I heard a train tonight -

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I heard a train tonight. Its horn echoed across the miles between me and the tracks. At least 8 miles away. It's the first time in years I have heard a train. My window for once was open. The night air was clear and cold. And that mournful sound echoed into my bedroom in the way only a trains horns can. I wonder what it is that train is carrying. Is it orange juice? So many box cars from florida carrying the precious nectar to the harbor to ship to lands not kissed by the tropical sun. Maybe it is coal and oil? Rushed from the mountains to the Harbor where it will be sent to give warmth to people who have none? Or maybe it was people? Racing to points unknown, to do tasks important to them and irrelevant to me?

I heard a train tonight. It was moving, driving this country onwards. And it sounded so sad.

1Tonka_Truck

Loaded Like A Boxcar Moving Like A Racecar
kiwifarms.net
I live 7-8 miles from a UP mainline. When the weather is right I can hear the trucks hitting the concrete bridge from here, but I never hear the train horns for the crossings. The low thrum is almost soothing.

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Or maybe it was people? Racing to points unknown, to do tasks important to them and irrelevant to me?
Let's be real, unless you live in the Northeastern corridor it's all but guaranteed there weren't any passengers on that train.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
When I was growing up in the Montreal area, my house was only around 700 metres from the main Canadian National/Via Rail and Canadian Pacific (plus commuter train) lines between Montreal and Toronto and I got to hear trains intermittently day and night. The tracks were far enough away that the trains wouldn't wake me up if I was asleep but, when I was lying in bed awake, it was a comforting noise.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Subway trains, commuter trains, passenger trains, freight trains, cargo trains, every type of train is a few minutes away. Trains mean commerce and commerce means goods and goods means money. Trains make good things happen. Don't be sad.