How much stuff did you get as a kid? -

FuckedUp

Professional Glowposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel I haven't powerleveled enough about my childhood, so here goes:

I grew up as an only child in a lower-upper-middle-class household. As I mentioned before, I got a GBA SP, GameCube, and DS all within like six months of each other as a five-year-old. But it's not like I just got handed games after that.

I've had an allowance since I was five, getting $[my then-current age + 2] until 13, when it was fixed at $20 until getting raised to $80 when I started college, plus $1 per chore. I always knew how much games cost, typically buying used games over new ones. I typically got like $100 worth of stuff on my birthday and $350 on Christmas (~$200 from parents + ~$150 from relatives). The Christmases that my parents spent the most on were 2008 and 2009, when they spent $300 on a 60GB Xbox 360 and PS3 respectively (had to use my relatives' money to buy games both times).

All-in-all, I got about 16-20 new games per year as a kid, 22-30 including handheld games. Growing up in a more solidly upper-middle-class neighborhood, I felt I had maybe slightly more games than average, but otherwise felt like the poor kid; everyone else had entire shelves full of DVDs, the latest Nerf guns, a portable DVD player, a TV in their room (plus a living room HDTV in 2008), an electric Razor scooter, a giant backyard with a possible pool, visited places other than relatives, etc. Plus, most of my classmates were getting $15-20 allowance plus $1+ per chore by the time we were nine. Most of my classmates got their first smartphone in the first half of sixth grade while I just got my first cellphone, and only got an off-brand 3G smartphone in late seventh grade.

When I talk to my friends at my state school, they seem to have been roughly as well-off as me, but they're mostly in the honors college so it could be biased. Whenever I read others' anecdotes, it's like everyone else either got >$500 worth of gifts per Christmas, every new game and console within a month of release, and 100+ toys, or $50 worth of gifts per Christmas, two games per year, and one action figure plus a board game.

So what did you get as kids? I have no idea whether I was well-off or just average.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
I grew up the only child to an upper class white family in a big house up on the hill overlooking every other home in our area. I went to an upscale christian private school and rubbed elbows with (Somewhat)famous people from a young age.

To put it in perspective we had three corvettes of varying year, each a different color, we had a houseboat, an RV, A Jeep Golden Eagle Limited Edition(For any of you who know how rare those are), and our back yard had two elevations separated by a rock wall.

And yet somehow I still had to do chores such as mowing the lawn, taking out trash, cleaning my room, and even getting summer jobs as early as seven years old.

Of course after my Mom and Dad divorced I was forced to move in with my Mom at her parents old home and she spent money like crazy so I got to find out what broke living was like too when I wasn't spending weekends with my old man.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was fairly spoiled when I was young. Up until age 13 or so namely thanks to NAFTA my family went from middle class to lower class.

Toys were cheaper back then, man. As a kid, I would recycle bottles and cans (you had to clean them back then instead of dropping them into a machine) then get $20 to buy Aliens and Predator toys. Those toys were about $5 a piece back then. Now it's like $15 for the same shit.

The last console I got was the N64 which I regretted later because it had very few adult/horror games when compared to Playstation. Luckily my dad really got into building computers and was learning Java so I got to experience the first golden age of PC gaming.

• TMI
Reactions: Son of Nothing

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
We were poor growing up, christmas presents were dollar tree stocking stuffers, clothes from TJ Max, second hand books, and as much home made candy as possible. Simpler times they were.

When asked what I want for Birthday/Christmas I tell folks "Nothing, I need absolutely nothing."

Hylics

May you find peace.
kiwifarms.net
We were real poor growing up. My dad worked for this businessman who was a real miser. He paid him barely anything. I was crippled then, and though there was a treatment, my parents couldn't pay for it. One year, my dad comes home from work and says his boss won't let him off for Christmas, so we were all crying and shit, but suddenly the old man changed his mind, saying he had a dream about me dying from being crippled. He gave us a turkey, gave my dad a raise and he became my second dad.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
We were real poor growing up. My dad worked for this businessman who was a real miser. He paid him barely anything. I was crippled then, and though there was a treatment, my parents couldn't pay for it. One year, my dad comes home from work and says his boss won't let him off for Christmas, so we were all crying and shit, but suddenly the old man changed his mind, saying he had a dream about me dying from being crippled. He gave us a turkey, gave my dad a raise and he became my second dad.
I would give you the winner rating for this if I could still give ratings.

mellifluous

Work none, play harder. Sponsor me on Patreon.
kiwifarms.net
Caregivers were long-term unemployed and selfish with the money they did have, so not much. It's meant I'm not fucking hopeless with my money, though, something I've come to learn is not a gift afforded to a lot and definitely something to cherish.

I have no idea whether I was well-off or just average.

You sound like most upper middle class kids over here. Not rich, but definitely not average.

This whole thread is TMI, y'all niggers need therapists, not KF.

The question is asking for people's experiences. What exactly were you expecting when you clicked on it?

Tags
None