I Watched 'The Simpsons' for the First Time Ever and I Couldn't Stand It - How did you people put up with Homer's nastiness for so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
The fundamental problem for me is I simply can’t relate to The Simpsons. It’s about a white family in a small, mostly white town. It imagines a vision of America that has never been mine and could never be mine.

Excuse me? You're a (half-) Asian women born into an upper class Bay Area family. You've lived a life of incredible wealth and privilege. Your inability to relate to a working class, small town family is not a condemnation of The Simpsons, but of you.

Firstly, trying to 'get' the simpsons now isn't going to work. The world has changed a bit and the show was always somewhat topical. It also existed in the context of its time, it was playing off a lot of sitcom tropes that don't really exist in the same way anymore. That was the joke with Homer, the stupid father. Father doesn't always know best. Get it? No, because that trope hasn't really been a thing for like 30 years at least? Then anything based on that won't land for you.

Their going to bat for marge is funny, but I guess based on the selection of episodes maybe it makes some sense. But if the writer actually watched the show and picked up on it, the idea is that the characters who are most "politically correct" are also shitty when they think they can get away with it. Marge is a gossipy lush. Lisa has a ridiculously narrow worldview, which they pointed out in that episode where she becomes a vegetarian and Apu calls her out for not following HIS dietary restrictions, saying that means he thinks she is terrible, but also you just have to accept that other people don't follow the same rules as you.

I want to make this writer watch all of married with children. I don't want them to write about it, just make them watch it.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, Simpsons would be great with her if Bart would troon out and go full trans. And Lisa, who's always been the SJW of the show, suddenly got dangerhair, joined ANTIFA and came home with a black boyfriend. I mean come on, the show just isn't relevant for liberal idiots.

It's a comedy, you stupid twat. The fact that it's the longest running animated show on TV means that there's a shit ton of people that actually enjoy it. Sorry to hear your parents never let you watch cartoons, or you might just see the humor in it.

• Winner
Reactions: Trilby
Well, Simpsons would be great with her if Bart would troon out and go full trans. And Lisa, who's always been the SJW of the show, suddenly got dangerhair, joined ANTIFA and came home with a black boyfriend. I mean come on, the show just isn't relevant for liberal idiots.

It's a comedy, you stupid twat. The fact that it's the longest running animated show on TV means that there's a shit ton of people that actually enjoy it. Sorry to hear your parents never let you watch cartoons, or you might just see the humor in it.
Eh... I'm with you for the first half, but I don't think the reason the simpsons is still on is because lots of people enjoy it. I think it's just... been done for so long they keep doing it.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think the reason the simpsons is still on is because lots of people enjoy it. I think it's just... been done for so long they keep doing it.

If it weren't getting ratings in its time slot, it would have been asta la vista'd by Fox a long time ago, I suspect. But you could be right. 30 seasons, 662 episodes - that's freakin' forever in TV land.

IFuckingLoveJoeBiden

Why, why, why, why, why
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember reading this a year ago, @CatParty. It came out in 2018 during the Apu craze when lefties were shitting on the Simpsons for their blunt response.

Why are you making a thread on this now? Is this peak trolling? Has A&H truly succumbed to be this dumb and not click to see the date of the article?

Edit: Oh, this is on Multimedia. Nevermind. Joke still stands.

Last edited:

Chaos Theorist

It would be spiteful To put jellyfish in a trifle
kiwifarms.net
I remember reading this a year ago, @CatParty. It came out in 2018 during the Apu craze when lefties were shitting on the Simpsons for their blunt response.

Why are you making a thread on this now? Is this peak trolling? Has A&H truly succumbed to be this dumb and not click to see the date of the article?
To be fair the date is tiny on the article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None