I completely cut out alcohol - Dramatic weight loss

chunkygoth

now with extra yee haw
kiwifarms.net
I wish my room/mate would stop. Drinks easily a pint of vodka a night plus beer. Hides the bottles in the garage because he doesn't like when I drink. I finally quit - he hates fun and music and that's how I roll when I drink. I stopped to save from arguments and the cold shoulder all week because I dared to listen to Rush for an hour or two on my laptop. I know, I know, I'm just a terror!!

It's getting so bad he thinks people are videotaping him on their phones at work. He's a fucking mechanic, not a CIA agent for God's sake! He'll never go to the doctor because he knows what they will say; plus, he thinks HR or the insurance company will snoop on his records.
dude you need a new roommate

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

Mariposa Colorado

kiwifarms.net
I don't have any alcohol problems 'cause I don't like the taste.
However, I understand why people booze. I get how quickly you can get addicted so fast..
And therefore I have tremendous respect for the people who, especially after years and years of boozing, have decided to quit and get a better lifestyle.
I know it's hard.. not gonna PL but I know enough people that struggle.
Keep it up. it's worth it.

Looney Troons

i need that money i really do i need that money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used have a shot of Bulleit before I’d go to bed to calm me and accelerate the process of falling asleep, but noticed the bottle ended up on my nightstand and would be depleted within a week or so. Drinking alone is dangerous. I’ve lost friends because I’d numb myself to the point of not realizing I was firing off combative, drunken texts to those undeserving.

I only drink when I’m out and about with the lads, which is rare, otherwise I don’t see the point anymore.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I don't have any alcohol problems 'cause I don't like the taste.
However, I understand why people booze. I get how quickly you can get addicted so fast..
I don't drink either and it's for the same reason as you. Can't stand the taste, and it's so much so that I don't really understand why anyone would drink. Why drink something that tastes like shoe polish? To numb all your other senses? I dunno, I've never gotten drunk so I don't know how it's supposed to feel but I can't imagine it feels that good, even moreso that you have to drink quite a bit of something nasty just to get there.

Honestly I feel a little validated reading this thread. I've already resolved to not drink (albeit largely because of the taste), and reading the health benefits others have listed here only adds to that.

Looney Troons

i need that money i really do i need that money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Matter of taste is subjective. I eat ass, but I would never want to drink something that tasted like ass. You have Malört for that, those curious. There exist numerous cocktails that taste exquisite, and if mixed properly, you’d be none the wiser if alcohol was involved. Drinking a straight shot of anything can be disgusting. I can take shots of whisky and enjoy them, but I wince when I drink tequila.

My first alcoholic beverage was a Keystone Light after getting absolutely crushed at a game of beer pong. Some of this shit is just manufactured to be reviling, but serves a specific purpose, to get you drunk.

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
In my graduate years of college, I cut down on beer and switched to gin and vodka, and lost a shit ton of weight. Granted, I was asleep for like two-thirds of the day.

Last edited:

Chive Turkey

kiwifarms.net
Alcohol is also an appetite stimulant. By drinking less, you may also be eating less.
That really depends. Your casual heavy drinkers will definitely gorge on food after a bender, but a lot of serious alcoholics barely eat anything at all. They're too busy drinking all day erryday to reach a point of intoxication that feels like semi-functional normalcy, and by that point they're often too wasted to care about shit like nutrition.

I guess that, at a certain point, your body is so used to and dependent on alcohol that it becomes the only thing it really cares about and responds to.

• Agree
Reactions: Coleman Francis

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
I lost about 20 pounds when I stopped drinking and I'm under 5ft and have never been more than 130 pounds. I also stopped smoking weed so I was just barely eating because my appetite was completely gone.
It was pretty nuts. I ended up stopping cold turkey and had a seizure. It was absolutely terrifying.
So the next time I stopped, I ended up getting medical attention to prevent that from happening and ended up going to rehab.
It took about 5 months for my hands to stop shaking. I was drinking a stupid amount though, like half a gallon a day.

Good for you for stopping. It's incredibly difficult but after a bit of time, you feel so much better about it.
Glad you stopped when you did... A half gallon a day is an insane amount of booze. I actually had a roommate once who used to drink about 20-30 shots of Ten High whiskey a day. That fucker got so drunk so often that I felt positively normal in comparison. When he tried to quit, he decided that Xanax was a better idea... which ended up not being the case. Last I heard, he cleaned himself up and was a nuclear technician in the Navy.
That really depends. Your casual heavy drinkers will definitely gorge on food after a bender, but a lot of serious alcoholics barely eat anything at all. They're too busy drinking all day erryday to reach a point of intoxication that feels like semi-functional normalcy, and by that point they're often too wasted to care about shit like nutrition.

I guess that, at a certain point, your body is so used to and dependent on alcohol that it becomes the only thing it really cares about and responds to.
My problem was that I didn't like just drinking, so I'd smoke a ton of weed while doing so, which makes you ravenously hungry. So I would eat quite a bit once I was sufficiently fucked up, like complete shit of course, but at least I was getting enough calories from actual food. The times that I didn't have any weed, I'd still drink like an asshole, but I noticed that I never got really hungry, and in fact would think, "Hmm... If I eat food I won't be able to get nearly as drunk. Fuck eating, booze it is!"

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Alcohol is also an appetite stimulant. By drinking less, you may also be eating less.
Can confirm in my case.

I make a point to limit myself to drinking only on the weekends. Not binge drinking or anything like that, mind you, but just drinking in general. It's to maintain my weight by not consuming those empty calories, and also to eat less.

Once I have my first drink, I immediately get hungry, and I eat bigger meals when I'm drinking, too.

FadeIntoBolivian

kiwifarms.net
Good on anyone here who's made a change re: alcohol. I haven't had a single drink of any kind since June. All it took was losing important relationships because of it and generally just having gotten to a point where there was no possible way to delude myself "This is fine, I just need to be more careful". Being more of a "Get blackout drunk 2x a week" type tends to make your life harder to manage than just crushing a 6pack every day.

I've never been someone who's prone to gain weight, so idk what that feels like to quickly lose it, however, the financial difference is huge.

I live in BC which I honestly think has to be one of the more expensive places on earth to be a boozehound. When I go to Seattle or anywhere in the states, I'm always amazed at how if your goal was simply to get hammered, you can reliably accomplish that task for $10 and a trip to the gas station if you're not fussy about what you're drinking. South Korea is basically my idea of heaven on earth for the simple fact that $10 can buy you enough soju to get lit up and have change for snacks leftover, which you can then consume on a patio table outside the convenience store you got it from, and such activities are seen as normal and unremarkable. I loved Spain's architecture and vibe, almost as much as I loved buying bottles of actual decent wine for $5. I think to get wasted at home is at minimum a $20 commitment, but it can easily be $30+ if you don't want to just drink the cheapest stuff.

I'm not someone who's making a ton of money, so it's immediately noticable in a big way that I have an extra $400ish per month not being used on the most fleeting thing possible and can actually buy more useful shit I'd been just kind of thinking about before if I so please, replace worn out things before they get absolutely unusable, etc. I'm always amazed at how low income people (ie my peers) are often determined to stay that way via having unshakable commitments to alcohol, cigarettes, weed, etc. It honestly instantly makes me seem like a baller compared to some people in my line of work that I'm just never worried about where rent is going to come from, going out for a nice dinner or out of town once in a while simply because that money isn't being literally pissed away. This is probably the single biggest motivator/incentive for me to stay sober, it'd be a lot harder if I was rich I think.

Magenta

kiwifarms.net
You realise that alcohol is a drug right? When you quit it has a side effect on the body. You aren't loosing weight because you've stopped consuming something. This is withdrawal. The alcohol has begun sucking out all nutrients from your body to make you feel shit. Drink again and your will again and your body will allow itself to receive the benefit of nutrients. It's hella manipulative. If you really want to fight it then you need to eat lots of green beans, no cooking. It's the only way to relpenish all your nutrients when they're being dwarfed at consumption.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
I am an alcoholic, and have no shame in saying that, and I have been sober for nearly 3 years straight now.

I was the opposite end, once I stopped drinking, I actually put on 2 stone, because I was actually eating healthy. I was painfully thin before, because I was drinking a litre of vodka every day, and mostly passed out around 7pm and would just wake up about 5am to get another bottle. I was constantly drunk at work too, but because I was so far gone, I needed 350ml of vodka at work just to function. My way that I got round this was we all had our own sweet jars on our desks, for ourselves and clients to help themselves to. Mine were either herbal tablets or Fisherman's friend, and I was always conscious about breathing close to anyone...

I was so bad I ended up in rehab, (which was ok, because I got to meet some good people, a few minor UK celebrities LOL (really minor) and an ex world champion boxer, who is still friends with me to this day.) and had to do the medicated withdrawal over 40 days: 40 Librium tablets day one, 39 day 2, 38,37 etc etc.

I was so bad that cold turkey wasn't an option, and the only reason I went to rehab was my wife had left me because she was sick of my bullshit, and then I drank more than I usually did at work and passed out at my desk and got rumbled. They were good enough to pay half though, when I really thought I was getting the sack. Still was out about £12k paying the other half but it probably saved my life so money well spent.

Have no problem with other people drinking, but most people can handle it and just get wasted once in a while. Took me nearly 18 months to be even able to go into a pub or bar though socially. Otherwise I would have fucked up.

All good now, but man if it gets you, it's the worst drug because it is everywhere 24/7, like even now I've got half a bottle of wine in the fridge because I invite my aunt over for Sunday lunch each week, and she only has 2 small glasses so I'm saving it for her for next week. No temptation, because I know if I did, as soon as it kicked in, I'd be straight out getting vodka within minutes.

• Feels
Reactions: Coleman Francis
Tags
None