Ideas about Solipsism -

Schopenhauer's Turtle

The Final Ubermensch
kiwifarms.net
Solipsism -The philosophical beleif that becasue the only thing you are truly aware of is your mind, then you are the only thing that you can truly confirm exists, other minds may not exist.

Solipsism was rooted in the ideas of cartesian skepticism, Rene Decartes often found himself in a dream indestinguishable from reality, if it is possible for dreams to to decieve your senses sometimes then why not all the time? He thought.

What if God is the only being that truly exists and we are all just fragments of his imagination? Philosophical zombies. What if human existence is nothing more then a mere dream? If God is asleep right now and humanity is a dream, is the end of human existence just God waking up? Or this dream becoming a Lucid one for God?

Philosophical Zombies- Using this idea I am the only one I can prove exists, Philosophical Zombies on the outside they look just like me, by internally, they lack concious experience, for example, I can feel real pain, but Zombies cannot, they can only immitate pain, but not actually feel it.

If we are all philosophical Zombies then that means no one is, what if thats the reason why zombies are a common theme in horror literature? They are a reminder that we are just Gods Puppets using this theory. I doubt thats the main reason, although I think it's something interesting to think about.

Counter arguement to the Philosophical Zombie arguement:

Wittgenstein's private language arguement:

Speaking a language only you understood would make no logical sense as you are the only one that can uderstand it, ergo, if you mentioned your mental state to others, how could they understand your feelings if they themselves had no mental states of there own to reference. So feelings would be a private language of sorts. Infact, how could we assign feelings to words if noone but you understands them?

No Exit

Death and Taxes
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Congrats on achieving CHIM, OP.
I can't remember or find the word for it but isn't that the same thing that animals and toddlers do, where they can't or don't consider other people to be alive or think?

Expurgate Contradictions

A dog's rights activist, a lover, a friend.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's it, thanks.
I guess it's not quite the same thing but it has a similar vibe to it. Solipsism as an idea feels very immature and if more than one person believes in it becomes a contradiction.
It's taking your metaphysical ball and going home. "I can't lose an argument if everyone else is just an avatar of my subconscious! Checkmate!"
What if God is the only being that truly exists and we are all just fragments of his imagination?
We'd have to define existence, then. This is similar to "What if we all live in a simulation?". If the simulation exists the fact that we're inside of it doesn't call our existence into question. If God exists and we're just a part of his psyche then we obviously exist.

Ari Gold

I am not like you, Dana.
kiwifarms.net
I'm attracted to the idea of solipsism. But not in the way, that no other mind can exist but mine. More in the way, that I (nor anyone else) can never truly come to know anything outside their own mind.

I can surely communicate with other people. And attempt to see things from their perspective through language. But I can never really understand their perspective. I can only get to an approximation of what they are thinking. Meaning I can never experience anything outside my own mind.

Ari Gold

I am not like you, Dana.
kiwifarms.net

Check out this crap that Kurgesagt posted. God knows what this was doing on a science channel, but it's an interesting variation of this.
Past lives.... fucking gay.

Edit: It's all for me. Narcissistic fucks.

Expurgate Contradictions

A dog's rights activist, a lover, a friend.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know, right? Can you imagine the shitshow that would occur if reality was completely subjective and you couldn't actually conclude anything?
It doesn't even matter because it's impossible to explain how a mind, in absence of any sense experience, could generate all of the various phenomena in the universe. Or why, for that matter. I don't care for math at all, why would I make it so integral to reality or include it at all?

Why would I cause myself pain and sorrow when unmitigated ecstasy is on offer? The argument I've heard is that would get boring but why would I allow boredom?

Zarael

kiwifarms.net

Check out this crap that Kurgesagt posted. God knows what this was doing on a science channel, but it's an interesting variation of this.
Dunno why those "I fucking love science" guys eat this shit up when they're so intent on forcing everyone to believe reality is cold, sterile, indifferent to humanity and ruled entirely by impersonal laws of nature. If you want to believe that go ahead but spare us your "whoa dude" thought experiments about how cool it would be if you were completely fucking wrong about everything.

As for solipsism it's obviously stupid but serves a purpose for demonstrating why a purely empirical epistemology doesn't work since it can never get past the p-zombie problem since someone else's subjective experience of reality can never be accessed directly. Believing other people have minds is a rational conclusion inferred from the facts. But when you think about a scenario where an AI was created that acts exactly like a human how do you know it has consciousness or if it's just following extremely sophisticated programming? In a way our assumption that other people have minds rests entirely on the fact that they're the same type of being as we are. Replace the neurons of the brain with the silicon of a chip and the certitude we have that someone acting like they have consciousness means they do completely disappears.

Carlos Weston Chantor

Experienced For Her Pleasure
kiwifarms.net
Some of yall nerdy niggas really should hit the gym

Put a lot of weight on the bar then try reasoning with it that it doesn't really exist

Alternatively go to a combat sports gym, try some muay thai sparring to experimentally see if the other guy knees and elbows exist or not

DyingStarsForever

kiwifarms.net
I'm attracted to the idea of solipsism. But not in the way, that no other mind can exist but mine. More in the way, that I (nor anyone else) can never truly come to know anything outside their own mind.

I can surely communicate with other people. And attempt to see things from their perspective through language. But I can never really understand their perspective. I can only get to an approximation of what they are thinking. Meaning I can never experience anything outside my own mind.
That resembles Kant's transcendental idealism. There is an external, shared reality for all beings that is empirically real, but every "thing-in-itself" can only truly know itself. Impressions from the external world are "phenomena" according to him and internal thoughts are "nuomena". The two can never be fully reconciled.