If a lolcow wanted to stop being a lolcow, what would they have to do? -

ChurchOfGodBear

He's just this guy, you know?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first step is to stop giving a shit what people online say about you. Every LOLcow makes the same mistake: they discover criticism about themselves and decide they need to WIN against every troll on the planet. In the process, they get crazier and crazier, and transition from minor kook into full LOLcow.

A LOLcow needs to step back and stop engaging in the fight. This will usually mean they do less stupid shit, which means they have less to defend.

A distant second would be taking responsibility for bettering yourself, which is all well and good, but just not being so thin-skinned Would take many lolcows back under the radar.

Last edited:

MayMay

kiwifarms.net
This actually sounds like something helpful. Perhaps if it takes off it could be stickied for reference, especially for lolcows that wanna stop but don't know where to start.

Anyway, I think one of the most likely steps is to first take note of the differences in trolls. There's two kinds that get written off as such
- People who wanna piss you off for shits and giggles, the actual trolls.
- People who are actually bringing legitimate points to the table regarding your own attitude and behaviour.

Ignore the former and perhaps take what the latter says on board or at least listen. If you improve enough, the latter will likely respectfully leave you alone and ignoring the trolls pretty much cuts off the shits and giggles almost entirely.

Really if someone like Dobson or even Chris did that, many people would be willing to let them go.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Wacky Delly Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think in at least some cases, a "lolcow" isn't one to everyone, that is, not everyone thinks they're a laughingstock, as people sometimes have differing opinions of what's normal/good/etc.

However, like @ChurchOfGodBear put it, feeding the trolls by trying to silence any criticism and satire from them, will more or less certainly spread the person's "lolcowdom." A prime example of such was Chris' "TAKE THAT PAGE DOWN NOW" rage over the ED article about him. Conversely, not feeding (or at least no longer feeding) the trolls and allowing criticism and satire (for example, ignoring or even being flattered about an ED article because it's just satire*) has the opposite effect.

*ED even says about itself to "expect blatant, biased lies, and expect boring truths to get deleted quickly."

Last edited:

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Fredegunde

Evilest Stepmother
kiwifarms.net
I guess it depends on whether you mean "stop being a lolcow" as in "stop having the internet identity of a lolcow," or whether you mean, "become the type of person who wouldn't be a lolcow." Because if it's the former, then I think all the comments people already made are relevant.

Buuut . . . the problem with all the more well-known lolcows isn't just what they do online; it's also what we know of their personal lives. Chris wouldn't be half the lolcow he is if he had just drawn Sonichu and make stupid videos. What makes him such a lolcow is also what we know about his home life. I think the actual fundamental problem with most lolcows is that they're all people who never grew up. It's not like Pixy posts ugly cosplays and stupid stuff about wanting to be Japanese in her spare time, but then goes off to her successful job as an accountant or whatever. ADF is funny because (s)he doesn't put much irl effort into transitioning. Jace is . . . Jace.

So I think if someone wanted to actually stop having the personality of a lolcow, they would have to become a lot more pragmatic. They would have to be able to say, "Okay, I still want to write my opus about Loki and Thor's tragic romance, but for the time being I'll have to put that on the back burner and focus on other things." I think most lolcows are lolcows basically because they lack any sense of priorities. That goes into the feeding the trolls thing, too. Lolcows flip out when they feel like their fantasy world has been insulted because it's literally all they have. It's a way bigger priority in their lives than it should be, so they're really defensive about it.

The Knife's Husbando

Combat pragmatist
kiwifarms.net
1. Get a job. Pay for your own place, food and gear. Get out of Mom's basement.
2. Get off the internet unless it's absolutely necessary- as in checking your bank balance or bills.
3. Avoid drama. #1 &#2 help immensely with this.
4. Go through your past. Find where you've fucked up and fix it.
5. Work on self-improvement. Realizing when you're wrong, maintaining a normal ego level, try learning something new.
6. Work on your personal appearance. Hygiene is only optional if you're camping.

sparklemilhouse

America Online for Dummies™
kiwifarms.net
Stop posting pics of yourself. I was trolled on Flickr several times by someone who just wanted to make fun of my appearance. I locked all the photos of myself up and they went away.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Wacky Delly Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Most of all, cut down on the narcissism.
I was just going to post something like this. All the ones I've heard about seem to have massive ego problems.

Every LOLcow makes the same mistake: they discover criticism about themselves and decide they need to WIN against every troll on the planet. In the process, they get crazier and crazier, and transition from minor kook into full LOLcow.
Reminds me of the Iconoclast thread. It almost went down exactly that way.

2. Get off the internet unless it's absolutely necessary- as in checking your bank balance or bills.
Or one could learn to laugh at themselves along with others, while not stirring up further drama. I guess it'd depend on the situation though. That would take humility, however.

Last edited:

Pikonic

Now catchable in Pokémon GO
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Learn to stop getting angry and be able to laugh at themselves.

Jace:
What he should have done
- "Lol! You guys keep sending me grilled cheeses! Thanks, I need the reminders I burned my house down. #gamerhumor"

What he did
-"OKOKOKOKOK U NERDS STOP TWEETING ME GRILLED CHEESSE! IM SRS FAGGOTS!"

Pixyteri:
What she should of done
-"Wow you guys! Why do you like pictures of my fat ass?‽ Y'all are the crazy ones!
What she did
- " STOP DISTRIBUTING MY NOODZ!"

Chris:
What he should have done
-"lol k! You got me guys! I'm totes gay! Whatever don't hate"
What he did
-literally everything he shouldn't have done. Shecameforcwc, admitting he shits his briefs, yelled on YouTube.

c-no

Psalty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much what anyone has said: tone down your ego, don't feed the trolls, understand what made you the lol-cow so you can fix it, and even what the Knife's Husbando said, stay off the internet unless it's for something important such as checking the money you have in the bank.

The Knife's Husbando

Combat pragmatist
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much what anyone has said: tone down your ego, don't feed the trolls, understand what made you the lol-cow so you can fix it, and even what the Knife's Husbando said, stay off the internet unless it's for something important such as checking the money you have in the bank.
Stay off the internet. This is paramount. The internet- while basically being a good thing- is an absolutely fecund breeding ground for drama of all kinds, can connect you with umpteen-hundred trolls, and is also a distraction of the highest caliber. None of these are good for you at this point in your life if you're a Lolcow not wanting not to be Lolcow anymore. You need to focus on the physical universe in your arm's reach, and on improving your life.

I speak from personal experience. I have a close relative who is one notch short of being a tried-n'-true Lolcow. The only thing that's saved him is breaks from the internet.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino