How the fuck do Asian Americans raise their kids so well? -

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
because legal immigrants are just a priori more intelligent/hard working and their descendents are naturally going to inherit that ethic while the family structure is more nuclear. People in China are no more intelligent than the rest.
There must be some reason they score a standard deviation higher on IQ tests. I seriously doubt there's social prejudice that somehow caused the tests designed by white people to favor Asians.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There must be some reason they score a standard deviation higher on IQ tests. I seriously doubt there's social prejudice that somehow caused the tests designed by white people to favor Asians.
I think Asians are the subniggers who ended up using tiny brains for good like the advanced bugmen they are. The rice they use has become an epigen conditioning (ironic considering it comes in the shape of a pill) and they are the most socially solidified ethnic group of people that absolutely hate each other that ever was.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a strong cultural element to it, imparted via the lingering influence of Confucian ethic of moral and virtue, which is intrinsically linked to studiousness and industry in the realm of academics. Consider that for 2000 years (until around 1905), the Chinese and Korean landowning classes were comprised almost entirely of the so-called "scholar-gentry", who split their time between managing their property-holdings and studying the Confucian classics in preparation for taking the annual Imperial exams that would grant successful scholars high office in the Imperial bureaucracy and a big fat pension to match. And these exams were not a one-shot deal. If a man didn't get a good enough score to be recommended for a high office on his first try, he'd come back year after year to take the exam until he did. And if he got tired of taking the exam and gave up due to lack of money or willpower, then the only career option left for him to do was become a tutor/teacher, to train the next generation of exam-taking scholar-gentry.

You make a people sit for a three-day essay composition exam every year for 2000 years, some of that studiousness is going to stick.

SomethingWittyandBadass

Daddy's too busy fucking a whore to care Timmy.
kiwifarms.net
They make you work for their acceptance. Otherwise they never compliment you or tell you how proud they are of you.
From my own observation of my girlfriend's family and other Asian families, this is pretty much on-the-fucking-dot. Either you're smart as fuck or you're a fucking disappointment. I've seen this too many times with Asian families and it's the possibility that this is the root of overworking in Asian-American Youth. Being fucking way too strict. I mean I can see getting pissed at a C-, but fucking hell calm down there Pops, they made a A-.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They groom their children to succeed because their stratified societies have made the aristocratic style upbringing the ideal.

You make a people sit for a three-day essay composition exam every year for 2000 years, some of that studiousness is going to stick.
These exams were basically rote memorization. Kinda why China has basically no innovation.

Most Asian countries didn't have this system either and only a small minority took the exams.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Y2K Baby

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They groom their children to succeed because their stratified societies have made the aristocratic style upbringing the ideal.

These exams were basically rote memorization. Kinda why China has basically no innovation.

Most Asian countries didn't have this system either and only a small minority took the exams.
Even in the western system, rote memorization lends itself well to studiousness. Only once students get to university and beyond is innovative thinking required to succeed.

And actually a lot of modern Asian countries are descended from countries or peoples that practiced some variation of the Imperial exam system at one point or another.

China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, plus all the Overseas Chinese that ended up in Singapore and Southeast Asia. This grouping constitutes a large proportion of the East Asians that ended up immigrating to North America.

Even though only the middle-class level commoners and up would have had high rates of taking and passing the imperial exams, the East Asian societies had very limited upward social mobility in general, so most of the non-refugee North American immigrants of the post-WW2 era are descended from that higher socioeconomic strata which would have had a tradition of taking the imperial exams.

The historical and cultural linkage of academic success with tangible material benefit and social prestige via the imperial exam system probably results in a much different motive effect than the Protestant tradition of education/literacy as a means of acquiring the tools for spiritual improvement and personal salvation.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
Asians are naturally intelligent and studious, and America provides an ideal environment for them to flourish in because (as previously mentioned) there's only a handful of others who can compete in raw brain power, and there's a lot of other groups to pick up the jobs that take less wattage. In China, the plumbers, gravediggers, and taxi drivers are all gonna be Chinese, and competing with other Chinese in school.

Orkeosaurus

kiwifarms.net
China does present a conundrum but if you look at the provincial IQ map it shows that it's 90-100 in the more rural west and south with Tibetans being functionally retarded while the coast is exceptionally high IQ. I'm not educated in the demographics of China but at first glance it seems to show that Chinese IQ has more to do with culture and perhaps urbanization. As @millais said there's also the huge historical effect of the Jinshi exam where if you studied enough you could not only raise yourself out of poverty, but be a member of the bureaucratic aristocracy. To my mind Cao Cao is one such historical figure whose family originally was poor. While the imperial jinshi is gone you could make the case that the Communist bureaucracy is a cultural descendant.

heathercho

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because they're Asian. Unless you're at a selective high school (or whatever you Americans call them) or at a super elite private school, you're competing against people who aren't Asian. If you're in Asia and you're competing against Asians, then you are fucked. Hence why East Asian school kids neck themselves.

In America it'd be a breeze though, so they don't have to feel so stressed.

I don't know what "Asian American" mothers are like, but Asians in Australia - Japanese ones especially - won't even talk about your achievements to other mothers whatsoever and they make you sound like a complete failure to other parents because they never say "Well MY kid is doing THIS well", even when others are bragging about their kids.
If I got in the top 5% of the country for a subject in a test or got published in a text book as an example of an essay or even got into a rep sports team, my mother would say "She's doing ok...".

So then you feel the need to do better and more outrageously incredible at school. And sports. And every other after school thing you have going on. So you get that satisfaction from being so damn good at stuff even if your mother doesn't care, where as in Asia, it'd be like everyone has the same mindset so it'd be impossible for it to be so easy.

Don't worry, people who study overseas are seen as having taken the soft option. So if these people do go back to Asia, all the "ease" of American study will be told to them a million times a day by their Asia-educated counterparts.

Last edited:

Positron

Bovid-19. Codename: White Yak
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rote memory has an unfair bad press, but I am utterly convinced that having a good information base is essential to innovation. The more things you store in your memory, the more connection between them will you be attuned to.

It is a good thing to build up this information base from an early age, when children think of memorizing, say, a verse or the multiplication table, as games.

You're an incel.
You make "incels" by telling boys they deserve the world simply by being alive, and this is a very American thing.

Last edited:
Tags
None