How the fuck do Asian Americans raise their kids so well? -

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
I think it's really being (legal) immigrants or the children of them over any "ethnic" explanations. From my personal experience, legal immigrants, especially ones who came recently, are more hard-working in general, no matter the economic class. The children of these immigrants, as long as they weren't coddled, have good role models in terms of hard work and valuing education.

The submissive thing really tickled my fancy. Also mental illness as a whole is underdiagnosed and not treated properly.

Khayyam

Haunted by furries
kiwifarms.net
As a counter perspective, not being in America....

It might not be because they're asian. In Europe the children of immigrants generally do tend to do better at school than the native population. There are are a few major exceptions, mostly Bulgarians and more rural Polish types whose boys just don't attribute any value to school at all (They're going to help Daddy with whatever he gets up to once they turn 10-12) and the British (I know families who've been here twenty years who've never even tried to learn French, or Spanish across the border).

The parents had the effort to make something more of themselves, and the children if they're not raised from the start here have to make a concious effort to integrate.

I'd say the language actually plays a big part and certainly does for the Chinese here; if you have to become fluent, for the age of the kid, in at least two or three languages by five or six you're probably going to be fairly well spoken and receptive to what you're being taught.

• Horrifying
  • Agree
Reactions: awoo and Y2K Baby

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
"Cultural" Asian here :powerlevel: 95% of the people I'm surrounded with are Asian to the point where I see them as the norm and others as "outsiders" :powerlevel:
Three major reasons for Asians doing so well:
1) Straight up smarter. IQ is a pretty decent predictor of life success (causatory too), and chinks are right inbetween crackers and kikes.
2) Work ethic. Parents push them super hard and ingrain in their minds that study = success. Seriously, I know people that were preparing for the SAT since 6th grade. We don't play games or have fun or other childhood stuff like that to any comparable extent to other races. Studying is fun becomes our mantra, there's a reason stuff like this shit exists (it translates to "I love studying", and the end message is, I don't care what the fuck you do, as long as you don't love studying we can't become friends)
3) Peer pressure. If you're a exceptional Asian you will get endlessly mocked for your stupidity. Hell, we unironically call people dumb and fake-Asians if they get an A-. Asian peer groups are ruthless.

wateryketchup

kiwifarms.net
"Cultural" Asian here :powerlevel: 95% of the people I'm surrounded with are Asian to the point where I see them as the norm and others as "outsiders" :powerlevel:
Three major reasons for Asians doing so well:
1) Straight up smarter. IQ is a pretty decent predictor of life success (causatory too), and chinks are right inbetween crackers and kikes.
2) Work ethic. Parents push them super hard and ingrain in their minds that study = success. Seriously, I know people that were preparing for the SAT since 6th grade. We don't play games or have fun or other childhood stuff like that to any comparable extent to other races. Studying is fun becomes our mantra, there's a reason stuff like this shit exists (it translates to "I love studying", and the end message is, I don't care what the fuck you do, as long as you don't love studying we can't become friends)
3) Peer pressure. If you're a exceptional Asian you will get endlessly mocked for your stupidity. Hell, we unironically call people dumb and fake-Asians if they get an A-. Asian peer groups are ruthless.
I know this website likes making fun of Indians but I went to high school with a lot of Indian kids and it's very similar with them. It's all apart of the shame culture, if you do badly then it reflects poorly on your parents, and if you have the potential to excel then you absolutely should seize it. I really admire that way of thinking, and I get that it's flawed but I wish (white) Americans adopted it.

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
We don't play games or have fun or other childhood stuff like that to any comparable extent to other races.
Oh some Asians do. They're very competitive in those they do play.

I know this website likes making fun of Indians but I went to high school with a lot of Indian kids and it's very similar with them. It's all apart of the shame culture, if you do badly then it reflects poorly on your parents, and if you have the potential to excel then you absolutely should seize it. I really admire that way of thinking, and I get that it's flawed but I wish (white) Americans adopted it.
Yeah, in any "prestigious" university you'll see just as many Indians. (I think in some countries "asians" refers to Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakis too?) A lot of Asians and Indians who immigrated in the 80s and afterwards did so as international students, so they are already smarter than most of their peers, and this is passed on to their kids.

• Agree
Reactions: TerribleIdeas™

Nazi vegeta

tfs vegeta
kiwifarms.net
I think people see asians as all being one specific type - hard working and focused. It's just not like that. Some may be hard working just not academic or involved - my father is like that, so he didn't have any interest in how we did in school. His family were the "wrong" kind of people in asian society anyway. People forget that there are single mothers, criminals, "trash", poors, alcoholics and do nothings in Asia. It's not a utopia. The further you get out from the major cities, the more people's priorities are different too. People in Busan and Osaka are going to have different views on what constitutes hard work compared to Seoul and Tokyo.
what about ganguro girls though? I've heard they work really hard too.

• Agree
Reactions: awoo

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
Indians tend to have higher variance in my experience (also at a school with a lot of Indians)— you get a lot of super-smart ones that can compete with Asians and Jews, and also a lot of regular ones that blend in with the whiteys.

heathercho

あかんで !
kiwifarms.net
what about ganguro girls though? I've heard they work really hard too.
The compensated dating game is hardwork... I imagine especially if you're a ganguro gal since there are hardly any left, it's out of fashion and Black Diamond doesn't count coz they're mostly overtanned fatties now.

Chubby "pig" dating is the new trend in the hostess scene. That's hardwork to get that fat for asians.

In terms of immigrant Asian communities being overachievers by our cultural norms it comes from a few sources.

1) They are immigrants, even if the parents are not overly academic, they will work hard in order to achieve a standard for the second generation to achieve better things. It also takes a lot of character in most cases to move to a new country and a new culture and thrive in that situation. Asians are very tenacious in this respect, as they are willing to apply themselves, and by applying regularly achieve.

2) They have an inbuilt community structure that allows them to take advantage over other competitors. Asians usually look after each other, even in regards to Tong societies or even communities, they are willing to help out others within their community directly or indirectly in order to see that the community succeeds and grows.

3) These ties to their communities and the advantages gained for them, alongside a healthy competitive nature means that parents will be more demanding of their children to succeed, and the community as a whole will also apply external pressure on the individual to do well, as it is ultimately a benefit to the individual, the family, and thereby extension the community.

4) Strong IQ correlations also help, but only in as much as how it is executed. Not all Asian communities are the same, and some have different expectations in terms of cultural norms, one thing that they do share though is strong family cultures and community interaction, which goes a long way in creating opportunities for them.

Indians are often the same in the regard that the harder the system of entry is, the more likely the result of a higher educated or motivated population coming in to work will produce a knock on effect for the next generation.

CamelCursive

kiwifarms.net
As a dude who has had sex with an Asian-American chick and been threatened by a 5'3" Chinaman dad with a Remington-

They hold them to a really, really high standard. Like, they really crack down on them.

Also, in America our business mindset isn't as batshit as the ones in Korea or Japan, where if you leave work before your Boss you're seen as a piece of shit, and you can't even speak to someone in a higher management position at work until someone higher than you has formally introduced you. The workplaces in those countries stress me out just thinking about them.

There are units in the Marine Corps that aren't as ridiculous about extreme professionalism as those fucking countries' offices.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, in America our business mindset isn't as batshit as the ones in Korea or Japan, where if you leave work before your Boss you're seen as a piece of shit, and you can't even speak to someone in a higher management position at work until someone higher than you has formally introduced you. The workplaces in those countries stress me out just thinking about them.

There are units in the Marine Corps that aren't as ridiculous about extreme professionalism as those fucking countries' offices.
Makes me want to cum.

• Islamic Content
  • Horrifying
Reactions: millais and awoo
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino