I am a Chinese(in mainland China),you can ask me some questions other than the government -

The Grimace

Normal words, but a purple guy!
How often do people piss and shit in trash cans or on the street? Apparently the chinese tourists in Japan love doing that when they can get away with it

Bayun Fulan

三春去后诸芳尽,各自须寻各自门
Conversion therapy within the States is usually religiously motivated. I'm not entirely sure on how violent it gets; but the short explanation is that being LGBT is a sin, depending on your take on the Bible, which is why certain people try to force the gays to heterosexual within these camps.

Now that I've thought about it, your friend was probably sent to a boarding school with a strong emphasis on discipline.
I'd like to ask a question about Internet discourse. I can probably understand the meaning of lolcow and trolling, but there is a word "autism", which means a mental disease similar to depression. Does the word mean simply refer to this disease on the Internet, or is it extended to an adjective or a mental state? It describes some lolcow on the Internet, it is also used to describe people who like to troll. Is this word used to satirize the behavior of engaging in virtual network? In addition, do you know the origin of the words like "roll" and "lolcow", and how did they first appear?

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
I'd like to ask a question about Internet discourse. I can probably understand the meaning of lolcow and trolling, but there is a word "autism", which means a mental disease similar to depression. Does the word mean simply refer to this disease on the Internet, or is it extended to an adjective or a mental state? It describes some lolcow on the Internet, it is also used to describe people who like to troll. Is this word used to satirize the behavior of engaging in virtual network? In addition, do you know the origin of the words like "roll" and "lolcow", and how did they first appear?
No, on the Internet it means "dumb" usually.

However, occasionally it can imply they have the exact mental disease.

Bayun Fulan

三春去后诸芳尽,各自须寻各自门
In terms of the referendum the joke was if Scotland wanted independence they should have let the English vote and they would have got it. As for how we view it no one outside of Scotland apart from Scottish people who live in the other three nations really care about it. If Scotland was to have another referendum then it would have to be approved by the British Government as a whole.

Brexit was a promise of a former prime minister David Cameron who didn’t think that the leave vote would win. The whole campaign for both sides was a complete shambles. When leave won David Cameron resigned like a coward leaving us with the mess we have now.
The attitude was largely sovereignty, cost vs benefits, immigration and a few others. The thing is before the referendum you’d never see an EU flag in the UK and there certainly wasn’t any “proud Europeans” as the remain side called themselves.

The royal family is generally seen in a favourable light but outdated. There is an abolitionist movement but it’s extremely small and it’s never been discussed seriously.

I wouldn’t say there is a hatred between Celt and Anglo. Though England did invade Ireland that was under Oliver Cromwell a tin pot dictator but when he died we hung onto Ireland. With Scotland there was a succession crisis and a Scottish King (James 6th I think he was know there) was next in line on the English thrown so he had to convince the English parliament that they would not be subservient to Scotland. But a lot of it is just regions poking fun, sins of the farther and some people who have a chip on their shoulders for no reason.

As for the Empire it ended not long after the war and most people who lived during that time are long since dead or born at the end of it so never seen what it was like to be top dog or the national attitude regarding the empire. We are taught about it in school but they don’t mention it in a positive or negative manner.
We still have over sea territory but it almost all small island nations or military outposts.
Thanks, I understand. There is another question. In this post, I saw someone cite the law on hate speech, saying that there is no freedom of speech in the UK (although I think this is much better than the situation in China or some places), for example, if I made a comment abusing the queen on twitter, would I be reported and convicted?

Account

A nondescript account
The usage of "autism" goes with the stereotypes of it, and sometimes its meant as literally saying someone is diagnosed with some type of autism. When describe someone as autistic some people generally mean obsessive, from how autistic people get obsessive about certain things (like trains). It can be used in a self-derogatory or joking way (someone might refer to a hobby they have as an "autistic obsession," or saying "excuse my autism" before correcting someone), but can also be used as a negative towards others. Usually when someone or some action is called autistic it is because its awkward or socially unexpected (as autistic people have difficulty interacting with others). Someone's autistic post might be a rant about something tangentially related, or some prolonged debate about some small thing nobody cares about derailing a thread might be called autistic.

Trolling gets called autistic because it can be somewhat time consuming or difficult just for the end result of messing with someone on the internet. Also most trolls themselves don't know whats funny to most people so their attempts and methods get called autistic because they don't accord with what people think is funny.

Thanks, I understand. There is another question. In this post, I saw someone cite the law on hate speech, saying that there is no freedom of speech in the UK (although I think this is much better than the situation in China or some places), for example, if I made a comment abusing the queen on twitter, would I be reported and convicted?
Not British but i'm sure you can shit on the queen and parliament all you want. You just can't make fun of specific things (say, calling a MP a faggot would not be allowed). I don't think the Queen has some speech-protection status, as those (I would think) go to minorities.

Parthenos

Why hast thou let me see this, Lucifer?
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I can answer a few of yours.

Autism: Autism is actually not a lot like depression. It's a lifelong mental condition that can cause many issues, among them are paying too much attention to very specific things and not being very good at being social. There are a lot of people who have this condition for real on the site, but it's also something people call each other as a joke.

Troll: Trolling is getting people angry on purpose, often by knowingly saying something wrong. The word has been around for a while on the English-speaking internet (since the 1990s!), and it's a synonym for "baiting" which has a similar connotation (you're "fishing" for attention from angry people). The word was also historically associated with this image:

1607021066433.png

Lolcow: A lolcow is someone who keeps making a fool of themselves online for the amusement of everyone else, and is the ideal target of trolls. There isn't a very fancy explanation for the meaning as the abbreviation "LOL" stands for "Laughing Out Loud" in English. This turn of phrase has also been around for a fairly long time, since at least the mid-2000s when 4chan was formed.

Also just wondering, is there any Internet slang in China or popular memes (that aren't government-related?)

soy_king

I am the Prom King, I seethe at everything
What work of Chinese Literature/ philosophical text do you believe best captures the understanding and mindset of the Han Chinese people? I've been reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms lately, and while it's an excellent work, I don't buy the idea that Chinese culture has modeled itself on the deeds and philosophy of Liu Bei. I feel like your general cultural ethos seems more based on Cao Cao or even Sun Quan.

Bayun Fulan

三春去后诸芳尽,各自须寻各自门
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I can answer a few of yours.

Autism: Autism is actually not a lot like depression. It's a lifelong mental condition that can cause many issues, among them are paying too much attention to very specific things and not being very good at being social. There are a lot of people who have this condition for real on the site, but it's also something people call each other as a joke.

Troll: Trolling is getting people angry on purpose, often by knowingly saying something wrong. The word has been around for a while on the English-speaking internet (since the 1990s!), and it's a synonym for "baiting" which has a similar connotation (you're "fishing" for attention from angry people). The word was also historically associated with this image:

View attachment 1764620

Lolcow: A lolcow is someone who keeps making a fool of themselves online for the amusement of everyone else, and is the ideal target of trolls. There isn't a very fancy explanation for the meaning as the abbreviation "LOL" stands for "Laughing Out Loud" in English. This turn of phrase has also been around for a fairly long time, since at least the mid-2000s when 4chan was formed.

Also just wondering, is there any Internet slang in China or popular memes (that aren't government-related?)
Thank you for your reply. I often see that picture on the domestic network. Is it also made by an anonymous person who appeared on the Internet a long time ago?

Of course, similar to these English words, I think the domestic terms in this respect are "钓鱼 fishing" (deliberately publishing false information to make others believe or publishing silly remarks to attract others' attention), “人肉搜索 human flesh search” (searching for the real information of someone on the Internet) "恶俗 vulgar and ugly" (the meaning of this word is very bad, which is used to describe the disclosure of other people's personal information, And some other forms of cyber violence,Its abbreviation is ESU, The website that publishes information about other people is called ESU wiki. This word can also be used for some people's self mockery.)
小丑🤡“Clown” ,is used to describe those who are stupid and self hyped on the Internet, but the term has only recently become popular.
硬汉,"Tough guy" is originally a good word, but sometimes it is used to describe those who still insist on their own way, self righteous and tough even after being criticized or dug out information on the Internet。

However, the use of these words is limited to this kind of circle. There are more popular words in the mainstream of the domestic network, and with the changes of the times (the domestic network started in the 2000s, and the catchwords at that time were completely different from those now). In addition, many of the domestic network languages are from the Japanese and Korean networks, such as “草” for laughter and “KY” for Untimely behavior, which first appeared in Japan, the word "私生饭" comes from the fan community in South Korea。

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
You can under Thailand's laws. Under the UK, I won't be surprised that it would be an "yes." And regarding the picture that @Parthenos it's the trollface. Basically an indicator on a successful trolling attempt. Came from Reddit, if I'm right.

Last edited:

Inquisitor_BadAss

*Insert witty comment here
While the queen has no special protections like the Thai royal family speech related crimes are based on causing someone or a group offence.

That’s right offending someone that thing which is extremely subjective and differs from person to person. You could call your best friend a cunt online and they would laugh it off. However if someone unrelated to the conversation was reading through the comments who seen your post reported you to the police because they were personally offended you could wind up in jail under the Malicious communications act.
So yeah someone completely unrelated to the conversation could have you jailed for because they’re an overly sensitive vagina.

The whole legal system when it comes to the UK is fucked and isn’t gonna be fixed any time soon.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
"Dumb",does it mean “foolish”,“silly”,“stupid”?
I get it. Is it saying that these people behave like psychopaths?
Dumb as in acting like they have an lower than average IQ score (70 is the cutoff rate for mental retardation, 100 or any minor variation of it is perfectly normal).

As for psychopaths...We just call them schizos if they're acting like a delusional idiot like this guy. But people generally settle for "crazy," even though none of these terms are "politically correct," but we don't care.

Last edited:

Niggernerd

Hol up *siiiiiiiiip* nigga
True & Honest Fan
动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Bibendum

Rubber baron
Welcome @andabeeryy, thanks for talking with us!

Are you familiar with the term 白左? What do people in your country think of our White Left? Most of us here (in America) are quite embarrassed by them, but they have gained a lot of power in recent years.

My dad's family is from Shanghai, but I've never visited. I have some concerns about traveling to the mainland. Do travelers need to worry about 地沟油? Is the laduzi as much of a problem as expat sites make it sound? Are pickpockets common in certain areas? Could you recommend nice areas in the cities?

Edit: Earlier you asked about American attitudes to the wars in the Middle East. After 9/11, patriotism in America was extremely high, so our leaders were able to trick much of the public into supporting war in Afghanistan and Iraq in retaliation for the attack on us. Public sentiment at the time was understandably nationalistic, but even then there existed a loud anti-war movement that protested the invasion of Iraq. Now that the US has had a military presence in the area for 20 years, and has destabilized other parts of the region under Obama, many people here are totally sick of war and think we should bring all our troops home. To his credit, Trump has tried to wind down our presence in the Middle East, but there are many powerful interests within the US government that want to fight an endless war. Most Americans support ending our overseas conflicts and focusing on fixing domestic problems, but many of our leaders have nefarious intentions to keep us entangled in the region for their own profit.

Last edited: