, who cares?

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
Outside of forced convos (cashier, business, co-worker, classroom) type convos strangers don't really talk to each other. Anyone milling around among strangers I'll give 90% odds they will be in their phone or have the "don't talk to me" headphones on.

I hate small talk, so this is all fine with me. It's just something you'll see if you people watch in public spaces.

littlearmalite

S U P E R N E C E S S A R Y
kiwifarms.net
I like talking to people, but I also have a no-politics rule for IRL conversation.
If you eliminate politics from face to face discussion, conversation is rather refreshing.
I actually don't. Perhaps it's the company I keep IRL nowadays, or perhaps it's me being an extremely 'game ready' type of person when it comes to debate/ arguments, I rather enjoy talking politics IRL. I still go to party meetings, protests and the like in my locale and just go at it with people. I find it fun and stimulating.

That's what I'd say the difference is for me between online and offline communication. While I can be intellectually stimulated by online, I'm often much more engaged and focused in a real life scenario.

The Last Stand

Happy 2020! We finally found true love!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One advantage with face-to-face interactions is facial expressions. You could tell how somebody is acting by simply looking at their faces deform and react subconsciously.

Eyebrow raised? Maybe they're thinking or stumped. Drifting away eyes, no eye contact? They may not be paying attention or avoiding something. Hand on chin with elbow supporting it? Bored or tired. See how complex simple actions can be? We take face to face for granted sometimes.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can take it or leave it. There are times when face-to-face interaction is required. I get that and can handle that. But IRL very few people want to discuss the things I find I can discuss easily on line. Come here, there are people who will have some background on just about any subject you want to bring up, and provide meaningful interaction, either on the board or through PMs.

Believe one big reason many prefer online interaction over face-to-face interaction is that you can easily "walk away" if you say something really exceptional online. IRL you'd need to deal with what you said.

DecimatedFerret

I'm deaded
kiwifarms.net
Real face to face with another human bean is a completely different beast than just talking to niggers on the internet. No conversation online will ever match the euphoria of making someone laugh their ass off or watching some cunt's face engorge with rage because of some shit you said. Looking into someone's eyes, their expression changing with everything you say is as raw as you can get. Words on a screen will never compare, even if it is plenty fun. That's how I feel anyway.

Reactions: TheYellowKing

TheYellowKing

kiwifarms.net
Online interaction for me is really only for my weird niche interactions, like watching weirdos and commenting on even weirder forums.

The 3rd Hooligan

Fake Cowboy
kiwifarms.net
I feel akward talking to people and try to avoid it unless its someone im comfortable with but even then I prefer to spend time alone.

Promestein

Stayしがちなイメージだらけの 頼りない翼でも きっと飛べるさ
kiwifarms.net
but I sometimes think I’m the only one that thinks this way. They could say it’s old school, but really, who cares?
Yes, you are unique, you are completely different. There are over 7 billion people on the planet, but you and only you think this way. You are a national treasure, you are invaluable and should be protected at all costs, thanks for showering us with your wisdom.

You fucking cunt.

But on point.
Its not really drifting away, but the idle chat is slowly dying as people have few hours to enjoy themselves between work and responsibiliies.
Online interaction will never beat IRL ones though, making people laugh in real life is far more satisfying than just shitposting on an imagebard.

The 3rd Hooligan

Fake Cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Yes, you are unique, you are completely different. There are over 7 billion people on the planet, but you and only you think this way. You are a national treasure, you are invaluable and should be protected at all costs, thanks for showering us with your wisdom.

You fucking cunt.
Oh cmon dont be so harsh judging from the post that user is clearly underage. I was born in the wrong era shit is a clear giveaway.

Lemmingwise

I plan to rebrand myself on being a better person
kiwifarms.net
One advantage with face-to-face interactions is facial expressions. You could tell how somebody is acting by simply looking at their faces deform and react subconsciously.

Eyebrow raised? Maybe they're thinking or stumped. Drifting away eyes, no eye contact? They may not be paying attention or avoiding something. Hand on chin with elbow supporting it? Bored or tired. See how complex simple actions can be? We take face to face for granted sometimes.
You forget that autistic people barely register those signals and the difference is much smaller. So they don't take it for granted; it's marginally the same.

• Agree
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Carrier of Light

Philosopher
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I find it easier to text than to talk IRL. Helps avoid awkwardness and you can leave thd conversation easily if you have to for whatever reason.

But it also depends on who the person is. With some, face-to-face is better, with others it's a waste of time and would rather text than talk IRL.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
I think your ability to value it decays based on you state of mind. If you say, end up depressed for some reason, you end up wanting to be alone constantly. Which counterintuitively might make you more depressed, so you want to be more alone, etc. Given the way the modern world works there's probably lots of people growing up now who feel this way but don't really understand it because they just think that's the way things are supposed to be.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino