How much stuff did you get as a kid? -

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
Caregivers were long-term unemployed and selfish with the money they did have, so not much. It's meant I'm not fucking hopeless with my money, though, something I've come to learn is not a gift afforded to a lot and definitely something to cherish.

You sound like most upper middle class kids over here. Not rich, but definitely not average.

The question is asking for people's experiences. What exactly were you expecting when you clicked on it?
They're just mad because they're poor.

Otis Boi

Chunky Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
I grew up an only child in a lower middle class family. Most of the time i had to wait to get things on my Birthday or Christmas. Sometimes my dad would surprise me if he got a bonus so it made stuff like that alot more special. It taught me the value of hard work and patients

Crankenstein

The good doctor.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nothing wrong with therapy. Takes a strong person to admit they need help and seek it out. Those that don't and wallow in their own shit are doomed to repeat the actions of their ancestry.
I agree but with reservation. Too many folks don't (or just wont) work on themselves properly and use therapy as a way of feeding their USI.

• Agree
Reactions: Reverend

Bland Crumbs

Shrug.
kiwifarms.net
Christmas as a preteen through hs was pretty decent. I stopped asking for pretty much anything by the time I was 16-17. I felt a tremendous amount of guilt receiving presents when I was working. Mostly I would get clothes and books.

• Informative
Reactions: Crankenstein

whatever I feel like

Family Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
I got "enough." Family was upper middle class but my parents didn't quite grow up that way. We'd always have a current gen video game system, a year or two after launch. We had a computer by the mid-90s, enough toys and a swing-set in the back yard. But its not like we were getting our own cars, or the best type of sled, etc.

FuckedUp

Professional Glowposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You sound like most upper middle class kids over here. Not rich, but definitely not average.
Then how would you describe my peers, based on the info I gave? I always pictured "upper-class" as living in a gated mansion. Always was fun to be sitting next to a friend in the car, seeing him watch Family Guy on his portable DVD player while all I had to do was play Kirby on my DS.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: mellifluous

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
We were middle-class with a comfortable life. Fortunately, my parents had a system where the only way I could get new toys as a kid was to earn "tokens" by doing chores (though I'll probably raise my kids to appreciate intrinsic motivation), and they made me get a job as soon as I could legally work. Sadly, I still suck at tolerating hard physical labor, which is the thing I hate most about myself. Guess that's why I went to college, but I had no outside financial help.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
Then how would you describe my peers, based on the info I gave? I always pictured "upper-class" as living in a gated mansion. Always was fun to be sitting next to a friend in the car, seeing him watch Family Guy on his portable DVD player while all I had to do was play Kirby on my DS.
I knew poor people that had portable DVD players

• Agree
Reactions: mellifluous

Crazedking

Its time to do the Oogie Boogie dance!
kiwifarms.net
single mom raised me and a sibling. She worked hard + money from dad was enough to live comfortably.

Got consoles and the games for those (SNES, N64, Gameboy and eventually a computer when i started high school in early 2000s). Gift were reserved for birthday and Christmas. Some birthdays and some Christmas were bigger or smaller than others depending on how the year went financially. If i wanted anything in between those, i had to work for it which i did during my teenage years with rural work in the summer and delivering journal. Teenage years i didnt receive much, most of it was earned by myself.

Ill never understand kids receiving money for doing chores you are supposed to do anyway. Like nigga just make your bed and stop being lazy.

DuckSucker

Beautiful AND cute
kiwifarms.net
I think you were pretty average, OP. I grew up lower-middle-class-ish too and had a sister, but Im about like you, both of my parents together evened out around middle class. I think my friends would be solidly middle to probably between them upper middle class.

I had most of what I wanted, but I guess I didnt want a lot--I thought of myself as being a "simple-ish dude" (not that I felt like I was missing out on things my peers had) which I realize as an adult people kind of look down on that. I was lucky to live in a big city that has its own funded parks department that maintains a bunch of really nice city/neighborhood parks with hiking trails, creeks, and I lived a block from both a school and a library, and we were 15 minutes on the highway from downtown so I guess I found shit to do too.

Most of what you got was on your birthday or on Christmas, and you got one "big present" for each and then the rest is like snacks and trinkets and knickknacks and clothes or toys and shit. Even then birthdays were usually small family things where you and your family and maybe a close friend go out to eat and you get one or two presents. You only get a couple games a year so mostly youre trading with your friend or borrowing their shit or saving up your own money. Actually I remember renting a lot of the games I played then being like "alright played that one because cartridge games were like 60-70 bucks, and Funcoland didnt always have them used.

We used our shit till you physically couldnt though so we had a lot of old shit, secondhand shit, and my dad made extra money selling random shit. People were bitching about the Wii not being HD but I was like fuck Im playing it on a CRT I got in 1996 to play Xenoblade when that released in 2011, chill out.

mellifluous

Work none, play harder. Sponsor me on Patreon.
kiwifarms.net

Upper middle class is different to the upper class, though. At least here it is. When it comes to the upper middle class and houses, I associate them with having 2+ bathrooms, surplus bedrooms (siblings don't share a room, often also a guest room and/or study), detatched houses, a driveway big enough for more than one car, two living rooms and/or a seperate dining room, that kind of thing. Being upper middle class includes a variety of incomes, so I'd say your friends, to me, would also fall within that bracket.

Judging it by the amount of stuff someone has isn't always the best measurement either, to be fair. I've known upper middle class people whose parents could have afforded to get them a lot more stuff than they did, but didn't to stop them from becoming spoilt. I've also known people in the underclass who would blow hundreds of pounds on quad bikes for their kids, driving themselves into tens of thousands of debt to do so. It's just generally, it's most often upper middle class children I've observed to fit what you described. It's also worth noting that the class system may be different here and my perception of what's not average might be skewed by the fact I grew up as part of the underclass.

horrorfan89

Resident Master of the dark and all things macabre
kiwifarms.net
I had to have all the Jurassic Park toys I could get as a kid and usually if my grades were good my parents bought me them. I had some of the most popular ones too, the bull t Rex the Mobile command center, all the matchbox and a few micro worlds mini playsets. I also had a few x wings from star wars and especially the toys for Godzilla 98...man I had such a great childhood sure miss it

• Feels
Reactions: Clovis

FuckedUp

Professional Glowposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When it comes to the upper middle class and houses, I associate them with having 2+ bathrooms, surplus bedrooms (siblings don't share a room, often also a guest room and/or study), detatched houses, a driveway big enough for more than one car, two living rooms and/or a seperate dining room, that kind of thing.
Pretty sure everything except the detached houses and two living rooms is solid middle-class.

Miel67

PFurrie and MAP hater
kiwifarms.net
Let's see: Lots of Barbies and stuffed animals. Sketchbooks. Lots of clothes, including homemade. Jewelry and jewelry boxes.
I used to have a Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh deck, but my ygo deck was gradually stolen by a couple of boys, my Articuno, card stolen.
And at 8, I counted I had 100 books.

Aberforth

'Cuse me while I kiss this guy
kiwifarms.net
My parents had me save up my allowance for most recreational things I wanted by the age of 6. Taught me to be smart with my money.

LeChina James

4-6
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was under the impression that people who know they were spoiled growing up don’t boast or brag on the Internet, but the ones that do are usually the ones that try to overcompensate by acting out as the savior of “the little guy”. Though with that said, I did get a lot of video games and consoles growing up, too.

Tags
None